The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-02-2021, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Default Studio One - Users Compare Notes and Tips Here

Brand new Audiobox USB96 interface owner here with Studio One 5.2 software up and running. Meant to do this for several years, but even more so now because it's hard to find compatible musicians with similar goals, musical tastes and skillsets (even without a plague to squelch things even further).

Whatever one's reasons are for recording at home, it would be great to collaborate with other guitar playing Studio One users who know more about it than I do (which probably means everyone out there). I've watched a couple dozen YouTubes so far, some useful, some not so much.

Objective for Starting This Thread:
My hope is to group-source useful leads, tips and ideas. Help each other come up to speed, enjoy what the program has to offer and have fun making music.

Things I think would be useful here would include:
- questions and direct answers (with quoted posts for context)
- links to useful tutorials
- tips/warnings
- peripheral gear like mics, placement, and so on
- etc.

I don't know how important it will be, but I'm guessing it will be useful to preface tips with the version(s) we are using, since my Studio One 5.2 might have/not have what someone else's version might have. Might make sense in some cases to include platform too (PC or Mac).

Next post below is a fun half-hour vid I just watched - got me thinking about starting this thread. Really opened my eyes to what I hope to be doing with the program sooner than later.

Looking forward to seeing what gets posted here.

Last edited by tinnitus; 04-02-2021 at 12:21 PM.
Old 04-02-2021, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

This one is pretty good IMHO.
Tried to post the actual vid, but got a black screen here, so here's the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd25wadmJ_g&t=186s

Last edited by tinnitus; 04-02-2021 at 02:18 PM.
Old 04-02-2021, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

I own Studio One 6 but honestly I have a hard time with it after coming from a much different, and easier, DAW. I would love to get better at it, so I'll enjoy seeing what gets posted here.
Old 04-02-2021, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post

RE the black screen, you only copy and paste the part after the "=." Unlike any other forum I've seen, and it messes with people all the time.

Couch Standards
Old 04-02-2021, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
RE the black screen, you only copy and paste the part after the "=." Unlike any other forum I've seen, and it messes with people all the time.
Thanks Brent, I always do that and it usually works. But I got the black screen with this attempt 2-3 times. Will try again later, or maybe with a different video.

Last edited by tinnitus; 04-02-2021 at 02:28 PM.
Old 04-02-2021, 07:11 PM

Quote:
... it would be great to collaborate with other guitar playing Studio One users ...
As far as working with others go, you can collaborate with users of any DAW by sending .wav files to each other. What you can't do is share project settings or any project specific data unless they also use the same DAW as you.
Old 04-03-2021, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Try using the Share address like I did below not the header toolbar address like you did above ?
then delete everything from adn including the middle forward slash and to the left

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 04-04-2021 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-03-2021, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Brand new Audiobox USB96 interface owner here with Studio One 5.2 software up and running. Meant to do this for several years, but even more so now because it's hard to find compatible musicians with similar goals, musical tastes and skillsets (even without a plague to squelch things even further).

Whatever one's reasons are for recording at home, it would be great to collaborate with other guitar playing Studio One users who know more about it than I do (which probably means everyone out there). I've watched a couple dozen YouTubes so far, some useful, some not so much.

Objective for Starting This Thread:
My hope is to group-source useful leads, tips and ideas. Help each other come up to speed, enjoy what the program has to offer and have fun making music.

Things I think would be useful here would include:
- questions and direct answers (with quoted posts for context)
- links to useful tutorials
- tips/warnings
- peripheral gear like mics, placement, and so on
- etc.

I don't know how important it will be, but I'm guessing it will be useful to preface tips with the version(s) we are using, since my Studio One 5.2 might have/not have what someone else's version might have. Might make sense in some cases to include platform too (PC or Mac).

Next post below is a fun half-hour vid I just watched - got me thinking about starting this thread. Really opened my eyes to what I hope to be doing with the program sooner than later.

Looking forward to seeing what gets posted here.
Ok tips
#1 For starters you might want to list which major feature set version of Studio One you are using, along with the dot (5.2) version i.e. Prime --Artist---Pro ,,,,,Can we assume your are using the bundled Artist 5.2 version ?

#2 Also for efficiency benefit might want to consider listing you basic entire system in your sig line (like I have below)
This is what I do for the Avid/Protools forum which makes it much more efficient when asking for any for any technical information or help (that can be system specific)

#3 Always be aware of the date of any tutorial.. For example the video you posted is 2013 which probably means the basics are similar, but there may well be specific workflow upgrades that will not be represented .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 04-03-2021 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-03-2021, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
As far as working with others go, you can collaborate with users of any DAW by sending .wav files to each other.
Right. Any DAW allows you to import a .wav file into a track, then you can add your own track(s) and mix back down to a "new, improved" .wav file. Those files are typically pretty big though and may be too big for email, so a free dropbox account might be the best way to transfer such works....

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 04-04-2021, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Default Tip number 4

I am guessing (but could be wrong) that the OP was using "collaborate" in the context of participating in group discussion on ideas,,,, not sharing song files to create a multi person project ????

In any case

#4 user defined and user named song templates, are the magic bullet to be able to open up S1 and immediately hit record . and not have to waste time setting up the session every time

So you have some basic knowledge of how to set up the interface open an S1 blank song, set up some tracks and record

But IMO one of the most important things to learn (to maximize the benefit of digital recording and it fantastic ability to have instant recall) is to set up and use your user defined song templates.

with bit depth and sample rate all the tracks you use and any FX you use all the time etc.etc. I will post some screen shots of my templates BUT FIRST

Here is a very brief video of how to do that

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 04-04-2021 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-04-2021, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

OK here are a couple screen shots of a template I set up for Studio One

So when I launch S1. I simply select Create New Song and the template will show with what ever name you give it, just below Empty Song as a selection
So just click it and give it a new name and you are ready to record

If you save it as a Template in exactly the state you want it to open in is how my template opens already record armed on the two mono tracks I typically use for a pair of mics (N 22's ) For the Acoustic Rhythm Guitar tracks I record first.
(unless I am going to record the vocal at the same time in which case I record arm the first vocal track also. But as you can see all the Tracks routing and FX I typically use is all set up

Because I use folder tracks all the other audio tracks are hidden in their respective Bus/ folder hack tracks

If I open all the folder tracks this is what it looks like

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 04-04-2021 at 04:27 PM.
Old 04-05-2021, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I am guessing (but could be wrong) that the OP was using "collaborate" in the context of participating in group discussion on ideas,,,, not sharing song files to create a multi person project ????

Yessir, I should have been more specific in describing what I'm after here (and what I'm not). Thanks for bringing that up.

My goal in starting this thread is to learn how to use the Studio One program - playing alone at home. Digging around this morning, here's what I found in the Audio Box USB96 Owner's Manual:

"Complete information on all aspects of Studio One Artist is available in
the Reference Manual PDF located in the Studio One Help menu. The
information in this tutorial covers only the basic aspects of Studio One Artist
and is intended to get you set up and recording as quickly as possible."

At a glance, it looks like a fairly extensive collection of tutorials that I hope to eventually slog through from A-Z. But first, I'll just start referring to targeted bite-size chunks as I endeavor to learn various aspects of the program. Baby steps.

Equipment:
PC Laptop
Audio Box USB96
Studio One 5.2
Mics
Acoustic guitars
Electric guitars
Bass
Amps
Headphones
Various shakers and percussion toys

Last edited by tinnitus; 04-05-2021 at 01:15 PM.
Old 04-05-2021, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yessir, I should have been more specific in describing what I'm after here (and what I'm not). Thanks for bringing that up.

My goal in starting this thread is to learn how to use the Studio One program - playing alone at home. Digging around this morning, here's what I found in the Audio Box USB96 Owner's Manual:

"Complete information on all aspects of Studio One Artist is available in
the Reference Manual PDF located in the Studio One Help menu. The
information in this tutorial covers only the basic aspects of Studio One Artist
and is intended to get you set up and recording as quickly as possible."

At a glance, it looks like a pretty comprehensive collection of tutorials that I hope to eventually slog through from A-Z. But first, I'll just start referring to bite-size chunks as I endeavor to learn various aspects of the program. Baby steps.

Equipment:
PC Laptop
Audio Box USB96
Studio One 5.2
Mics
Acoustic guitars
Electric guitars
Bass
Amps
Headphones
Various shakers and percussion toys
I thought perhaps that was the case.
Yes indeed learning in bite size chunks is really what most of do. From buckets full of information we usually absorb only teaspoonfuls at a time

So to be clear I am on Studio One Pro 4.6.2 ( I will likely be upgrading to 5 in the next few weeks). But I think most of the workflow features are the same

I should mention , although I have had S1 since S1-3 for a number or years, I have not used it very much at all. So I am still learning also, because I almost always work in Pro Tools, being it is what I learned first some 18 years ago. To be sure because basic DAW workflow is pretty universal, I certainly have a big leg up when it comes to learning a new DAW.
And is likely the reason I have S1 set up following the Pro Tools Keyboard Mapping scheme ( which it does OK but not totally) and other habits I learned from PT like having the mixer have full color heavily saturated channel strips etc., and the same track type and order I use in PT
And for example why I use Folders and the Bus w folder show hide ability in the mixer mirrored in the edit window.

At the risk of info overload. You might want to be aware of the "Studio One
Expert" blog web sight with lots of great articles and video's many free
And big presence on YouTube with free content

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK0pITrfzEC36x6ttyaXUXA

There are of course a bewildering array of tutorials . The good news is the more you start using a DAW the more informed you will become in what you do not know but want to learn, and thus will be more able to know what subjects/videos etc you want to use.

If you have any questions about what I have posted so far, or any other questions, please feel free to ask, and I will do my best. Also I have learned how to quick little screen recording videos of working with a DAW which is sometimes more efficient that typing out long wordy explanations Any way good luck and try to enjoy the Journey

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 04-06-2021 at 08:15 AM.
Old 04-05-2021, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

That's totally it KeyWind (chuckling over here), a "bewildering array of tutorials."

I trained air traffic controllers for several years, and I'm compassionately sensitive to trying to take a drink from a firehose. The mere perception of info overload (real or imagined) can be paralyzing. Thanks for what everyone is sharing here.

I'm currently reading about the metronome with different tones and a programmable number of beats/measures of "pre-roll" to count in. I'm a big fan of 8 beats in a 4/4 song, especially as I drop the mouse and fetch a guitar pick from between my teeth.

And I just learned how to save a .song to .wav and play it back on my speakers.

Last edited by tinnitus; 04-05-2021 at 08:46 PM.
Old 04-06-2021, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
That's totally it KeyWind (chuckling over here), a "bewildering array of tutorials."

I'm currently reading about the metronome with different tones and a programmable number of beats/measures of "pre-roll" to count in. I'm a big fan of 8 beats in a 4/4 song, especially as I drop the mouse and fetch a guitar pick from between my teeth.

And I just learned how to save a .song to .wav and play it back on my speakers.
Well just being able to set up the interface correctly, get I/O routing matrix to work, record a file, and get that to play back through your monitoring system is the basic 60% of the battle of using a DAW....

Couple of things to be aware of looking to the future One extreme benefit to computer and digital (DAW) recording is the ability and flexibility to control file management. While certainly not near as fun as gear, recording/ mixing technique, etc...... in point of fact ,,,,, clear organized file management, and understanding the particular DAW file hierarchy, may well be the most important thing to get familiar with and habit to develop from the get go

To that end :::
#1 IMO it's very important develop a clear informative naming convention for tracks, busses, sends , FX tracks sends etc. (especially because it looks like eventually you are wanting to record multi instrument sessions). Which will begin to utilized the very real world benefits of DAW. And agin for which getting your personal templates set up will quickly become an invaluable work flow asset .

And along with #1
#2 be aware of exactly where you are saving everything..... I believe the default location in S1 is "Documents" which is fine, but can become crowded especially if the computer is not dedicated to only studio. For example even though my iMac is a dedicated studio computer ( I like all song data info and files, to saved in one place), and for me that is a desktop folder labeled "S1 songs"

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 04-06-2021 at 07:59 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD