The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 07:26 PM

Default Taylor114ce and Zzounds.com??

Hey guys! I'm Jessie. And I'm pretty new to this whole guitar thing. I've been playing for about 6 months and I learned on a really cheap Greg Bennett by Saumick or something like that. I'm really not sure. However, I've never been a fan of the sound. I'm starting college in August and want to upgrade to a better guitar. I've stopped by some local shops and played a couple different models. And I keep coming back to the Taylor 114ce. Theres a website called ZZounds that offers payment plans. I was thinking of doing that. However I'm iffy on doing business with a company I haven't heard much about. So I guess I'm just wanting advice and personal experience with the website or any tips on a guitar better than the 114ce but still in the same price range. Thanks! (:
Old 06-20-2015, 07:30 PM

Default Taylor114ce and Zzounds.com??

Zzounds is great. Same company as American Musical Supply. I've spent thousands over many years with them. Have no fear. They are every bit as legit as Sam Ash or Guitar Center / Musician's Friend.

Good choice on the 114ce by the way. Good luck with your new guitar shopping!

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

2016 Fender American Standard Strat (Burly Slinky)
2015 Taylor 416e (Elixir PB Lights)
2010 Yamaha FG700S (whatever strings I have lying around)
'88 Yamaha FG405
'91 Washburn D-10N
Fishman Loudbox Mini
2001 Fender Standard Tele (Regular Slinky)
'94 Epiphone SG (Regular Slinky)
'90 Ibanez 540SLTD (Super Slinky)
Ibanez SR500 Bass (Ernie Ball flats)

Old 06-20-2015, 07:34 PM

There is only one thing worth taking a loan out for, and it certainly is not a guitar (is a house).

Save up, pay cash.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:36 PM

I read a few reviews that people have had horrible problems with the customer service or that the items they purchased WERENT the items they received or the site had things misrepresented. Have you ever had any problems like that? .-.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:39 PM

A 114ce is a very good guitar. If you can afford the payments without losing something else, go for it. If you can afford to pay cash, even better.

I know Taylor used to have a pretty good payment plan but I don't know if they still do.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.

Last edited by flaggerphil; 06-20-2015 at 11:13 PM.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
A 114ce is a very good guitar. If you can afford the payments without losing something else, go for it. If you can afford to pay cash, even better.

I know Taylor used to have a pretty good payment plan but I don't know if the still do.
I wasn't aware that taylor had payment plans? When I checked the website to look at some other models I never saw anything where you can purchase directly through them. There's just a link to find a dealer. Which I thought was strange. Maybe I'm just missing it?
Old 06-20-2015, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jssc_lnn View Post
I read a few reviews that people have had horrible problems with the customer service or that the items they purchased WERENT the items they received or the site had things misrepresented. Have you ever had any problems like that? .-.

I've never heard of anything like that with AMS or Zz. Customer service has always been terrific and they haven't messed up a single order of mine in the 15 years or so I've been buying from them.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

2016 Fender American Standard Strat (Burly Slinky)
2015 Taylor 416e (Elixir PB Lights)
2010 Yamaha FG700S (whatever strings I have lying around)
'88 Yamaha FG405
'91 Washburn D-10N
Fishman Loudbox Mini
2001 Fender Standard Tele (Regular Slinky)
'94 Epiphone SG (Regular Slinky)
'90 Ibanez 540SLTD (Super Slinky)
Ibanez SR500 Bass (Ernie Ball flats)

Old 06-20-2015, 08:36 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I bought my Alvarez from Zzounds.com without any issues. The guitar was perfect.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-20-2015, 09:00 PM

Taylor has one year interest free on 300 series and up. If you bought the same 114 from Sweetwater, they offer 24 months same as cash. You just have to make sure you pay it off on time of it's like 28% interest.

Taylor 514ce FLTD, Sitka/Tasmanian Blackwood from Ted at LA Guitar Sales
Taylor 618e 1st Edition, Sitka/maple (2015)
Taylor 814ce, Sitka/Rosewood (2014)
Taylor 526ce, all Mahogany (2014)
Baby Taylor, mahogany (2014)
Taylor 210ce (2014) (on consignment)
PRS S2 Custom semi-hollow body
Fender Blacktop Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro 120th
Gibson SG Classic 120th
Old 06-21-2015, 05:40 AM

[IMG]http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-TAY-110CE-LIST[/IMG]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jssc_lnn View Post
I wasn't aware that taylor had payment plans? When I checked the website to look at some other models I never saw anything where you can purchase directly through them. There's just a link to find a dealer. Which I thought was strange. Maybe I'm just missing it?

I would buy from a retailer like American Musical Supply, one of the ones mentioned. I have had very good experiences with them and have bought a lot of stuff. They have a very good return policy; a 45 day return period if you are not satisfied for any reason.

American Musical Supply has a "Three Pay" payment plan option that does not have a credit check. You just call up and place your order, give them your credit/debit card number and they immediately take off the first payment of 1/3 of the total price, $250 or over orders. Then each following two months you get a third of the total cost taken automatically off of your credit/debit card.

When you place your order with AMS they take the first payment of the "Three Pay" off of your credit/debit card and immediately send you your guitar the same day. I usually get my new guitar the next day, FedEx. You can enjoy your new instrument over the next two months while you have your other two payments automatically taken out of your band account. This works very well.

Here is the link to the web page (no affln.). http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-TAY-110CE-LIST

As an alternative to the Taylor 114ce, I recommend the Taylor 110ce that I personally purchased for the same price. It is not a lesser guitar (because of the number), it is just a different body shape. The Taylor 110ce is a "Dreadnought", one of my favorite guitar shapes and known to be loud. Both of these guitars have smaller, more comfortable bodies than some other guitars, like my "L" series medium jumbo Yamaha, but they are full sized guitars. I dig them.

The 110ce is the same guitar as the 114ce, woods, pickup/preamp, etc., except that the 110ce is a dreadnought. I like the satin finish and the color tone of the Sapele sides and back on both of these guitars. They have solid Sitka spruce, very great guitar tops.

Here is a picture and link to the Taylor 110ce "dreadnought", available for the same price from American Musical Supply.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/i...IkNmJlKetNpFRg

Good luck. I hope some of these pictures of the "dread" body style give you a better ideas of the differences between the two guitars if you are not familiar with them.

The dreads are supposed to be louder than the other body styles, I believe. I know I super dig mine, it is a great guitar. My "L" series LJX6CA is shaped similar to the Taylor 114ce, so I like both body shapes, but definitely enjoy having a few dreads. My expensive Martin SPD16-W is an all solid wood dread, with a solid walnut body. I had never heard of a solid walnut body acoustic before I bought it - used 580 out the door, new in '02, 2300. I feel really lucky to have this Martin really nice dread.

Last edited by Duff; 06-21-2015 at 06:11 AM.
Old 06-21-2015, 06:30 AM

I bought my 000-15M as a scratch and dent from American Music Supply. Got a fantastic deal, new guitar warranty, and after a couple months, have yet to find a single imperfection.

Check them out.
Old 06-21-2015, 07:03 AM

I would recommend looking for a used one that you can afford. I would agree with others who said, at your age, avoid debt. Plus, at college, it is going to get beaten up. Maybe get a Yamaha FG7XX?
Old 06-21-2015, 09:57 AM

Just a suggestion, but if you don't need the cutaway, the 114e is the same guitar and will save you a couple of hundred dollars.
Old 06-21-2015, 12:57 PM

I bought my Guild from them and had no problems at all. They shipped the guitar quick, and it came really well packaged (double boxed with their box and the Guild box, and in the hard case with filler stuffed everywhere). The guitar didn't have a mark on it. On the other side of the coin, since I've not a problem I have no idea how they are at handling them. One nice thing is they will send you an email a week or so prior to your next payment as a reminder.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Guild F-130NAT
Alvarez RD-8
Old 06-21-2015, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff View Post
[IMG]http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-TAY-110CE-LIST[/IMG]

I would buy from a retailer like American Musical Supply, one of the ones mentioned. I have had very good experiences with them and have bought a lot of stuff. They have a very good return policy; a 45 day return period if you are not satisfied for any reason.

American Musical Supply has a "Three Pay" payment plan option that does not have a credit check. You just call up and place your order, give them your credit/debit card number and they immediately take off the first payment of 1/3 of the total price, $250 or over orders. Then each following two months you get a third of the total cost taken automatically off of your credit/debit card.

When you place your order with AMS they take the first payment of the "Three Pay" off of your credit/debit card and immediately send you your guitar the same day. I usually get my new guitar the next day, FedEx. You can enjoy your new instrument over the next two months while you have your other two payments automatically taken out of your band account. This works very well.

Here is the link to the web page (no affln.). http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-TAY-110CE-LIST

As an alternative to the Taylor 114ce, I recommend the Taylor 110ce that I personally purchased for the same price. It is not a lesser guitar (because of the number), it is just a different body shape. The Taylor 110ce is a "Dreadnought", one of my favorite guitar shapes and known to be loud. Both of these guitars have smaller, more comfortable bodies than some other guitars, like my "L" series medium jumbo Yamaha, but they are full sized guitars. I dig them.

The 110ce is the same guitar as the 114ce, woods, pickup/preamp, etc., except that the 110ce is a dreadnought. I like the satin finish and the color tone of the Sapele sides and back on both of these guitars. They have solid Sitka spruce, very great guitar tops.

Here is a picture and link to the Taylor 110ce "dreadnought", available for the same price from American Musical Supply.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/i...IkNmJlKetNpFRg

Good luck. I hope some of these pictures of the "dread" body style give you a better ideas of the differences between the two guitars if you are not familiar with them.

The dreads are supposed to be louder than the other body styles, I believe. I know I super dig mine, it is a great guitar. My "L" series LJX6CA is shaped similar to the Taylor 114ce, so I like both body shapes, but definitely enjoy having a few dreads. My expensive Martin SPD16-W is an all solid wood dread, with a solid walnut body. I had never heard of a solid walnut body acoustic before I bought it - used 580 out the door, new in '02, 2300. I feel really lucky to have this Martin really nice dread.
I'm playing on a dread body style now and personally hate it. I'm fairly small so it just feels bulky. The 114 fits better and it isn't as awkward for me to play. I know all guitars are different so I may stop by the shop again and play around with it. But idk. I really like the feel of the 114.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
taylor, taylor 114ce, taylor guitar, travel guitar, zzounds.com