The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-29-2010, 11:41 AM

Default "Classical Strap"???

Do any of you use a strap for your nylon? I'm assuming that the crossover guitars have endpin buttons & such like a steel string, but most classical guitars don't.

I've seen the type that wrap under the guitar and hook onto the soundhole. It seems like this would chew up the wood there.

Anyone have any experience here?

Aparicio AA100 Classical Spruce/IR
Guild GAD-50e (meh)
Old 12-29-2010, 11:47 AM

No experience yet but I'm about to install a strap on mine. All that is required is a couple of strap buttons (one in the heel and one in the end block). I'm looking forward to having the option of playing seated or standing.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:05 PM

Default "Classical Strap"???

Do any of you use a strap for your nylon? I'm assuming that the crossover guitars have endpin buttons & such like a steel string, but most classical guitars don't.

I've seen the type that wrap under the guitar and hook onto the soundhole. It seems like this would chew up the wood there.

Guild GAD-50e (meh)
Old 12-29-2010, 12:51 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

I jammed a strap button onto an old fernandes classical that I had, worked pretty well. I'd recommend sticking it into the heel cap (if that's the right term), and not on the underside of the neck like some acoustic manufacturers recommend. This makes it easier to get at those nasty upper frets. Just make sure you drill out your holes first, to avoid splitting and destroying the instrument. FWIW, I'd never do this to my Alhambra.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:42 PM

Default Solution to the problem?

I avoided drilling another hole in my guitar (for a second strap button) by using this. You can locate it several places around and on the headstock. I opted for sliding the cord under the strings near the nut. I got the idea from that wonderful classical guitar player, Giacomo Fiore. If you'd like to hear his remarkable control of tremolo and a beautiful tune by Armando Corsi, click here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QGT31NK-rg

And here's the link for the strap clip;

http://www.zzounds.com/item--DADDGS15

T_D_C_
Old 12-29-2010, 01:51 PM

Default Advantages . . . .

And by the way, I really love playing with a strap! It's so comfortable, you don't need a dam footstool (which gives me a neck-ache after 20 minutes!), and you can play the guitar almost vertically, like Giacomo.
See how totally relaxed his left arm and hand position are!
Holding the guitar more vertically allows a more perpendicular position of the left hand in relation to the strings and neck.
If you think that playing with a strap isn't "traditional" and therefore not for you, okay, but give it a try before condemning it.
I'm betting you'll never go back.

T_D_C_
Old 12-29-2010, 04:19 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeddingGuy View Post

I use one of those straps. The hook is smooth and does not mark the guitar at all. I found the strap to be totally unsuitable for me. It dictates the angle of the guitar and that is not where I want it to be. So the guitar is always having to be reajusted. I think I will put on strap buttons also.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:01 PM

Tommy,

I'd forgotten about the G.Fiore thing--that looks interesting.

I tried the Zsounds link that you included. It took me to something that doesn't seem to be a strap....

Thank you all for the many good suggestions.

Guild GAD-50e (meh)
Old 12-29-2010, 06:16 PM

Kenny Hill offered a "standup" classical model a few years back. Kenny, who's also an excellent player, has used the standup model in numerous live performances. Looks as if the strap is attached at the heel of the neck.

http://hillguitar.blogspot.com/searc...tandup%20model
Old 12-29-2010, 07:42 PM

Other than Willie Nelson, I have never seen anyone use that type of strap. I used to see them listed on Elderly Instruments website. But it has been awhile. Haven't seen them elsewhere.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:21 PM
Charter Member

I've seen plenty of Mariachi players use that kind of strap while photographing Mexican weddings! Probably how WeddingGuy saw them too I would suppose!
Old 12-29-2010, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeddingGuy View Post
Tommy,

I'd forgotten about the G.Fiore thing--that looks interesting.

I tried the Zsounds link that you included. It took me to something that doesn't seem to be a strap....

Thank you all for the many good suggestions.
It's not a strap, it's a nice little cord with a snap release attached that you attach to the headstock AND to the end of your guitar strap (with the quick-release gadget in between) - so you can quick-release the strap. The other end of the ordinary guitar strap attaches to the strap-peg on the end of the guitar body. Get it?

T_D_C_
Old 12-29-2010, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman3 View Post
I use one of those straps. The hook is smooth and does not mark the guitar at all. I found the strap to be totally unsuitable for me. It dictates the angle of the guitar and that is not where I want it to be. So the guitar is always having to be reajusted. I think I will put on strap buttons also.
You hook grippers around the edge of the sound hole in the sound board to support the weight of the guitar while playing it? No thanks! Not if I have a guitar I value!
Also, if the strap is connected to the headstock (and at the end of the box) it will firmly and securely stay at any angle you place it at - especially if the rougher-surfaced back of the strap is next to your body. (Hint; don't buy a strap that's smooth on both sides. Buy a cheap one.)
Tommy_
Old 12-29-2010, 10:55 PM

Would this be the one you are referring to:

http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/sto...l+Guitar+Strap

Never used one before but it works for Willie...
Old 12-30-2010, 11:17 AM

Question

OK, I think I get it....

I did see Willie using his famous red, white, &blue "SamAsh" style strap many years ago--my dad was a huge Willie fan back in the day. However, I wasn't a player back then and didn't really pay attention to those kinds of details.

Many years later, I owned a cheap, pawnshop Yamaha classical (still have it) and saw some street buskers in Germany wearing similar straps. I bought a cheap one at a guitar store in Germany and brought it home and used it occasionally on said guitar. Didn't play much guitar back then as I was working on a double bass degree (why would anyone do that???). I can no longer locate the cheap guitar strap & was wondering what all of you real guitarists out there use....:-)

Guild GAD-50e (meh)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical