The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-04-2009, 01:17 PM

The music teacher/student relationship is much like therapist/patient relationships. If you don't find one that you really mesh well with, you're not going to make as much progress.

Find someone that understands your goals better (of course, it's up to you to define those goals clearly and specifically).

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken
Old 07-05-2009, 11:40 AM

At present I am teaching myself guitar. I plan to take some lessons in the future, however, on my terms. The advice you received so far IMO is good, however, the important advice is: First you must be happy with the teacher. It is your time and money. Next you tell the teacher exactly what you want now and where you want to go. For example: I have taken classical lessons on clarinet and sax most of my child hood life. What a drag. Past sixty years of age I wanted to learn to play piano and I did not want to take lessons for ten years to do so. I hired a teacher who was also a performer. I told him I wanted to learn songs, song by song the way he played them in the clubs. If he wanted to teach me other stuff, theory, scales, etc. along with the songs fine, but, he must teach me the songs. I had a three hour lesson once a week for 21 months and then quit because I moved to another country. After 21 months I can play piano in a restaurant, dinner club, or hotel lobby and do it well. My only head start was that I knew how to read music to start with. Teachers are good, but, don't let them control you. They work for you, not the other way around. Good luck and keep playing and most of all -have fun. Music has been my life time hobby and at 71 I am still with it.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:44 PM

Dear Jack,

Rule #1: It's supposed to be fun, man!

If you want to play the blues (whatever), find someone who is into the blues (whatever) to teach you AND encourage you. Sounds like he's the wrong teacher for you.

Best of luck,
Rob
Old 07-08-2009, 01:45 PM

Your (former?) teacher sounds like he's used to dealing with children rather than adults... starting from ground up only. Children often need to be led, but that's a little insulting to an adult if there's no give and take.

As to whether the homework he's giving is useful, you have to decide where this is going to take you in a year. What will you be able to do that you can't do now, and is that worthwhile to you.

If you really do want to play Lightnin' Hopkins, say, the "technique" you need for that might be something entirely foreign to this teacher.

Last edited by DaveT66a; 07-08-2009 at 01:52 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD