The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-08-2019, 06:51 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Not music, fishing!

I figured I'd throw this out (cast it out?) in hopes that someone on this forum is a fly fisherman. I'm heading out to southeastern Wyoming in about a month, Snowy Mountain Range and Medicine Bow National Forest. I've fished up in the Teton/Yellowstone area many times but after passing through this area a couple years ago I knew I wanted to return to fish. So......

I'll be staying in the area for 9 days. I have a float trip on the North Platte booked for two of those days. I will have a rental car so I can get to places. What I'm hoping is that someone here will help me with are some recommendations for streams in the general area that I can fish; I don't mind hiking in a ways if necessary. Much more interested in moving water rather than lake fishing. Not seeking trophy fishing, all catch and release, just the potential for some decent action.

I know this is a long shot but knowing that some guitar players are also fly fisherman I thought I'd try to get some info here because there don't appear to be a lot of online forums that deal with that area specifically. If you'd like to PM me instead of posting info here, that's fine! Thanks VERY much!

Gene
capecodacoustics.com
Old 08-09-2019, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capefisherman View Post
I figured I'd throw this out (cast it out?) in hopes that someone on this forum is a fly fisherman. I'm heading out to southeastern Wyoming in about a month, Snowy Mountain Range and Medicine Bow National Forest. I've fished up in the Teton/Yellowstone area many times but after passing through this area a couple years ago I knew I wanted to return to fish. So......

I'll be staying in the area for 9 days. I have a float trip on the North Platte booked for two of those days. I will have a rental car so I can get to places. What I'm hoping is that someone here will help me with are some recommendations for streams in the general area that I can fish; I don't mind hiking in a ways if necessary. Much more interested in moving water rather than lake fishing. Not seeking trophy fishing, all catch and release, just the potential for some decent action.

I know this is a long shot but knowing that some guitar players are also fly fisherman I thought I'd try to get some info here because there don't appear to be a lot of online forums that deal with that area specifically. If you'd like to PM me instead of posting info here, that's fine! Thanks VERY much!

Gene
capecodacoustics.com
Actually the N. Platte in Wyoming is outstanding fly fishing. Both The Grey Reef section (near Alcova) and Miracle Mile section . The Reef Fly Shop in Alcova should have info on current fishing reports , hatches, water flows and flies, etc.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 08-10-2019 at 08:45 AM.
Old 08-10-2019, 08:39 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks Kev! I will stop in that shop and hopefully get some pointers. Any and all input is welcomed and appreciated.

Gene
Old 08-11-2019, 06:32 AM

Not a fly fisherman, but the Friday night poker boys and I traveled up to Wyoming for a fishing trip many moons ago. Water was high in the river we initially went to, and somehow we ended up at Hog Park Reservoir. Small trout, but you didn't even have time to light up a cigaret before another trout was on your line.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 08-15-2019, 05:16 PM

Some of the best fishing, and scenery I get to experience is when I have time to fly out to Saratoga Wyoming for fishing. That's a great stretch of fishing river.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic