The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-11-2018, 05:56 PM

Question I ain't got no rhythm

So I have a recurring problem with rhythm when I play lead guitar. Typically it isn't a problem when I play rhythm guitar since I can focus more on the, well, rhythm, but also I know how to count out rhythm (with the 1 and 2 and; or 1 e and a 2 e and a) my problem comes when I start playing lead since it has more complicated rhythms using 16th notes and stuff, and it takes a lot of concentration just to play the right notes, let alone concentrate on counting it out. Also, for some reason, I do sometimes struggle figuring out exactly where each note in the riff would go in the rhythmic scheme (should it come on the and the e or the a in the counting scheme). How can I get better at this?
Epiphone Sheraton 2 Pro
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Stratocaster MIM w/ noiseless pickups
Old 06-11-2018, 06:17 PM

Default Start slow

Start slow, very slow.

If the tune needs to be 120 then set your metronome at 30. Work it till it is flawless then bump it up to 31 keep going till your at 120. May take a week at first but will get easier with time.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:29 PM

Ah, the dreaded slow down and focus, I was afraid of that haha.
Epiphone Sheraton 2 Pro
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Old 06-11-2018, 08:51 PM
Charter Member

You can usually play with the timing of note values within a measure without problems. Just have the overall measure come out right.
Probably mental counting per half or whole measure will help you do that without getting lost.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 06-11-2018, 09:16 PM

Another idea. Listen to the music that you want to do lead to - without the guitar. Move your body to the music. Come up with lead ideas in your head and feel, move your hands or your toes to the syncopation. When you have a visualization of yourself doing the lead with virtuosity, it will be easier for you to move it from your body to your fingers.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

Besides what has been mentioned
Are you practicing your lead just by itself or while playing along to a cordial rhythm track ? Both are fine BUT if you having timing issues and getting off beat and If you practicing only doing the former, then get some means to play a rhythm tract to practice leads over .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 06-12-2018, 07:41 AM

I tend to do a mixture, my actual lesson plan comes from the yousician app (I'm too poor presently for private lessons so I have the premium version of the app) in this it gives you a backing track for your lead and analyzes your playing. However, I also just learn songs not through the app that I would like to learn (presently I am working on Ashokan Farewell and Sligo Creek) and for these I don't typically have a backing track.
Epiphone Sheraton 2 Pro
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Old 06-12-2018, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechariot1x View Post
I tend to do a mixture, my actual lesson plan comes from the yousician app (I'm too poor presently for private lessons so I have the premium version of the app) in this it gives you a backing track for your lead and analyzes your playing. However, I also just learn songs not through the app that I would like to learn (presently I am working on Ashokan Farewell and Sligo Creek) and for these I don't typically have a backing track.
Ok then perhaps for a while stop counting, and start focusing on feeling the rhythm ........ Forget " I know how to count out rhythm"............ and especially for learning to play lead completely forget .. "when I start playing lead since it has more complicated rhythms using 16th notes and stuff, and it takes a lot of concentration"

In learning lead it should not be "more complex" than what you can easily feel is the rhythm Your lead playing should only have the amount complexity you determine, if that is 1/4 or 1/2 or whole notes, it does not matter. Do not try to imitate any lead playing, and any backing track is only for keeping rhythm, suggest a key, and progression .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 06-12-2018 at 08:05 AM.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Ok then perhaps for a while stop counting, and start focusing on feeling the rhythm. Your lead should only have the amount complexity you determine. Do not try to imitate any lead playing, and any backing track is only for keeping rhythm, suggest a key, and progression .
Okay, I'll try this, thanks! I do think I have improved some rhythmically since beginning playing with the Yousician backing tracks just not as much as I would like, and its still a weakness of mine.
Epiphone Sheraton 2 Pro
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Old 06-12-2018, 09:29 AM

Default Foot tapping

Try tapping your foot, or bobbing your head, or otherwise physically engaging part of your body to the groove.

The more familiar you are with a tune & letting your fingers find their way without focusing on it, the more you will be able to feel the pulse.

If it was easy, anyone could do it!
Old 06-12-2018, 02:04 PM

If you looking for a way to keep time, just listen to the drummer. If he's any good, you'll always know where 1 is, because he does.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write