The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-17-2021, 07:38 AM

Default Is it price, playability, tone or appearance

What drives a purchase for you? Is the price of the guitar first, the playability of the guitar as in how it feels in your hands, it's size and how it conforms to your body, or is it the tone of the guitar including woods used, or lastly, the guitar's looks including sunburst or not, bling, rosette, fret markers, etc.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo

Last edited by hotroad; 06-17-2021 at 08:36 AM.
Old 06-17-2021, 07:43 AM
Charter Member

It's all of that. That's why you have to get out to the stores to play some guitars before buying.

Sitting home in your pajamas and clicking on every guitar made just isn't the best way to pick your new guitar.

I was out at GC (Maskless) and SA (masked) playing electrics. It's too bac that I have no use for one. Electric guitars are just so darned cool!
Old 06-17-2021, 08:03 AM

Just like I found my wife-- looks got my attention, but it was the other more important stuff that sealed the deal.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 06-17-2021, 08:21 AM

In that order, if the price is attractive then I start scrutinizing the other factors to see if it makes sense. If the other things fall in line then the price is always justified.
Old 06-17-2021, 08:31 AM

Like Ray Charles said, "How's it sound baby?"
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 06-17-2021, 09:34 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

Playability first
Then tone
Then looks
Then price

Price is last because it has to reflect the value of the prior 3.
Old 06-17-2021, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroad View Post
What drives a purchase for you? Is the price of the guitar first, the playability of the guitar as in how it feels in your hands, it's size and how it conforms to your body, or is it the tone of the guitar including woods used, or lastly, the guitar's looks including sunburst or not, bling, rosette, fret markers, etc.
Tone....Tone...and more tone I've sent more than one pretty guitar a-packing..
Old 06-17-2021, 09:40 AM

Appearance is dead last for me - makes no difference to me.

Tone 1st with playability being a close 2nd. You can make a guitar easier to play, but the right tone is either there or it isn't. Price is important to me, as I'm on a budget but it still comes in 4th on this list.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 06-17-2021, 09:47 AM
Get off my lawn kid

I've bought my last couple of good guitars online.

First is tone. I'd see/hear someone here playing one and get curious. Then I would research it and find out the price. If its in my mental budget (under $3,000) I will find more about the guitar, go to the mfg website, etc. That's how I bought my Avalon and Furch.

Now, the funny thing is the first time I played my Avalon I couldn't handle it. It was difficult/different to play. The setup was perfect, but it took a different kind of touch to play it. I'm not sure if I found it in a store and tried it if I would have bought it. After about a week I was in heaven though.

My Furch has great looks, fit and finish, but the warmth of cedar isn't knocking me in the face yet. It needs more playing time. Its beauty and reputation is why it didn't go back. I'm sure in a year or two I'll have that warmth I want. (Also finding the right strings for it might help).

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-17-2021, 09:53 AM

For me price comes first simply because I can’t augment whatever amount of money I have. When I’ve found something that fits my budget I initially evaluate its playability. If it passes that test put some new strings on it if possible to get a fair assessment of the tone. Appearance is a very distant fourth.
Old 06-17-2021, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I cannot separate tone and playability - a guitar's tone is inextricably linked to the player who plays it. The more comfortable a guitar is for me to play, the better my technique and the more I can maximize the tone that the instrument offers. Those are my top two considerations.

Price has always been a consideration for me, however has not impacted my ability to own a high-end guitar. It just takes longer - budget planning to save up for the expenditure and practicing patience - learning to live with delayed gratification.

I am very visual but that is the final consideration for me. Fortunately, these days, with so many guitars and luthiers, I have always managed to meet my top considerations without sacrificing what I love visually in a guitar.

Best,
Jayne
Old 06-17-2021, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGITM View Post
Playability first
Then tone
Then looks
Then price

Price is last because it has to reflect the value of the prior 3.
What he said.

Tone is super important, but I'm somewhat flexible about it; a guitar might sound a bit different than what I was looking for, yet it's a sound that I can imagine making good music with, so I might buy it.

OTOH, if it doesn't feel good in my hands, that's an automatic, absolute dealbreaker. I have made the mistake before of saying, "well it's a little awkward, but probably would be fine with a good setup." It's like trying on a pair of shoes and thinking "they pinch a little but they'll probably loosen up as I wear them." Life's too short to spend good money on wishful thinking.

Looks for me are important only on the negative side -- i.e., if I think a guitar is downright ugly, I probably won't buy it (or even try it) regardless of its other qualities. But if my hands and ears say "wow," I'll buy it even if my eyes say "meh."

Price is kind of in a different category than these. It's not part of my evaluation of a guitar. It comes into play at the beginning of the process (by narrowing the range of guitars I'm going to bother to look at) and at the end (when I say "am I able/willing to pay this price right now?"). But I would never, for instance, put two guitars side by side and say "I like the way Guitar A plays and sounds better, but Guitar B is better value for money, so I'll buy Guitar B."
Martin D12X1AE
LaPatrie CW Concert
Old 06-17-2021, 10:21 AM

For me, it's typically sound and comfort. Playability, especially with electrics, is not as much of a concern because I can almost always make it play great unless the neck profile is just way too different than I prefer, or there's some kind of gross problem with the guitar.
Old 06-17-2021, 11:03 AM

Not sure how to rank these but I would say looks come last. The other variables are quite intertwined for me
Old 06-17-2021, 11:44 AM

Tone and playability are inextricably linked for me and are the most important factors. (I include details like cutaway, fretboard width, scale length, tonewoods etc. as aspects of tone and/or playability.)

I am uninterested in a guitar that has a great tone for someone else, and yet I can't access it. Playability ensures I can extract all the tonal goodness.

Price is almost meaningless to me. If the tone/playability is not there, then no sale at any price (I don't buy and flip). And if I don't think the price is in line with the value TO ME then no sale.

Appearance is truly meaningless to me as a factor for purchase. While I appreciate awesome woodworking and design skills, I don't buy and collect 'wood art.' If the guitar sings, I buy. If not, I pass and let it find a better match.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion