The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Events and New Releases

Old 02-10-2019, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Kraus View Post
These days especially, it would be nice to get away from the constant political arguments, I can see that.
I am actually working on THESE DAYS right now, trying to get his finger style on this song down. It's quite excellent.
2016 Taylor 214ce-Nylon
2015 Ventura VWDONAT
Old 02-10-2019, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
You probably don’t like Steve Earle, Bob Dylan, David Crosby, Pete Seeger (RIP), etc., either.

Personally, I’m glad for Brown’s — and others’ — message 50 years ago and reminders now.
I think that's great. I do like all those guys and more, as long as they just play their music.
Call me cynical but to me the rest is "been there, done that, got the t-shirt,
moved on."

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Eastman E10 00 Sunburst
And a Copperburst Tele
Old 02-11-2019, 09:09 AM

I saw JB about 4 yrs ago, (also saw him in the early 80's with full band), and he was touring with Sarah Watkins and her brother Shawn. He came out and sang harmony on a couple of her songs and Sarah and Shawn came out and supported him on a few of his songs.
One of the best concerts I've ever attended.

He has a casual style and doesn't appear to have a fixed set list. He even takes requests as long as the audience doesn't get too obnoxious. The concerts are intimate and you feel like you are listening to him play in your living room.

He didn't get political or preachy. I think most people that come to hear him know his political stance, and most people that have followed his career as dedicated fans probably align pretty closely with those same views.

He is one of the best singer/songwriters of the last 50 years. He is also an underrated guitar player. His songs tend to be introspective, so if your looking for a dance party you'll be disappointed.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by architype View Post
I saw JB about 4 yrs ago, (also saw him in the early 80's with full band), and he was touring with Sarah Watkins and her brother Shawn. He came out and sang harmony on a couple of her songs and Sarah and Shawn came out and supported him on a few of his songs.
One of the best concerts I've ever attended.

He has a casual style and doesn't appear to have a fixed set list. He even takes requests as long as the audience doesn't get too obnoxious. The concerts are intimate and you feel like you are listening to him play in your living room.

He didn't get political or preachy. I think most people that come to hear him know his political stance, and most people that have followed his career as dedicated fans probably align pretty closely with those same views.

He is one of the best singer/songwriters of the last 50 years. He is also an underrated guitar player. His songs tend to be introspective, so if your looking for a dance party you'll be disappointed.
That was JB at his absolute best. That tour was the second time I had seen him and it was the far better of the two shows.

I don't recall him saying almost anything that could even be remotely viewed as incendiary or political. He was/is super dry and self-depricating and he tells some funny little stories, but, even knowing his lefty-lean, I don't really think I noticed him being overt in the least bit.

That tour with Sara and Sean and Val McCallum on lead guitar was an incredible show because of the sheer talent (don't know the rhythm section, but they were impeccable too).

I was lucky and got to go hang out with Jackson and the others after the show for like 2 hours. Val was pretty funny about how there is no set list and they would often do these huge rehearsals during soundcheck to play a bunch of stuff cuz JB just kinda wants to get a feel so he knows what might be good to pull out. But, as he's known to do with his large library, he also let us shout stuff at him all night and he'd go "oh, yeah...I have the guitar for that." then he'd walk to this rack of about 30 guitars, pick one out and come sit down and bust into the song. It was the furthest thing from boring as a fan of his and a fan of guitar.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTexan View Post
I am actually working on THESE DAYS right now, trying to get his finger style on this song down. It's quite excellent.
Yep, great song, one of my favorites!
Old 02-11-2019, 08:53 PM
Charter Member

Default Yep

He knows his way around finger style, that's for sure.
2016 Taylor 214ce-Nylon
2015 Ventura VWDONAT

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Events and New Releases