The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-01-2016, 10:41 AM

Default Martin Retro strings on carbon fiber

So, after reading a ton of positive reviews I finally got around to putting Retros on my Rainsong. Just like many others have experienced, the tone is jarring right out of the package, almost to the point that folks don't like em'.

However, many have discovered after leaving them on for a weeks, days (or sometimes even hours) they "settle" or mellow to a very nice tone. My ears are hearing what many others have heard with their wooden guitars and I just wanted to post my thoughts:

*The tone is metallic and just kind of downright weird at first

*when the mellowing occurs, the tone magically hits a "sweet" spot! I mean, it is just downright exciting- gone are the sizzling trebles that don't blend well with CF tone!

*great feel and playability- nice tension but still holds up well to alternate tuning.

*tone seems to accentuate the mid range a bit while taming trebles and retain a nice snappy punch in the bass.

Not sure I liked them at first and couldn't tell you why, but I'm starting to dig these strings and they might be the best for my style of play that I've yet tried. I recommend to at least try them to any who play fingerstyle on their CF guitars.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:14 AM

I've had a set now on a 314 for so long, I'm starting to think they're going to outlive me and the guitar. And yeah, I fall into the "I like them" camp.

Ray
Old 05-04-2016, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayCJ View Post
I've had a set now on a 314 for so long, I'm starting to think they're going to outlive me and the guitar. And yeah, I fall into the "I like them" camp.

Ray
Yeah, their cool. They are mysterious and magical- how you go from

1. ticked that you spent good money on them only to want to take them right back off, to,

2. oh my these sound pretty good, to,

3. these sound pretty darn fantastic!

That's kinda been my opinion so far 😀
Old 05-05-2016, 12:00 AM

Steelvibe, what strings were you using prior to the retros on your Rainsong?
I have some on my (wooden) parlor and have mixed feelings. I really like them for some things (rootsy, bluesy, ragtimey) but not so much for other things (strumming, jazzy, folky)
After your comments here I might try some on my CA, which usuaully has 80/20s.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 05-05-2016, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdq View Post
Steelvibe, what strings were you using prior to the retros on your Rainsong?
I have some on my (wooden) parlor and have mixed feelings. I really like them for some things (rootsy, bluesy, ragtimey) but not so much for other things (strumming, jazzy, folky)
After your comments here I might try some on my CA, which usuaully has 80/20s.
I'm mostly a fingerstyle player but also strum. Since buying the guitar in late 2014 I've used:

D'addario EJ16,
D'addario Flat Tops
GHS Vintage Bronze
Red Brand
John Pearse Silk and Bronze
John Pearse PB lights

I have others on deck to try out that are not listed above, but I'm recording them as I go in a controlled experiment and also writing down my thoughts. The Retros are my favorite so far with the runner up the JP Silk and Bronze. If you can get past the "weird stage" with the Retros it is shocking in my experience. Once they had a few hours on them they have everything I like in a string set- nice playability and tension, warm tone that doesn't lose it's edge or become overly soft. I'm playing with a set of the lights and it's shocking how punchy the .053 is, with an accentuated mid range and nice rounded out trebles. Taming those trebles that you get from PB has been my main complaint on carbon fiber, but in my case the Retros make the trebles sound more musical and with less sizzle.

I've yet to try 80/20 but have a set of Elixir Polys to try out as I've heard positive things about them.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
So, after reading a ton of positive reviews I finally got around to putting Retros on my Rainsong. Just like many others have experienced, the tone is jarring right out of the package, almost to the point that folks don't like em'.

However, many have discovered after leaving them on for a weeks, days (or sometimes even hours) they "settle" or mellow to a very nice tone. My ears are hearing what many others have heard with their wooden guitars and I just wanted to post my thoughts:

*The tone is metallic and just kind of downright weird at first

*when the mellowing occurs, the tone magically hits a "sweet" spot! I mean, it is just downright exciting- gone are the sizzling trebles that don't blend well with CF tone!

*great feel and playability- nice tension but still holds up well to alternate tuning.

*tone seems to accentuate the mid range a bit while taming trebles and retain a nice snappy punch in the bass.

Not sure I liked them at first and couldn't tell you why, but I'm starting to dig these strings and they might be the best for my style of play that I've yet tried. I recommend to at least try them to any who play fingerstyle on their CF guitars.
Yep, they're a great match for my Rainsong. I'm not a fingerstylist, so the endorsement isn't limited to that style of playing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber