The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-19-2018, 05:30 PM

The scary part is, as you alluded, the sound is only as good as your computer speakers!

Their seems to be a constant demand for Froggys, and I've heard very few bad things about them.

I think I've done all the work I can in advance, and now I just have to wait and see.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:05 PM

Deacon, I think you'll love the P12. I've had three Froggy's, and my current H12 won't be going anywhere, probably for life. They are that good.

Do post and let us know your impressions!
Old 06-19-2018, 06:25 PM
Charter Member

I did essentially the same thing on a Froggy P12 (mine is EIR B/S) a few months ago. Bought it used but in "excellent" condition (or was it "close to mint"? I don't remember) from a respected AGF Seller (Charles Hughes, Capital Guitars). Sight unseen, but lots of high quality pictures and what seemed to me to be a quality sound sample from Capital.

I can truthfully say that given the same circumstance (lusting for a Froggy P12, not able to see one in person) I would have made the same decision, at the same price, with the same guitar shop. As fine a guitar as I've ever seen or played. Everything you've read is true. Thomastik Infeld AC110's on mine.

Enjoy it you will.

Steve_arino
Kinnaird OM42
Froggy Bottom P12
Waterloo WL12 mh
McPherson Carbon Touring
Old 06-19-2018, 09:40 PM

RIGHT ON!!!!!

You are going to be in for a treat! Michael Millard + team makes AMAZING guitars. My P12 reset the bar of what I should expect in a boutique guitar. The sound coming from these little beasts is inspiring!

We want a detailed report when you get it! Congrats again on the incoming awesomeness!!!!!!!
Old 06-19-2018, 09:51 PM

Rarely and I mean rarely have I ever heard a negative comment on a Froggy. Can’t wait to hear your impressions...
Old 06-20-2018, 03:24 PM

Okay, picked it up at FedEx at 9 a.m..

Took it home, unpacked it inspected it for any issues at all - damage during shipping, abuse, etc. Nothing. It was 'as new', and it was built in 2014. Whoever the caretaker was prior to me obviously didn't play it. Not a pick scratch, any markings showing string changes at the slotted head stock - nothing.

Brought it up to tune, played some bare finger style. Took a pick to it. Played it for close to an hour, listening to the tone, listening for any rattle or loose brace, etc.

Absolutely zero issues.

I then took it to the local 2 guitar repair people. One is a builder and a tech, the other a strait tech. Both have impressive backgrounds. Had both of them inspect it, play it, comment on it.

Their finding agreed with my opinion - the guitar looks as if it hadn't been played at all. And the tonal quality and volume blew them away.

They also spoke at great length about the build quality, pointing out things to me. They - and I - were very impressed.

Now the tone and playability. For a nut width a bit larger than I am typically used to, it played like a dream. The C profile neck wasn't boxy or 'in the way'. Very, very lightweight.

I was not expecting the tone I heard. I was prepared to hear something 'neat and clean', I guess. Instead I heard a tone that could be silky, biting, flowing - pretty much what ever I wanted to get out of it. It is difficult to describe tone, and it is certainly incredibly subjective, but this took me by surprise. All I could think of was that it sounded like a 'complete' guitar, which doesn't really make sense, I guess. And the volume for a small guitar was immense.

It 'sits well' in the lap too.

I spent time talking to the guitar guys about the volume and tone, and they pointed out the Adi top, the type of walnut, front and back bracing,etc. What ever part or sum of the parts contributes really made it fill the room.

They launched into a discussion about the different types of walnut, typical responsiveness, etc. All great guitar tech stuff. Interesting, but my focus is not the tech stuff, but all the other stuff.

For me, looks are important, volume is important, but the guitar is there to emit tones that I like, typically in spite of my playing ability. And this did it in a big way.

For years I've been hearing about Froggy's, and on occasion have seen or played one (never a P12, by the way). They were all impressive, as was this one.

I remember thinking after about 20 minutes of noodling with it that "Ah, so THIS is what all the fuss is about!"

I guess I finally understood.

Bottom line - more than happy with the guitar. Glad the 'pro's' gave it the once over and were impressed by it. Ecstatic the tone was for me, and there were literally know cosmetic or structural issues, and that it played smoothly.

And quite honestly, all the videos and reviews, despite the poor quality of some and my poor speakers, didn't lie. Judging from mine, I'd snatch another one up in a heartbeat if I had the cash.

One thing I can't decipher is the writing on the label. I can make out Michael's signature, but there appear to be others. At a later time I'll grab a pen light and try and decipher.

The instrument is simply a delight. In all aspects.
Old 06-20-2018, 03:34 PM

i would suspect the other 2 signatures to be:

andy mueller
eric goodenough
Old 06-20-2018, 03:37 PM

I'm sure you're correct, but it isn't that clear to these aging eyes!
Old 06-20-2018, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

Not much "luck" involved in froggies, particularly with an approval period. Congrats!

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 06-20-2018, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Blues View Post
Goodall -

No offense taken at all. I apologize if my post came off as abrupt, certainly not my intent.

All too often I've had to purchase a guitar I thought was 'right' without playing it first. I've been fortunate that I've never had a problem.

That being said, I do as much due diligence as I can. I also purchase from reputable, established dealers with an in writing return policy.

From what I have gleaned over the years, Froggys have great reputations. All of them? Probably not. Most of them? Seems that way.

We'll see. Worst case scenario is I don't bond with it or it is other than advertised, it shall return to the shop I purchased it from. No harm, no foul.

Hopefully that is not the case, but I'll know for sure tomorrow. At the cost of a Frog - even used - if I am not delighted, it won't be here long!

I'll keep you posted.
Ok Enough of the mutual admiration society....LETS see the FROGGY !!!!!
Old 06-20-2018, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Blues View Post

I was not expecting the tone I heard. I was prepared to hear something 'neat and clean', I guess. Instead I heard a tone that could be silky, biting, flowing - pretty much what ever I wanted to get out of it. It is difficult to describe tone, and it is certainly incredibly subjective, but this took me by surprise. All I could think of was that it sounded like a 'complete' guitar, which doesn't really make sense, I guess. And the volume for a small guitar was immense.
Now that description is something you'll never get from listening to videos of a guitar. The feel of playing it. That's a great description of a Froggy -- pretty much how I feel about my H12. A versatile, expressive guitar.

Enjoy!
Old 06-20-2018, 07:06 PM
Charter Member

One of the finest small guitars I have owned, but these days I tend to strum more and lean toward Marti Dreads.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:34 PM
Charter Member

omg that sounded huuuuuuuugeeeeaaahhhhhhhhhh congrats Im getting my new baby on friday!!! fantastic
Old 06-20-2018, 09:29 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on the Froggy! Hard to imagine it was never played at all, but your gain!
Old 06-21-2018, 09:13 AM

Not much of a photographer or a video guy.

Here's the video from the site:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQhiZqBYxG8

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion