The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-16-2021, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

Default Do satin finishes suffer from checking or immune from it?

I was wondering if anyone knows whether we have to be careful with satin finish guitars like the Martin 000-15 the same way you do with gloss finishes
Old 04-16-2021, 12:28 PM

Not to my knowledge.
The experts will soon be chiming in

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 04-16-2021, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

Had a satin lacquer guitar years back. Got lots of checking from rapid temperature changes.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 04-16-2021, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneh View Post
I was wondering if anyone knows whether we have to be careful with satin finish guitars like the Martin 000-15 the same way you do with gloss finishes
"Satin" is not a type or composition of finish. It is a level of sheen or gloss.

Typical wood finishes belong to one of two categories of finish types. Those that sit on the surface of the wood are referred to as "surface finishes". Those that penetrate into the fibres of the wood are referred to as "penetrating finishes".

Most penetrating finishes - mostly oil-based finishes - have little or no "build" to them that sits on the surface of the wood. Hence, there is no layer of finish that can cold check or craze. These finishes are typically matte or satin in sheen.

Some surface finishes - most notably nitrocellulose lacquer - are prone to cold checking/crazing. Some are not. Surface finishes can be matte, satin or gloss.

Thus, the answer to your question is that it largely depends on the composition of the finish rather than on its sheen. To determine if a specific instrument is prone to cold checking, start by determining what type and composition of finish it has.
Old 04-17-2021, 12:09 AM

Charles is correct - it depends on what the finish material IS, not whether it’s satin or high gloss. As a rule, nitrocellulose lacquer is going to be more prone to finish checking than the various polyester and polyurethane finishes will be.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 04-17-2021, 04:13 AM

My all Ovangkol Martin D-16 has satin back and sides and gloss top.... back and sides don't have a mark on them, top has pick scratches and circular cleaning marks from wiping it down. I guess it depends on the level of "sheen" a guitar has.

My old beater which was my very first guitar and still have is an old SX dreadnought and it's all gloss and has endless marks all over it.
Old 04-17-2021, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxHound4690 View Post
My all Ovangkol Martin D-16 has satin back and sides and gloss top.... back and sides don't have a mark on them, top has pick scratches and circular cleaning marks from wiping it down. I guess it depends on the level of "sheen" a guitar has.

My old beater which was my very first guitar and still have is an old SX dreadnought and it's all gloss and has endless marks all over it.
None of what you describe has anything to do with the OP.
He’s referring to the “cracking” in the finish that can occur due to sudden and relatively extreme temperature change.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 04-17-2021, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Charles is correct - it depends on what the finish material IS, not whether it’s satin or high gloss. As a rule, nitrocellulose lacquer is going to be more prone to finish checking than the various polyester and polyurethane finishes will be.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
This answer is your huckleberry
Old 04-17-2021, 06:24 AM
Charter Member

Lowdens have had checking issues in their gorgeous satin finishes in the past, most notably at the waist. I had one with them, and even after it was refinished at Lowden, they reappeared. I have a McIlroy now.
Old 04-17-2021, 08:14 AM

I have seen plenty of satin finishes check.
Old 04-17-2021, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneh View Post
Lowdens famously have satin finishes and I have seen Lowdens with typical finish checking. The gloss vs satin top finish does not seem to be a variable in whether the finish will check, typically from rapid temperature shifts.

hans
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion