The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-31-2021, 10:32 PM

Default Power tube glowing too bright???

Ok guys, So I just picked up a Strauss SVT-20R, it has two power tubes in it and one of them is glowing a lot brighter than the other one. This is a brand new amp with less than 5 hours playing time on it, is this normal to have one tube glowing this bright or is it a problem that I need to get looked at?

I've got warranty on the amp so no problem there if I need to get it looked at or sent away to be fixed I just want to know what the story is when none of the other 4 valves are glowing anywhere near this much. Let me know what you guys think. Sorry if it's a bit hard to make out in the photo It's hard to get a clear shot of the valves because of the back panel...

https://imgur.com/gallery/vqdqABk
Old 06-01-2021, 04:40 AM

I'm not an amp tech, but from what I can see from the tube amps I own and use,, to me that doesn't look right.

Maybe try unplugging it and reseating all the tubes?

beyond that doing anything, I'd be a little concerned.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 06-01-2021, 05:55 AM

It looks like the tube's plate/anode is red (glowing) hot. The tube is bad, the bias is too hot, or there is a more subtle problem. Bring it to a tech.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 06-01-2021, 01:12 PM

Swap the two power tubes. If the redplating follows the tube, buy a new set. If it doesn't, the amp needs repair. Either way, that tube is now trash.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 06-01-2021, 01:47 PM

If you can still return it I would do so and get another. If it's past the return period than have it repaired under warranty.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 06-01-2021, 02:46 PM

Yeah a problem, kiss of death for the tube. You could try re-seating the tubes as said, swap them will tell you if it is a tube problem or that side of the amp. Either case it is wrong, I would take the amp back if possible.
Old 06-02-2021, 01:10 AM

Ok so just as an update it wasn't the tube it was something in the amp.... i took it back to my store and we swapped the power tubes around.... same position was glowing too bright so it wasn't the tube.

I've got a replacement amp in the mean time that's the exact same amp and working beautifully... I checked the tubes and they're all glowing evenly and none too brightly... the amp even sounds a lot better than the one i just took back. so that amp definitely had a problem in it somewhere... I guess I can welcome myself to the wonderful world of tube amplifiers =P
Old 06-02-2021, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxHound4690 View Post
Ok so just as an update it wasn't the tube it was something in the amp.... i took it back to my store and we swapped the power tubes around.... same position was glowing too bright so it wasn't the tube.

I've got a replacement amp in the mean time that's the exact same amp and working beautifully... I checked the tubes and they're all glowing evenly and none too brightly... the amp even sounds a lot better than the one i just took back. so that amp definitely had a problem in it somewhere... I guess I can welcome myself to the wonderful world of tube amplifiers =P
that is good news that you were able to just do an even swap.

Tube amps are great things, but they are bit more involved with caring and maintaining them.

But IMHO worth it, 100%

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 06-02-2021, 06:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxHound4690 View Post

Good news . So to recap what was happening was I think Red Plating which can be caused by things in the amp circuit other than the tube

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 06-05-2021, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Good news . So to recap what was happening was I think Red Plating which can be caused by things in the amp circuit other than the tube
It certainly seems that way, The guy I bought it through from my local store said he has spoken to the main guy who's in charge of supplying and said it's highly unusual for this to happen as all their tube amps get set up properly before they're boxed up and shipped out but this is a rare occasion where one seems to have slipped through the cracks. Warranty has it all covered though =P all is good.
Old 06-05-2021, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
that is good news that you were able to just do an even swap.

Tube amps are great things, but they are bit more involved with caring and maintaining them.

But IMHO worth it, 100%
Yeah I have been told ideally I should get it serviced once a year which is ok I met someone just recently who works on tube amps all the time and is very knowledgeable. Good peace of mind know I have someone I can take it to for maintenance.
Old 06-06-2021, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintj View Post
Swap the two power tubes. If the redplating follows the tube, buy a new set. If it doesn't, the amp needs repair. Either way, that tube is now trash.
This is exactly what I would do!
Old 06-13-2021, 10:01 AM

I had a head in for warranty repair - it was returned from the manufacturer with new tubes and packaged as they would send them out ... they'd burned in the new tubes for several hours to test it. Within about an hour of playing it a tube blew along with the fuse ... new tube and it's run like a champ - so even with a careful factory test and packaging - shipping tube amps is always frought with a little peril - the shaking etc... and the tube in question may have been OK sitting still but slightly out of spec that was revealed after the bumping etc.. of a cross country trip.

A bad tube is always a good starting point regardless but I'm glad you were able to discover it was a circuit issue and get a replacement. Nothing sounds like tubes but they do have a level of fiddle factor from time to time.
PRS Custom 24
Rickenbacker 330
Teles (too many)

Bad Cat Cub III 30R
Goodsell Super 17
Vintage Sound VS22

Too many pedals!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars