The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-08-2023, 05:57 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjojox View Post
I like the sound and form factor of a Les Paul. It kinda saddens me the Gibson puts all of the best workmanship and woods into painstaking recreations of vintage instruments, especially '59's, to include some wonky stuff that I don't particularly like. I prefer modern fretwork, some comfort contours, pickup rings with heights that make sense etc. But every year it's "this time it's really really really closer to a real '59". Meh. Put that attention to detail, wood quality, etc. into a modern LP Standard, don't mark it up a bunch extra just because it has an "R" in the name, and we can talk.
You know, when Mark Agnesi took over Gibson they sort of did just that, taking the switching options and weight relief out of the Standard, making a '50s neck and '60s neck version, and dropping the price by about $700. With the price reduction they also cut the nice AAA figured tops, sadly.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 03-12-2023, 07:05 AM

I do own a Les Paul, sort of.

When I began my guitar playing journey in September of 1997, I was inspired by my friend Mike to build one. By 2002, I had done that with some walnut, Bolivian rosewood, purpleheart, maple, and an ebony fretboard. Mike helped a lot during those years.

Admittedly, Paul Reed Smith inspired a little bit of of the guitar with the rosewood neck, and I'm glad that one worked out. I messed up 2 neck blanks prior to that one.

It is the only electric guitar I have right now. I've got parts to build another but I don't know when that will happen.
Old 03-12-2023, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

That looks great. Well done!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars