The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-09-2018, 10:33 AM

Default Teaching 15yo grand daughter to play Acoustic

My 15 year old grand daughter wants to learn to play and has asked me to help her out. Since I just started playing a couple years ago (after taking 50 years off). It should be fun. I have a beginners course that I took so will use that for a template. My plan is to teach the way I was taught and keep it fun and simple.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Old 06-09-2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghswen View Post
My 15 year old grand daughter wants to learn to play and has asked me to help her out. Since I just started playing a couple years ago (after taking 50 years off). It should be fun. I have a beginners course that I took so will use that for a template. My plan is to teach the way I was taught and keep it fun and simple.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Small bodied guitar (OOO maybe) with narrow neck to fit female hands. Light strings so she can practice without excessive soreness. If she sings, capo so she can play in a key comfortable to sing in.

Tell her good luck.
1979 Alvarez CY 115, #226 of 600
1977 Giannini Craviola 12 String
1997 Martin CEO-1R
1970s C.F. Mountain OOO-18
1968 Standel/Harptone E6-N
1969-70 Harptone Maple Lark L6-NC (Katrina guitar)
Supreme A-12
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Esteban Antonio Brown Model
Old 06-09-2018, 10:47 AM

I like to teach the notes on the strings, the open chords, how to read notation in open position, but most of all songs. Playing the melody while you play chords, and vise versa. I like more than just playing three chords while singing, although there is nothing wrong with that. Getting the basics of both physically playing the instrument and the theory behind the notes is a foundation that can be built on in any direction.
Old 06-09-2018, 10:49 AM

I think using your beginners course as a basic template is a good idea, however, I would advise possibly asking her for a few artists or songs that she likes that she'd like to be able to play. I think it's a huge motivator, to be able to play music that you connect with.

Theory and chords and learning all that fun stuff is vital as well, but I feel like especially for younger players, the best way to get them hooked and wanting to learn.. is to get them playing music that *means* something. this is how my lessons went; I had just been introduced to 'the Jimi Hendrix Experience' by my neighbor, so my instructor would trade off ... if I completed whatever homework/"assignment" he had given me for the previous week, then he would let me pick a song and would teach it to me.

I'm sure you'll get lots of other fine advice, which is great, but I think the number one way to motivate her would be to ask what she'd like to play, and start getting a head-start on learning a few of those songs yourself, so you can teach them to her.

That's what I'd do!

Scott
Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Old 06-09-2018, 10:52 AM

Thanks for the tips!

All of those suggestions are in my 'plan'.

I'm also going to incorporate many of Tony's recommendations into the lesson plans.

My whole idea is based on keeping it simple and doing my best to keep her motivated!
Old 06-09-2018, 11:27 AM

Keep it fun and let her tell you what she likes and doesn't like to do.
Try to find a way to keep her practicing daily if possible. Not too long though at first.
Like already mentioned a smaller guitar will be a little easier to play but first and foremost, be sure the guitar is set up and easy to play!!!
Old 06-09-2018, 11:33 AM

A parlor style guitar might help her, a dread is probably to large for here at this age.
In my opinion teach her to chord G C D A and mayb F then find her some songs that she likes that use those chords and let her play them
Old 06-09-2018, 07:18 PM

Yep, warn her about the potential pain until she earns her callouses would be my first up tip and then get her a steel string guitar with a body and a neck that she feels comfortable with.
Old 06-09-2018, 07:54 PM

I totally endorse the recommendation of asking her if there are any songs she would like to learn. Also introduce her to some easy stuff that you know. Learning songs is an essential way to learn music. Even jazz guys will tell you that. Of course there is theory and learning notes but that can come with time. At this stage it's ear training.

I get beginners to first learn how to tune the guitar then basic chords and then we get into rhythm and learning songs. In music I continually stress to beginners that time is the most important thing. Of course melody and harmony are also important. However... You can learn all the chords, notes and scales until the cows come home but you have to know when to play them at the right time. Rhythm is the key.

Most of all make it fun!
Old 06-10-2018, 08:59 AM

At 15 - depending on how tall she is - she may well be OK with a full-size acoustic. See how comfortable she feels with yours. Obviously she needs her own instrument, and it's important it really feels like her choice, not something she's been advised to get (unless of course she has no preference). The more she "owns" the instrument and the process, the more motivated she'll be.

I agree with the advice about a capo, and working on songs she knows (and would like to sing). It's great that you're both learning - there'll be an element of fun competition: and don't be surprised when she easily overtakes you (teens learn fast).
Old 06-10-2018, 09:17 AM

My advice would be to get a good setup done on her guitar.
It's something I find beginners often don't want to do but for me it makes a massive difference to the playing experience.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 06-10-2018, 10:45 AM

First thanks again for all of the suggestions!

I took her to a friends house yesterday (he has over 50 guitars) and let her try out different sizes and styles. He had a couple of Classical guitars and she fell in love with them. So we bought one for her. The nylon strings should help with the fingers and the fit is great!

She is finished with finals and school next week and then we will start the lessons. Will set a time once a week for a 1 hour lesson then let her work through the week getting it down. We will go from there.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghswen View Post
First thanks again for all of the suggestions!

I took her to a friends house yesterday (he has over 50 guitars) and let her try out different sizes and styles. He had a couple of Classical guitars and she fell in love with them. So we bought one for her. The nylon strings should help with the fingers and the fit is great!

She is finished with finals and school next week and then we will start the lessons. Will set a time once a week for a 1 hour lesson then let her work through the week getting it down. We will go from there.
That's great! Best of luck!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write