The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-30-2014, 06:02 AM

Default camping guitar

Redjoker, that's good advice. Play a bunch that are within your budget and buy the one that you like the most. Simple.

I would look much closer at used guitars. They will likely have been baptized with some dings and you won't feel so bad when you add others. A laminate will have the advantage of being cheaper and will be less delicate with the bangings and the temperature and humidity changes it will be subjected to.

But buy one you enjoy playing, one that feels and sounds good to you. If you don't, after some time you just won't play it. Make your big compromises on looks; they won't be seen in a campfire's light and you don't "see" your guitar while you are playing anyhow.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmsone View Post
Its not quite in the budget that you had for the other suggested guitars, but the Furch Little Jane is by far the coolest portable/trave/camping guitar i've seen let.

this is the official video for it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXBHmdVNJJ4

folds up, sounds great, its a winner.
The Furch is a great little guitar and I admire the design. One good thing to look at is the comparison photo they have comparing the Furch travel size vs Journey and VA. Furch packs the smallest because the head detaches separately and so the entire case can be much shorter. Nice design but more expensive to make.

The VA looks huge in comparison to either the Furch or the Journey. Photos here:

http://www.playawayguitars.com/play_...hp?itemID=1348

But the OP is listing a number of guitars all at $150 or under. Nothing over $150. The wood Furch costs substantially more than even the full carbon fiber Journey! $1277 at today's exchange rate!

I personally might be interested in the CF Journey possibly someday, but for the OP limits of $150--well--he's looking for something else entirely. Something small, but usable.

Within his price range he could buy 1 Furch or 8.5 guitars at the $150 price level. More than 12 guitars at the $100 level.

For guitars in that price range, I don't have any suggestions other than the Guitalele which might not interest him. It does have a 1 7/8 inch nut, quite big enough for adult hands, but the scale length is only 17 inch, so frets are more tightly spaced like the larger ukuleles. They run about $100 or less, if there is a special sale. Many people like them and there are some nice youtube videos of people playing them. But small takes adjustment to hold on to while playing.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:38 AM

Of the ones you mentioned, I can recommend the Yamaha JR1. I have played it. It is a real guitar, not a toy. Well made. I intend to buy one for my daughter next year.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

An Austin dread. All laminate (but a solid top version is available) top, back, and sides and sounds decent especially for the under $200 price point IMHO.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 04-30-2014, 07:38 AM
Charter Member

+1 just play some used guitars in your price range.

I had a beater Alvarez that used for a travel/camp guitar for a while. All laminate. Very durable, playable, good intonation. Bought it for $150 and sold it for $150.

Wechter no longer makes travel guitars but I have a decent smaller one, model 1720, that might fit the bill if you find used. Solid mahogany top; laminate sides and back. 1.7" at the nut. Came with padded gig bag. Bought new for $240, so used probably doable.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
cheap guitars, travel guitar