The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Events and New Releases

Old 04-30-2018, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Default Inexpensive way into carbon fiber guitars

Klos guitars are launching their full-size guitar campaign. While it's not an all carbon fiber guitar. It's is a carbon fiber body. At under a $1000 it looks like a good deal.
Just thought some people might be interested.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...eid=0c188f4dc5
Old 04-30-2018, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

Promoting it as "being able to run over it with a 4-Runner" or "use it as a golf club," is one way of doing things. While I think more CF is a good thing, I don't understand why the use of wood anywhere in the guitar? Or, 4 bolts to remove the neck?

There are other carbon fiber options near that price range that are well-proven: Emerald X7, Journey OF660, RainSong CH-OM (OK, a bit more of a stretch price-wise on that last one).
Old 04-30-2018, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

I was originally interested in Klos guitars when they started crowdfunding with the promise of a low cost CF guitar. It made sense that the neck would be wood to save costs.

It seems like a good idea still but when I think I could get a used X7 for ~$800 versus a new Klos for $600 I have trouble favoring the Klos.

I've read a few reviews of the sound of the Klos and those further pushed me away.

I hope they are successful - I'd love a super affordable CF guitar. I think they are in a difficult market-segment with their price point and product.

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 04-30-2018, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

I was actually waiting for this announcement...I was thinking about one of these, but found a Rainsong CH-OM in an open box sale. So for $300 more than the KLOS, I went for that. These KLOS guitars DO look cool. I like the detachable neck, but not so sure about the wooden neck (that sounds funny) on a carbon guitar.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Promoting it as "being able to run over it with a 4-Runner" or "use it as a golf club," is one way of doing things. .
That is something i would have to see to believe. I have experience with carbon fiber guitars and a 4 wheeler

Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 04-30-2018, 07:31 PM
Charter Member

I sold all my wood guitars these last few months as I am moving to the high desert where I know wood will crack, warp etc. unless you keep them humidified properly. I know I'd fail at keeping up with that as I may go out of town for weeks at a time......and bam I'd come back to stacks of worthless wood. So in my search I came upon the Klos carbon fiber guitar but discounted it because it having a wooden neck.....what good is that, it seems like the weak link in being bullet proof.....So I bought a used Rainsong Smokey Hybrid and a CA GX Performer which just delivered today. The Used market is a great place to buy high end Carbon at a great price....
Old 04-30-2018, 07:40 PM

Great buys CRM... you done good! CRM must be short for CA RainSong Man
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 04-30-2018, 08:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM View Post
I sold all my wood guitars these last few months as I am moving to the high desert where I know wood will crack, warp etc. unless you keep them humidified properly. I know I'd fail at keeping up with that as I may go out of town for weeks at a time......and bam I'd come back to stacks of worthless wood. So in my search I came upon the Klos carbon fiber guitar but discounted it because it having a wooden neck.....what good is that, it seems like the weak link in being bullet proof.....So I bought a used Rainsong Smokey Hybrid and a CA GX Performer which just delivered today. The Used market is a great place to buy high end Carbon at a great price....
All the best with your new CF guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Events and New Releases