The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-17-2021, 08:14 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Default Subtle neck profile differences

I received my Furch a little while back and the setup felt a little higher than what I am used to. So I let it acclimate a bit and then I took some relief out of the neck as I like very little relief. I made a mental note to adjust the saddle when I change the strings.

Last night I got out the Furch and the Avalon. I set the Avalon on its back on my desk and marked the 11-12th fret string height on a white card. Then I put the Furch on my desk and marked the 11-12th fret string height on the same card. The marks were right on top of each other. Exactly the same. I was expecting to see a gap in the lines to transfer onto the Furch's saddle for sanding.

All I can think of to explain the way it feels is the little bit of hip to the Furch neck that my other guitars don't have which is spreading my hand out a touch. I guess I'll get used to it over more playing time. The nut height feels perfect. Nothing unusual at the lower frets.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

Last edited by TBman; 04-17-2021 at 08:19 AM.
Old 04-17-2021, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Is there a difference in scale length or string gauge? I'm wondering if a difference in tension could make the action feel different.
Old 04-17-2021, 09:57 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Is there a difference in scale length or string gauge? I'm wondering if a difference in tension could make the action feel different.
The scales are the same and the Avalon has mediums on it, while the Furch has lights. I'm "scratching my head" a bit, but I'll play it and see what happens over time.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 04-17-2021, 05:59 PM

Default Subtle neck profile differences

Maybe slightly different neck profiles are making them seem slightly different to each other.

We have 5 good acoustics in the house of which 2 are Furch OMs: my wife’s OM23sf (spruce and maple) and my OM34sr (spruce and rosewood). Hers is a Millenium series model with a C-shaped neck and mine is Vintage series with what feels like a slightly more V-shaped profile. Both have the 43 mm nut width - but both feel slightly different to each other. I prefer my OM34 but love playing on the maple OM23.

Give it time and don’t over think it is my advice; you’ve got a beautiful guitar and while I know you want to be wowed by it straight away it is surely going to take a little time for you to get used to and comfortable with the differences.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden

Last edited by pieterh; 04-18-2021 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-17-2021, 06:20 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
Maybe slightly different neck profiles are making them seem slightly different to each other.

We have 5 good acoustics in the house of which 2 are Furch OMs: my wife’s OM23sf (spruce and maple) and my OM34sr (spruce and rosewood). Hers is a Millenium series model with a C-shaped neck and mine is Vintage series with what feels like a slightly more V-shaped profile. Both have the 43 mm nut width - but both feel slightly different to each other. I prefer my OM34 but love playing on the maple OM23.

Give it time and don’t over think it is my advice; you’ve got a beautiful guitar and while I know you want to be wowed by it straight away it is surely going to take a little time for you to get used to and confortable with the differences.
Good advice, thanks!

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion