The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Best TWO Options?
Rogue RD80 $49.99 0 0%
Ibanez GD10 $119.99 5 7.81%
Epiphone PRO-1 $129.00 3 4.69%
Yamaha F335 $129.99 55 85.94%
Epiphone PR150 $129.99 6 9.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-20-2018, 05:12 PM

Default Which 1 (of these 5) is the Best Buy?

My 11 year old (5'3" 150 pounds) and I are finally heading to a local guitar store tomorrow to see if there is an acoustic guitar there that he loves (and I can live with). While most of the money spent is going to be mine, we are calling the guitar ours. In all honesty, I hope he falls in love with it and he'll be playing it so much that I'll have to go out and purchase my own!

So in preparation I've looked at what they have in stock and it seems like there are really only about five guitars that can even be considered a possibility in our price range (under $130). And while I want him to choose the one he really likes, I also want to be prepared to steer him towards one of the better options.

Which one would you say is our best option? Which one do you feel is our second best option? (some prices are less than what's shown on the link because of price matching)

1) Rogue RD80 Natural $49.99 https://www.guitarcenter.com/Rogue/R...16478161876.gc

2) Ibanez GD10 Natural $119.99 https://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez/...34587639019.gc

3) Epiphone PRO-1 Natural/Sunburst $129.00 https://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphon...98177063419.gc

4) Yamaha F335 Natural/Sunburst $129.99 https://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha/...74115034006.gc

5) Epiphone PR150 Natural/Sunburst $129.99 https://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphon...73888007092.gc

I appreciate everyone's help, patience, and advice over the last couple of months. I think all of it has led us to an experience my son and I will treasure!

TripleB

Last edited by TripleB; 06-20-2018 at 07:36 PM.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:22 PM

This is so very cool. I wish I could be of more help to you.
I couldn't vote because this is just too subjective.
I think the best choice is the one he likes. My only advice is to make sure whatever he chooses is playable or get it set up to be easily playable.
Good luck and have fun deciding. That's the most important thing.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 06-20-2018, 05:24 PM

For an 11 yeqar old you should be thinking about size. Most of these are full scale dreads, and a sure way to kill interest for smaller hands.

Think seriously about what you're buying, it isn't exclusively about price. The best "bargain" in the world is the worst if it triggers a lifetime of avoiding playing a guitar.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:26 PM

I’d take the Yamaha out of that bunch. Ibanez makes very playable budget guitars but I’ve never held that model. I have played an old PF5 and I’d consider it a good starter guitar, although the nut on it was really short (which may be good for a beginner learning chords and strumming).
Old 06-20-2018, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

I voted for the Yamaha. I had that same guitar. When I wanted to upgrade it to an 800 series, it was so close to the 800 that I couldn't do the trade. I eventually decided I wanted a 1 3/4 nut and sold it to a neighbor for his daughter. She loves it!
Old 06-20-2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
For an 11 yeqar old you should be thinking about size. Most of these are full scale dreads, and a sure way to kill interest for smaller hands.

Think seriously about what you're buying, it isn't exclusively about price. The best "bargain" in the world is the worst if it triggers a lifetime of avoiding playing a guitar.
Yep. I would for sure have him play something smaller like the Yamaha JR1. While it wouldn’t be ideal for you, it may be better for him at this stage.

The best compromise between dad and kid guitar would be a Taylor GS Mini or Martin D Jr, both of which are more than you’re looking to spend. As such, I’d prioritize one or the other at this point.

And if this is the same father/son guitar search I think I’ve replied to before, I still think the Yamaha FG800 is so far and away the best bang for buck guitar under $500-600 that I think it would be worth saving for in the long run — maybe next time around if you get a smaller guitar for the kiddo this time around.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

Either of the Epi's or the Yamaha would be ok choices in terms of quality. It'll really just come down to what your son is most comfortable with. Like someone else said, a dread size could definitely be a bit much for an 11 year old. Something like an OM size or even 00/parlor would likely be better.

Look at the Yamaha FS800 - concert sized guitar that could work for both of you, and can be found brand new for under $200. Would be worth saving up for an 800 series Yamaha in my opinion.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:07 PM

You'll remember that most of us suggested Yamaha and stay away from those Epiphones and Rogues. The poll speaks for itself.

Rather than the F335, look for a used FG700 or 800. You might find a good used one in your price range.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:38 PM

Default Beware of catalog shopping...

As others have advised, nothing takes the place of holding the guitar in your lap and in your hands. (I just broke that rule myself, but there was no local inventory and I consider myself an educated consumer.) So you should visit every guitar shop within 60 miles, sample their inventory and ask questions. Find out the cost of a guitar setup (should be $50 or under).

Any new guitar, especially on the low end, can benefit from a proper setup that adjusts the string height along the neck for comfy playing. Low-end guitars probably need that the most, so you ought to factor in that cost. It's more important than a case or a fancy shoulder strap, and may be the key factor of whether or not you enjoy the guitar.

It would be too easy to suggest you raise your budget to $250 or so, where many appealing choices exist. But I don't want to sound elitist, or raise the bar of entry. Instead I'll recommend used sources like pawn shops or better yet, the national chain called Music-go-Round. The other day I saw an Ibanez Artwood AC240, sold new at around $240, on sale used for $180 minus whatever you can bargain off. That's a pretty nice guitar, one that will retain some value when you trade it in.

One plan is to find a nice used gem > buy it with return & refund rights > take it to your shop technician and get an opinion. Then take it back, if he says so, or keep it and have him set it up to play its best. That's more trouble, but not much risk.
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass

Last edited by Birdbrain; 06-20-2018 at 06:41 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old 06-20-2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
Yep. I would for sure have him play something smaller like the Yamaha JR1. While it wouldn’t be ideal for you, it may be better for him at this stage.
I appreciate the advice on the size being important...that's one of the reason I was leaning towards the Epiphone Pro-1. It's supposed to have several features that makes it easier for younger players: thinner neck, thinner strings, jumbo frets, shorter scale length, etc.

Some information I left out (but just added): my son just turned 11, is heading into 7th grade, is 5'3" tall, and weighs 150 pounds (he's a big boy).

But I'll definitely look at him holding different sizes tomorrow!

TripleB
Old 06-20-2018, 07:44 PM

The dread size may be ok. I started on a full sized and full scale dreadnought as a 7 year old and was never bothered by the body size.

Does your GC have any recording king dirty thirty series guitars in stock? that would be a good solid top guitar with several different body sizes in your price range.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleB View Post
My 11 year old (5'3" 150 pounds) and I are finally heading to a local guitar store tomorrow to see if there is an acoustic guitar there that he loves (and I can live with).
TripleB
I can't help but notice every one of those options was a dreadnought.

I'm 5' 10", can play a dread, but one size down is a lot more comfortable. (edit, looks like the others beat me to it while I was thinking about it)
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 06-20-2018, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussL30 View Post
Does your GC have any recording king dirty thirty series guitars in stock? that would be a good solid top guitar with several different body sizes in your price range.
Beautiful looking guitar...unfortunately no store has it locally.

I appreciate you sharing your experience with a full size guitar!

TripleB
Old 06-20-2018, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleB View Post
I appreciate the advice on the size being important...that's one of the reason I was leaning towards the Epiphone Pro-1. It's supposed to have several features that makes it easier for younger players: thinner neck, thinner strings, jumbo frets, shorter scale length, etc.

Some information I left out (but just added): my son just turned 11, is heading into 7th grade, is 5'3" tall, and weighs 150 pounds (he's a big boy).

But I'll definitely look at him holding different sizes tomorrow!

TripleB
I had one of those Epis for a little while. It's actually a pretty good sound for the price, and if you can spring another 40 or 50 for a setup then it's very playable. I remember being a little amazed that you could get something that sounded that decent for such a low price. So the Epi has my vote and endorsement.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagedr View Post
Like someone else said, a dread size could definitely be a bit much for an 11 year old.
Maybe I'm just not looking in the right spot on GC, but I can't find any decent 'smaller than a dreadnought' acoustic guitars under $130.

Which I find strange...I thought companies would create those in order to get customers loving guitar playing at a young age by making a decent smaller guitar at a price parents don't mind paying.

TripleB

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion