The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-18-2021, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

Smile Slot head steel string tuners

John Kinnaird and I are discussing A slot head steel string for my next build.

I would appreciate any input regarding the best functioning three on a plate tuners for a slot head.
Not that it matters, but it may well be a large body 12 fret.
Perhaps a long body short scale Slope Dread this time around... with our full Pablo Package of ergonomic and comfort features. Woohoo

For a paddle head I am quite happy with Gotoh 510 minis.

Any suggestions on a slot Headstock tuner that comes close to the smoothness and stability of the 510s?

Looks will be secondary, but I would like lightweight, with non metal buttons, and bushings on both ends of the posts.

This place is a font of info, and I look forward to your input!

John has used a set like these and liked them:

https://www.lmii.com/gotoh-slot-head...d-buttons.html

Thanks all

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More

Last edited by Guitars44me; 06-18-2021 at 04:35 PM.
Old 06-18-2021, 03:23 PM
Charter Member

Lynn Dudenbostel is finishing a 12 fret dread for me right now, and we ended up using 3-on-a-plate Rodgers tuners. When they arrived at his shop, he said they were noticeably smoother than Waverly or Gotoh (both of which I have on current guitars with no complaints).
They'll make whatever design you can imagine, and their button choices are endless. It depends on what fits your aesthetic, though. Pricey for tuners, but they look like jewelry and work flawlessly.
Old 06-18-2021, 05:52 PM

I haven’t used the Rodgers 3-on-a-plate yet, but their individual guitar tuners are the finest I’ve encountered.
Old 06-18-2021, 06:17 PM

Not particularly what you asked for, but I'm very partial to Grover Deluxe Sta-tites. I pull the butterbean buttons and replace them with ebony buttons.
I've used many dozens of sets of these and love the feel and accuracy of them.

The double bushings make for a pretty small area for re-stringing, increase the difficulty of installing any slot head tuner and don't add any stability to the tuning. You may be going for the look, though.

Old 06-18-2021, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

Hello Paul

I have no concrete experience but I have done some reading in this area and just a bunch of ideas… so not sure if I will contribute to your decision-making but anyway:

1. A lot of luthiers and owners will tell you that if money is no object then Rodgers or Grafs are the best tuners that money can buy. You alone may decide if it’s worth the upgrade but they are certainly PRETTY with endless customizations and engravings possible, which obviously add on to the cost further.

2. At a notch below in terms of pricing, Scheller (not Schaller) from Germany are being raved about with everyone who has come across them saying it’s the best. No reason to doubt that as Germans are known for precision / engineering, and they look great and modern. I know that if you order through JK you might fashion a luthier’s discount.

3. Then you have Alessi’s from Italy. He has been around for a long time and is more well-known for his classical tuners. For my LS/ABW I went with Alessi’s because it had the right look and the right price for me, all things considered. I obviously haven’t used them yet so I can’t comment on functionality, but I can tell you all about the experience from initial contact to delivery!

4. Not gonna say much about the Waverlies and Sloanes because everyone will have good and bad things to say about those.

5. Dark horse alert - VS tuners from Brazil. I think they look exceptional, not too expensive, and also have been touted to perform very very well, punching above its weight. They are super highly regarded in the classical community in Brazil. Does not have much marketing presence in the US but I know of some luthiers who have used them (Lamehorse, Tyler Robbins, Dion Bews). Waiting time is quite long, but I think if you do your research and order reasonably soon you will still make it well in advance before John needs them.

If you have a budget and a look you are shooting for then it might be easier to narrow down the selection.
Old 06-18-2021, 08:23 PM
AGF Sponsor

The best affordable tuner, in terms of smoothness, accuracy, and reliability, is the Schertler open back, IMO. It does not come 3 on a plate as far as zi am aware, but does come set up for a slot head. It works nicely compared to the 510, which cannot be said about the various Butterbeans.
Old 06-18-2021, 10:00 PM
Charter Member

Smile Thank you ALL

Many Thanks to all for the great info. I have read a lot already about some of these, and a bunch of former AGF threads, but that is NOT the same as using them all. Obviously...

I am not near as concerned with looks as with functionality. I do sometimes change tunings on stage, especially when I can only take one axe to a gig. That can make for a LOT of knob twisting.

Simple looks with comfy buttons seems great to me. John will no doubt make the instrument beautiful as always!

My beat up hands do NOT appreciate difficult tuners. One nice feature of the slot heads is the backwards facing knobs. But if they are difficult to turn or dial in any ergonomic gains will evaporate.

Off to do more reading!

Thanks again everyone!!!

Salud

Paul

96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

More
Old 06-19-2021, 02:10 AM
Music soothes the soul!

If you have time, Alessi (in Italy) makes some of the smoothest 3-on-a-plate tuners I've ever experienced. I have a set on my OM DB from Kinnaird West.

Old 06-19-2021, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

I too attest to Alessi. They IMHO have the best combination of both looks and functionality. They of course are a step up in price from other well made tuners and also have to be ordered well in advance, for they are handmade in Italy. With that said, they are certainly a bargain compared to some other extremely high tuners out there.

However, if its accuracy, ergonomics, ease of turning, smoothness, and simplicity (especially if you're gigging with it), I would put Schertlers on it as Bruce suggested. They are every bit as good as Gotoh's IMO, and I believe they are around the same price point. There's no doubt about it, they are a great open back tuner. Their only hang up is some people don't like their modern look, and for a slot head, you won't have them on a plate.
Old 06-19-2021, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

I love my Rogers…3 on a plate, that are on my Stephen Kinnaird beauty! I do think the feel better tuning than any other tuners I have…Gotahs, Waverlys, etc.

Mark Hatcher Pina Parlor Torrified Maple/Cedar
Stephen Kinnaird 00 B&W Ebony/Engelmann Spruce
Simon Fay African Blackwood/Sinker Redwood
Wolfgang Jellinghaus Torres Modelo 43S Maple/Spruce
K Yairi CYTM Maple/Cedar
Old 06-19-2021, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

Smile Nice combo of features...

"However, if its accuracy, ergonomics, ease of turning, smoothness, and simplicity (especially if you're gigging with it), I would put Schertlers on it as Bruce suggested. They are every bit as good as Gotoh's IMO, and I believe they are around the same price point. There's no doubt about it, they are a great open back tuner. Their only hang up is some people don't like their modern look, and for a slot head, you won't have them on a plate."

I believe this list covers my bases, and I would be fine without the 3 on a plate. thanks Nootis and ALL.

John, are you lurking? Hahaha

Anyone else with ideas?

Salud

Paul

96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

More
Old 06-19-2021, 01:41 PM
AGF Sponsor

Yes I am. I must say that I'm drawn to Alessi. For some reason I'm also drawn to 3 on a plate instead of individual tuners for slothead.
Old 06-20-2021, 12:57 PM

How does one buy an Alessi set? I looked at their web page and didn't find anything about ordering, prices, delivery time. Did I miss it? thnx/jd
Old 06-20-2021, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeld View Post
How does one buy an Alessi set? I looked at their web page and didn't find anything about ordering, prices, delivery time. Did I miss it? thnx/jd
You can ask for a quote on the website. I phoned them up and spoke to Nicolo Alessi himself!

Otherwise, google the tuners to see who stocks them and the prices.

Jonny
Old 06-20-2021, 04:30 PM
AGF Sponsor

While Alessi and Rogers are on another level of existence than what is normally demanded, and one does get what one pays for, we have also had good success with the 3-on plate tuners from Stew-Mac. Not the Golden Age, as I have no experience with those, but the engraved version, 3-on plate with a variety of button options available. There is an aesthetic to these making them suitable to a more traditional look. I think these would work well on he project you have in mind. Just another option!

Crafted in the Piney Woods

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop