The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-29-2007, 05:43 PM

Default Do graphite guitars chip or dent?

So far so good but I'm wondering.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:07 PM

I guess it would depend on the amount of effort put into it.

You can give without loving, but you can't love without giving.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:42 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Sure.
They can be damaged.
Depends on the type of blow...object.....force.

Where they really have the "stability" over wood guitars is they are basically impervious to heat and humidity.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 04-29-2007, 07:18 PM

It's akin to the fiberglass in a Corvette. You can damage it with pointy or rounded objects depending on the amount of force as well as scratch the finish with particularly aggressive pick strumming.

Just give it the normal care and it should last a long time.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:19 PM

I have this on good authority--Dave Stutzman of http://stutzmansguitarcenter.com/ Yes, they can chip (dents are less likely--like hitting a Corvette--kinda a gash effect). The fact of the matter is that these carbon/graphite guitars are almost like steel in terms of strength, which is why they don't require any bracing (unless it's a hybrid wood/graphite and then why bother?). Some of the same technology is souped up to make tiles for the Shuttle (not that a Rainsong could fly on the Shuttle exterior!). Anyway, they are VERY resiliant, and won't "ding" like a cedar or spruce top, wood B/S. But you can't use them to bonk someone over the head (like "El Kabong" ). I have an acquaintance with a new Rainsong, and Fl. David here has TWO. I'm sure David might have a comment or two. (I imagine you could scratch one too, but I doubt a plastic pick would do much of anything). Now, If I'm incorrect on this, feel free to straighten me out.

You might be interested in this from another music site I am a member of:

Quote:
"The instruments are made of carbon fiber, a material that is stronger than steel. The technical description of how the carbon fiber is made is extremely complex and lengthy. If you are very interested, there are numerous sites on the Internet. One we found particularly good in explaining the process to the average person is one produced by the chemistry department of the University of Wisconsin:

To put the description of carbon fiber in the simplest of terms, polymers (more technical terms—a polymer is basically a chain of molecules connected to one another as to form a thread) are subjected to an oxidation treatment and also heated in a nitrogen environment to temperatures between 1000 °C and 2500 °C. As the temperature is raised, atoms in the fiber are “burned off” until the fiber is composed of at least 92% carbon.

These fibers aren't used alone. The carbon fibers are woven into sheets and are used to reinforce materials like epoxy resins. These reinforced materials are called composites because they have more than one component.

Carbon fiber reinforced composites are very strong for their weight. They're often stronger than steel, but much lighter. Because of this, they can be used to replace metals in many uses, from parts for airplanes and the space shuttle to tennis rackets, golf clubs, skis and fishing poles and stringed instruments. Obviously, they are also extremely durable."

"Would your cello (be in perfect condition) if it spent two weeks under water? That is what happened to the cello of Kaaren Makas, (37 years principal cello, New Orleans Philharmonic, Emeritus principal, Louisianna Philharmonic) when Hurricane Katrina came through New Orleans. Sadly the cello was one of the few things that survived the flood waters in Kaaren’s house. It needed new strings and bridge and soundpost, but is now as good as new and living in Mississippi. Our hearts go out to all who’ve lost so much."

"I really love this instrument... we can play music that is traditional, but actually we are using technology to make it better."
– Yo Yo Ma, Cellist

1992 Taylor 855
2000 Deering Sierra

2009 Recording King RD-16SN ~ "utility"
2009 Martin HD-28
Old 04-29-2007, 08:35 PM

Thanks. When I bought it I was told I could stand on it though I'm not going to try that. The guy also told me that they filled one with water and froze it.

So far I don't see any scratches but I often wonder just how ding and dent resistant it is because I'm pretty clumsy with a guitar.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:41 PM

The back of my Composite Acoustics (2004 model) dread seems more prone to scratches in the finish than wood does. On the other hand, the top seems more resistant.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber