The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-28-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
Russ,
Thanks for sharing but don't rush to judgement quite yet. Heat induced buffer shrinkage of the finish back into the wood pores will not likely show up until sometime in a 1-4 week window.

I also just noticed that this is a polyurethane product. Another test you might want to perform is a bump test, with the sharp corner of a hammer head. You have to hit the wood hard enough to dent it slightly. Polyurethane products, typically have poor adhesion properties, especially if the surface is subjected to an abrupt bump against a sharp object. Many poly products will de-laminate from the substrate or base material and will show up as a white or cloudy circle in the finish. You can often read "cross hatch" test data if the OEM performed that adhesion test? This is a different test than a bump test but it is another metric to which many finish products are measured. The bump test simulates what a guitarist might encounter, if they bumped their guitar against a sharp corner, like a corner of a coffee table. When the finish de-laminates its an easy repair with CA but its a tell tale sign to the repair person that the finish has poor adhesion properties.
Thank you for that, Tim. Very helpful info.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
Russ,
Thanks for sharing but don't rush to judgement quite yet. Heat induced buffer shrinkage of the finish back into the wood pores will not likely show up until sometime in a 1-4 week window.

I also just noticed that this is a polyurethane product. Another test you might want to perform is a bump test, with the sharp corner of a hammer head. You have to hit the wood hard enough to dent it slightly. Polyurethane products, typically have poor adhesion properties, especially if the surface is subjected to an abrupt bump against a sharp object. Many poly products will de-laminate from the substrate or base material and will show up as a white or cloudy circle in the finish. You can often read "cross hatch" test data if the OEM performed that adhesion test? This is a different test than a bump test but it is another metric to which many finish products are measured. The bump test simulates what a guitarist might encounter, if they bumped their guitar against a sharp corner, like a corner of a coffee table. When the finish de-laminates its an easy repair with CA but its a tell tale sign to the repair person that the finish has poor adhesion properties.
Thanks Tim . I will wait and see . The white ash test piece is quite thin and so will be easily heated by buffing. By the time I am in need of pore filling again, there will be a suitable period of time passed.
I am not sure if a bump test would indicate pore filling suitability. I certainly wouldn't consider using this product, with a viscosity like epoxy, as anything but a pore filler.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop