The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-22-2018, 07:38 AM

I went from a bike to a trike several years ago with the onset of some knee issues.

Bikes are more fun. But a trike is a great alternative if there are issues with riding a bike.

I sold mine when the wife lost interest in riding.
Old 09-22-2018, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Boy that brings memories and is a nice looking reissue of a classic.. I must admit I am astounded how dramatically the appearance of the seat changes when viewed on the right side than from the left
It's just an optical illusion. Maybe the way the sun is hitting it.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:56 PM

At 500lbs my Honda Shadow 600 is a good fit for me, old school spoked, chain driven with a tall 4sp clunky gearbox. My wife had a big CB750 dropped on her back in the day, so two up riding is not an option now. Suits me as I don't like two up. Old timers that I ride up to say they love their 3 wheelers, they say they've tired of holdup up their Gold Wings or big HD's. I may get one when I'm old (61 is not old, to me). Mrs says she'll ride on a trike, cool.
Old 09-22-2018, 09:57 PM

I'm 67 and had been riding off and on since I was 17. When I was 61 a couple of incidents convinced me it was time to go to three wheels if I was going to keep riding. After a LOT of research my wife and I decided on a CanAm Spyder RT...the touring model. The best decision I could have made, riding wise. I rode the Spyder until last December when I finally had to quit when a broken left ankle couldn't take the vibrations through the foot peg anymore.

Three wheels kept me riding for over six good years longer than I would have thought. If you want to keep riding, three wheels is often the way to go. I doubt you'd regret it.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Three-wheeled motorcycle, also known as a "Trike" or what I call a "tip-over"

I still remember the whole tip-over Honda ATC90 debacle that spawned the four-wheeler industry (for good reason). I never understood why street trikes were still legal while off road trikes were banned.

Now, a Slingshot is a great solution! Or even a Gemini.
A trike, either two wheels in back or two in front, are far, far more stable than the atvs were. They haven't been banned because there's no need to.

Slingshot are three wheeled cars. My state calls them autocycles.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:27 PM
Charter Member

Started out on off road Enduros then moved up to in-line 4 street and touring bikes. A few years ago I transitioned to v-twins. I Just don’t have the need for speed anymore.

if I were to ever do another cross country trip I think a trike or perhaps a spider would be a preference.

Here’s my current ride

Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 09-23-2018, 10:33 AM

I suggest you try a sidecar rig. I rode a Goldwing trike for 10 years and a sidecar rig for 3 years, but never two wheels. So the lean is and never was important to me. I tried a Can Am Spyder, but I just couldn't get comfortable with the throttle and other controls. A sidecar is a different animal, to be sure; but it has its own pleasures and benefits. Good luck on your journey to whatever style of riding you will ultimately choose.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:43 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdeane View Post
I suggest you try a sidecar rig. I rode a Goldwing trike for 10 years and a sidecar rig for 3 years, but never two wheels. So the lean is and never was important to me. I tried a Can Am Spyder, but I just couldn't get comfortable with the throttle and other controls. A sidecar is a different animal, to be sure; but it has its own pleasures and benefits. Good luck on your journey to whatever style of riding you will ultimately choose.
I’ve never read a discussion about sidecars, so if you can, I’d appreciate knowing more about your perspectives. A potential downside for me, moreso my wife is that I don’t think she’d like sitting lower to the ground, and not being able to have an unobstructed view of the surroundings on the other side of the bike. Plus, I think she prefers snuggling me from behind...you know the warmth factor in cooler weather.

How easy are they to install/remove, and when removed, are there any ugly brackets, etc.?
Old 09-23-2018, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
I’ve never read a discussion about sidecars, so if you can, I’d appreciate knowing more about your perspectives. A potential downside for me, moreso my wife is that I don’t think she’d like sitting lower to the ground, and not being able to have an unobstructed view of the surroundings on the other side of the bike. Plus, I think she prefers snuggling me from behind...you know the warmth factor in cooler weather.

How easy are they to install/remove, and when removed, are there any ugly brackets, etc.?
You don't see this for you and her ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 09-23-2018, 12:32 PM

they say that the older you get the more you revert to your childhood.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic