The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-20-2023, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
As a lefty I would never know!
Hey, I'm a lefty. But play all right.

Your solution is simple - tune to an open chord and strum with the port open and again with it closed. You'll learn what you need to know to see if it works for you.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 10-22-2023, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

Default WILS 2023

As others have said, Baker put on a wonderful and bittersweet swan song WILS and is deserving of all the heartfelt tributes and thanks for his efforts this year and in all previous years.

The setting of this show at the Bearsville Theater and Utopia Soundstage a couple of miles outside of Woodstock is wonderfully unique and brings a nostalgic vibe to to the exhibition of music and guitars inside. This was my first return to WILS since 2017-2018 and I was impressed by the facility upgrades the new ownership made without adversely altering the original character.

Cheryl and I attended all 3 days of the show and it was great to see and catch up with old friends and meet a few new ones as well. We enjoyed getting to visit with a majority of the luthiers and the guitars that we were able to play were all top notch. Not surprisingly, as others have mentioned, offering prices have trended up considerably from 5 years ago, but probably not more than other consumer goods.

I have an upcoming Mod-D commission with Michel Aboudib and was able to resist the temptation(s) to purchase a guitar at the show this year. It was really helpful to visit with Michel and firm up some of the specs for that build and check out the guitars he exhibited. Getting to see Sinistral's Redwood-Koa MA-D in person and meet him was great. Sam Guidry's guitars really impressed me as did Jason Kostal's and Ray Kraut's 00's! It was a pleasure to meet Ray's apprentice, Howard Feng and play the Mod-D that he built and had with him.
I'll give a shout out to 3 women who came here from outside the U.S. with guitars that I absolutely loved: Noemi Schembri, Nicole Alosinac, and Rosie Heydenriych. Kathy Wingert and Rebecca Urlacher's guitars were also top notch entries.

Some of my pictures from the show are here. My apologies to the luthiers who I visited with and didn't photograph. That was most likely due to being immersed with playing their guitars!
Old 10-22-2023, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

Smile Nice pics, Doug

Sounds like a fine time was enjoyed by ALL. And thank you for the photos!!!

Let’s hope Woodstock continues under new management….

Be well and have FUN

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 10-22-2023, 03:05 PM
Charter Member

What I like about the OP’s comments is that they are his observations, not judgements. I find his observations thought provoking.

Last edited by K20C; 10-22-2023 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-24-2023, 10:14 AM

Thank you. That was what I hoped to do.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 10-25-2023, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

Yes, I am well aware this is an acoustic guitar forum, still reading names like Bearsville or Utopia gives me shivers as I think about one of the few living genius musicians- Todd Rundgren. That Woodstock area was his kingdom when some of the most outstanding masterpieces in modern music were recorded at Bearsville Studios.
Old 10-25-2023, 02:56 PM

Yesterday was a new guitar day as I received my Riviere OM after Jud and the guitar visited Woodstock. I hope BIG and Woodstock attendees got a chance to play it. Jud is a great guy and great young luthier!
Old 10-25-2023, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Mc View Post
Yesterday was a new guitar day as I received my Riviere OM after Jud and the guitar visited Woodstock. I hope BIG and Woodstock attendees got a chance to play it. Jud is a great guy and great young luthier!
That was a great guitar and a great young builder on the rise. He has already asked to be included in B.I.G. next year!
Old 10-25-2023, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by massimo View Post
Yes, I am well aware this is an acoustic guitar forum, still reading names like Bearsville or Utopia gives me shivers as I think about one of the few living genius musicians- Todd Rundgren. That Woodstock area was his kingdom when some of the most outstanding masterpieces in modern music were recorded at Bearsville Studios.
I had the same thoughts.
Old 10-25-2023, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by massimo View Post
In case you were wondering, yes Todd does appreciate single luthier built acoustic guitars like those exhibited at Woodstock. Jason Kostal told me that Todd owns one of his guitars and shared a fun story about personally delivering it to him backstage while Todd was on tour with Ringo's All-Star Band.

Todd's likeness is included in a couple different murals at the Bearsville Theater. Picture 1) Todd (in the upper right) circa his time as engineer with The Band for their album "Stage Fright" and Picture 2) lower right as a guitarist band leader in the 70's.

His albums covers for "Something/Anything?", "AWATS" "Todd" and Utopia are also displayed among the many records recorded at Bearsville Studio. Additionally, there is a local newspaper article from the early 70's about Todd during his time living in Woodstock which is displayed the Utopia Soundstage Building.

Old 10-25-2023, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

That’s awesome, Jeff. Was yours the EIR / Sitka? Fantastic instrument in terms of sound, playability, and fit and finish. I was quite smitten with it at BIG and got on his build list : )
Old 10-25-2023, 06:58 PM

Did anyone here attend the String Sampler Concert? If so, did you see Grant Gordy and Ross Martin?

I wasn't in Woodstock but Ross told me they'd done a show there. I love listening to them, they have a great sound and very eclectic repertoire.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 10-25-2023, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcn View Post
That’s awesome, Jeff. Was yours the EIR / Sitka? Fantastic instrument in terms of sound, playability, and fit and finish. I was quite smitten with it at BIG and got on his build list : )
Mine was the other one - Madagascar rosewood and Swiss spruce.
Old 10-25-2023, 07:39 PM
Charter Member

Equally excellent! Just a different flavor of superlative : )
Old 10-26-2023, 01:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Mine was the other one - Madagascar rosewood and Swiss spruce.
Is it this one?

I didn’t play it but did admire it, and heard Matt Thomas make it sing. I met Judson at the Artisan show earlier this year. He is remarkably talented, and a genuinely nice guy. Congratulations on an exquisite guitar!

The talk about Woodstock’s musical legacy makes me hope even more that someone takes the torch from Baker. Music is such a part of the town—it makes a great show even more special.

To Brent, sadly, I missed the String Sampler Concert. By Saturday evening, I was pretty tired decided to rest after Adam Miller’s performance, which was spectacular.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop