The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-21-2021, 06:00 AM

Adding a note to the thread so I can find Doug’s video later!
Old 09-22-2021, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCDC View Post
Greetings! First post here after just discovering the forum.

I'm losing my mind lately, trying to record my acoustic guitar at home. Unbelievable amounts of harsh resonant frequencies, particularly in the upper mids & highs. Using phosphor bronze strings. Have experimented with different strings, gauges, picks... even finger picking results in the same.

I do frequency sweeping and just cannot get anything useable. The ringing, metalic, feedback-sounding whirs and tones are too numerous across at too many frequencies.

Primarily using matched pair of Aston Starlight pencil condenser mics, Aston Spirit large diaphragm condenser, but have tried 2 other large diaphragm condenser vocal mics I have, and a different matched pair of pencils. All the same.

Using a Scarlett 18i8 interface, Logic ProX.

I definitely need to do more treatment on my room (poor 10x10 setup, but it's what I have available.) Have tried other larger rooms... different mic positions, settings, etc. And we're not talking just flutter echo, nor boxy low mid room noise.

Just hoping to confirm that I'm not crazy, and others have solved this for themselves at times -- or, that I'm just clueless and making some kind of rookie mistake.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Have you tried another guitar?
Old 09-22-2021, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
Have you tried another guitar?
I was wondering that also but then realized he says is using this model Guitar (below) , so I am guessing it is not the guitar.

Since its' the same problem with different mics and in different rooms

I would think , its either something with his mixing EQ and compression boosting etc.

Or, wonder if maybe something is wrong with the Scarlett pre's or converters ??????

I would think this would be a decent reference track to shoot for, sound wise

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 09-22-2021, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I would think , its either something with his mixing EQ and compression boosting etc.
I don't see how one can know without hearing a track - even then it's hard to diagnose. Too many variables. But with nothing to hear, it's as if I posted "I made dinner last night, and it tasted bad, what'd I do wrong?" :-)

We need to hear an example. My bet would be room acoustics or mic placement - but that's only because that's 99% of the problems people have when they post here. Otherwise, it's just a random guess.

Last edited by Doug Young; 09-22-2021 at 02:50 PM.
Old 09-22-2021, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I don't see how one can know without hearing a track - even then it's hard to diagnose. Too many variables. But with nothing to hear, it's as if I posted "I made dinner last night, and it tasted bad, what'd I do wrong?" :-)

We need to hear an example. My bet would be room acoustics or mic placement - but that's only because that's 99% of the problems people have when they post here. Otherwise, it's just a random guess.
I agree of course, an example would be a best starting point... But I did not say I "knew" anything . I said "I would think" which is admittedly speculation, I was offering based on him did mentioning that he first did subtractive EQ, and then compression, and then EQ boost,... And was it not you who advised him to not do any of that, until he got a decent recording first ? Which is what I was alluding too but did not specify.

My point was (and I could be mistaken) but the sound samples I have heard of the two guitars he mentions leads me to believe it's probably not the guitar/s

And the fact he mentions recording in a different bigger room same issue , suggests it may not be the room either ???
And the fact he mentions other mics same issue , suggests it may not be the mics. ( I had not thought of ,, but do agree, mic placement could certainly be a factor that could span different mics and or rooms ) ...

And was simply musing , that seems to leave only his mixing or something in his chain, besides the mics, ???? But you are correct without a sample ,,,is just a random guess

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 09-22-2021 at 03:32 PM.
Old 09-22-2021, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
And was it not you who advised him to not do any of that, until he got a decent recording first ?
Yep, that's the other thing we've seen here more than once - someone doing processing to a track that messes it up. Possibly related to the other suggestion someone had - what is being used to listen on?

Quote:
And the fact he mentions recording in a different bigger room same issue , suggests it's not the room
And the fact he mentions other mics same issue , suggests it's not the mics. ( I had not thought of ,, but do agree mic placement could certainly be a factor that could span different mics ) ...

To me, that seems to leave only his mixing or something in his chain, besides the mics, ????
Reasonable guesses! Tho I think 2 rooms having bad acoustics isn't unusual, and mic placement can be wrong in both. These days, even cheap recording gear sounds pretty acceptable, so I generally don't suspect the gear, tho of course something could be broken or misconfigured, and we have a few cases here lately where someone did vastly improve after replacing a low-end interface or mics.

Seems like a post of an example would allow people to help more quickly. I suspect some people don't want to post examples because they think the performance isn't polished enough. For this kind of issue, just playing a couple of chords would suffice, just something simple so we can hear the problem.
Old 09-22-2021, 03:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Yep, that's the other thing we've seen here more than once - someone doing processing to a track that messes it up. Possibly related to the other suggestion someone had - what is being used to listen on?

Reasonable guesses! Tho I think 2 rooms having bad acoustics isn't unusual, and mic placement can be wrong in both. These days, even cheap recording gear sounds pretty acceptable, so I generally don't suspect the gear, tho of course something could be broken or misconfigured, and we have a few cases here lately where someone did vastly improve after replacing a low-end interface or mics.

Seems like a post of an example would allow people to help more quickly. I suspect some people don't want to post examples because they think the performance isn't polished enough. For this kind of issue, just playing a couple of chords would suffice, just something simple so we can hear the problem.
Could not agree more. note I have edited some since you quoted ...........I have a bad habit of posting first and analyzing later.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 09-22-2021, 06:30 PM

Quote:
I was wondering that also but then realized he says is using this model Guitar (below) , so I am guessing it is not the guitar.
Thanks, Kev. I didn't see that.
Old 09-24-2021, 10:52 AM

If you are just throwing up a little foam, blankets, or thin panels, you really aren't doing much that will help. Uncontrolled bass will cause most of the problems in a small room -- even if what you are hearing is in the high frequencies. You need some decent bass trapping where you can fit it in.

Check out the last half of this video to hear the difference between a treated and untreated room. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9u6rvWSTDM Last quarter of it even has an acoustic guitar.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 09-25-2021, 12:54 AM

I have had a similar problem from time to time in the past, usually has to do with the software routing for my recording interface. Not sure what or how the Scarlet software console looks like or how it works, but I notice something similar happens when my routing is wrong. Try to start with a new default console setting, and turn down the faders for any unnecessary inputs and outputs. It is hard to explain or advise you properly, but for what it is worth, good luck! There are so many variables to consider.
Old 10-08-2021, 11:13 AM

Red face

Wow - sorry, day job blew up and haven't had time to check back in or supply a sample. But quick update:

1. @Doug Young - AWESOME video you posted. Really appreciate the time put into that and lots of great info.

2. Just grabbed a different interface today to try out because I'm suspecting it might have something to do with the pre's or the ADC. Will report back. (And post a sample so it's not so much of a "I cooked dinner last night and it tasted bad. Help." sort of thing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD