The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 03-10-2021, 12:09 PM

Default tone, projection and playability come at a price but....

I have only ever bought 2 guitars new, about 60 used most of which I've still got. I may have paid over market value on one or two but believe I have been sensible on the vast majority all the way up to 12,500.00 pounds for a mid 90's Benedetto. I look at around 40-50% of the new price as a starting point for valuing used guitars and increase the percentage toward the higher end instruments depending on the age. The large scale manufacturers need a big margin for their re-sellers + big overhead cost recovery whilst the individual luthiers have no advantage of mass production. Better known brands such as Froggy Bottom, Santa Cruz etc have built a reputation from building fine instruments with beautiful tone and expression and their guitars represent real value and a solid long term investment. The time ( labour cost) for building a guitar is much the same on matter what tone woods are used, Brazilian Rosewood does give wonderful results and Koa, particularly with a fine grade spruce top can really sing. Every now and then I come across a 'fluke' - a guitar that costs comparitivelly little but sounds fantastic !
Old 03-11-2021, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakman View Post
Has anyone asked ,why did you spend that much money on a guitar?Just curious..
Sure, I've been asked by some non-musicians, and I've provided some sticker shock to a few others, wishing to know how much a "nice" guitar costs, so they can begin playing. Most musician friends are more supportive, less judgmental.
Old 04-24-2021, 04:20 AM

I do not mind telling people how much I have invested over the years in what is, usually, a fairly liquid asset. But I do think it is fair to point out that I don’t have a boat or play golf.
Old 04-26-2021, 12:29 PM

I make that call all the time for myself! So far the number is $2,500... So while I've gotten amazing, in one case a one of a kind instruments, I'll never have the big body Gibson I want. I'm okay with that. That's what coffee table books are for!
Old 04-26-2021, 12:35 PM

I paid a lot more for my custom tenor banjo than I ever have for a guitar - including Martin, Gibson, and pedal steel.

I play in a horn band, and you don’t want to know what a decent sousaphone costs. I don’t complain about instrument prices.

Steven
Old 04-26-2021, 12:57 PM

I have a few guitars that cost more than I thought I would spend. But all of the guitars that I have spent the bigger money on, $3000 - $4500, I bought them used, and I could easily sell them for more than I paid. I own my home and cars, and have no hobbies that cost any money. I do have quite a few guitars and amps, and I own a lot of recording equipment. But I use the recording equipment all the time, and make a side income with it when I'm not gigging heavily. So the money I put into musical equipment is surely not draining such as hobbies like boating, motorcycles, snowmobiles, sports cars, etc. I use my musical equipment as tools of my chosen profession.

I've noticed in the last few years that I'm choosing a certain few instruments (and recording equipment like preamps and mics) to play and record with, so I may start selling a good share of the equipment I'm not using. It just took me a while to figure out what works for me. And many of the pieces I favor are ones that I've spent a bit more money on so I guess it was worth it to spend the money.
Old 04-27-2021, 12:19 PM

This reminds me of the prosecuting attorney asking the defendant, "Why did you shoot him six times?"

"I ran out of bullets."

...I didn't have any more money...
Old 04-28-2021, 08:07 AM

I've never regretted spending more for the better guitar. I don't pay extra for ornamentation, though. Musical instruments are lifetime purchases for me (never sold a guitar) and I want the quality that is implicit in that idea.
Old 04-28-2021, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

As most of us know, even expensive guitars are relative bargains. My other hobby is mountain biking. And high end bikes can easily reach 5 figures today. Ride that 10k bike like it is intended to be ridden and it will wear out and the frame itself will possibly break within a few seasons. And they don't hold their value at all.
Old 04-28-2021, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

I actually spend pauper spare change compared to a lot of forumites. I've spent over $3000 twice - I returned one of them the next day, I sold the other one a few months later for about what I paid. I just figure for that kind of $$$, I better be blown away by something and I wasn't in either case. They were great guitars, but for my ears barely if at all better than much less expensive guitars I already had or bought later. Nonetheless, my acoustic cost me just under $2000 (my electrics cost me less than half that for the two of 'em) and for a non-player, that sounds like an outrageous amount of money.

I used to be very into bicycles and I owned a couple of custom titanium frames that cost me about $3000 each - at the time that was a LOT for a bicycle frame, now it's not much at all. And unlike the $3000 plus guitars I bought, they DID blow me away. They were designed for my body and how I rode and they were absolutely ridiculous - some of the best money I've ever spent. A quantum leap better than the already very nice bicycle I'd been riding. I've also owned some fairly expensive camera gear in my lifetime, but it's all long gone.

But I'm somewhat inoculated against charges of decadent over-spending because my wife's Dad was a SCCA sanctioned race car driver who always owned a race car or two, with however many spare engines sitting around the garage. And he was an avid fisherman as well, and had a very nice boat and lot's of gear for the purpose. Compared to those hobbies, my pursuits over the years have cost a relative pittance. And I've never spent more than we could easily afford without jeopardizing our finances or lifestyle at all. So it's never really been an issue. But if there was ever a question, I could just make a few little "vroom vroom!" noises and generally get the point across...

Edit - A few months after posting this, I spent $3500 on an 000-28EC. I’ve had it for several months now and it’s a keeper. I don’t like it MORE than my $2000 (pre-pandemic discounted) CEO-7, but I like it as much in a different way. So now I’ve spent over $3000 on a guitar I plan to keep a long long time. No regrets!

-Ray

Last edited by raysachs; 11-17-2021 at 08:13 AM.
Old 04-28-2021, 09:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winkyplayer View Post
I've never regretted spending more for the better guitar. I don't pay extra for ornamentation, though. Musical instruments are lifetime purchases for me (never sold a guitar) and I want the quality that is implicit in that idea.
I paid extra for a few premium guitars. Thankfully, the ornamentation was included for free.
Old 05-15-2021, 04:33 PM

all I can say is that I bought most of mine before the prices got crazy.
Cant understand how to justify 10 grand plus - Thou Im betting this current histeria is part of the problem .
Trying to find a great guitar under two grand at the current time is tough with whats out their .
I use to say for 3 grand your at the top -thou a few are still floating around for savy players.
Old 05-18-2021, 05:42 AM

Price is never a consideration for me. I've always bought the guitar I've wanted (if I could afford it at the time) regardless of what it cost. I'd much rather have a nice instrument in my hands than money in the bank.

It's my ambition to be the poorest person in the graveyard...
Old 05-18-2021, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fretboard Phil View Post
I don't have to wait for guitar season or piano season.
I know! My neighbour has 6 pianos sitting in his garage waiting for piano season.

Up until I got the Harmony, I had spent about $1000 on all my guitars combined. Some still think that's too much. I know a woman that has spent tens of thousands on shoes. Resale value essentially zero. * sigh *
1968 Yamaha FG75 (bought it new)
1940's Harmony H2415
Yamaha CS40 Classical

Last edited by brent635; 05-18-2021 at 09:50 AM. Reason: added price.
Old 06-05-2021, 06:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
Sure, my wife asks it quite often. She is not a musician and I explain this is my primary hobby, but she thinks it's way too much anyway.
Ha! I remember when I was getting back into guitars again after many years. I had a Taylor 810 and bought a Strat and my wife asked me "Why do you need two guitars?!"

Now 20 years later, I have many acoustics and electrics and she still asked why I need so many. At least it's more understandable why'd she ask that question. She paints as a hobby so my response is "Guitars are like different colors on your palette. Each guitar provides a different "color" in my studio when I'm recording. That usually stops the questions, at least until I buy another guitar...

1959 Gibson Country Western
2017 Conner Spruce / Bubinga
1997 Taylor 810
1990 Fender American Strat
2019 Gibson Les Paul 1959 Historic
2023 Martin D-18 Custom Shop

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops