The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-15-2010, 01:35 PM
Nichols Custom Inlay

Beautiful guitar!!
Old 03-15-2010, 01:38 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks AKVisuals!!! I am probably somewhat unusual in that my first 25 guitars saw fairly significant cosmetic changes very frequently. As you said, my guitars have been quite eclectic and I think it is clear that I have always followed my own path.

It is easy to pick out what style you like best but it is quite another thing to start from scratch with your own design and try to find your own "ideal". There have been a few guitars that I've built that I thought turned out very ugly from an aesthetic perspective (although some folks have absolutely loved them) -- but if you asked me how I thought they would look while I was building them, I would have thought they'd look great. It is much easier to miss the mark if your style tends to buck "tradition". The devil really is in the details and I think it takes a bunch of experimentation to really find your own path as well as figure out what works and what doesn't within your own artistic vision. By now, I have definitely figured out what I want to see in my own guitars and how to orchestrate all the details needed to get me there. No doubt, the artistic side of lutherie is large part of why I love building.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop