The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-28-2022, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

Default Incredible contractor...what a rarity!

We have a sprawling hill behind our home, and the dirt is horrible. Clay and rock. We've been trying to tame it for years, but finally decided to bite the bullet and hire a designer to put in a plan. They did a nice job with the plans, but the price they quoted to execute on it was absolutely ridiculous. And the plans weren't cheap. But my wife was happy with it, so that's fine.

So we decided to show the design to a few local landscape contracting companies, and we ended up going with the one with the best pricing. We were cautious on this because we've been burned before going with budget options and have generally found you get what you pay for.

But we met this father and some team (Victor and Victor) who just felt right. Eager, helpful, friendly, and knowledgable. So we went with them, and just could not be any happier with the work. It's hard, hard work on that hill, but they've been moving at an incredible pace. So much so, that it's been hard for my wife and I to balance our day jobs and the decisions we need to make while the guys are here, they're actually pushing us and we've been taking time in the evening to finalize things.

They've done a quality job at this pace as well, and all done with a smile and with helpful suggestions when we've been a bit stuck. Can't say enough good things about them, and it's transformed the outside living aspect of our home.

Have you run into great contractors in your experience? It's such a welcome relief from some of the usual problems.
Old 09-28-2022, 03:34 PM
Anticipation Junkie

A rarity is right! Being a somewhat handy guy (built our last rural log home before moving to the burbs a few years ago), over the years I’ve tended to do most things myself, but when I’ve need contractors, despite screening, I’ve had more just ok and lousy types than good/great from every perspective you can think of (quality, punctuality, tastiness, cleanliness).

One great small standout that comes to mind was a roofing company which replaced the shingles on a very steep 12 pitch roof with 6 dormers, a garage and separate shed. They were young guys and despite the summer heat in the high 90s, they were professional in every way, reasonably priced, and always with a smile. I’ve referred them often since.
Old 09-28-2022, 03:51 PM

From the worst moments my wife was dealing with cancer and complications.

Our water heater went out hours after she came home from surgery. We NEEDED a water heater. After a bad experience with a larger firm I called a small one I drive by west of town. I did not want to expose our bad scenario but did say we just brought a family member home from the hospital, and we'd gladly pay for emergency service.

The small town plumber jumped through hoops. A pickup of a distributor salesperson showed up with a water heater. He said he didn't know what was going on but was told his wife would get the best dinner in town for it. The plumber arrived, apologized for not finding a bargain, and only charged $80 labor for all that and weekend emergency service.

Needless to say we only use that plumber now and I tell everyone I can to use them. I think he realized we had something pretty bad going on. It really made my day when I was juggling a sick and in trouble wife, 3 scared kids, and work.
Old 09-29-2022, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

I was a great contractor before I retired….I had a design/build business and built and generalled all the homes I designed….I treated every client with respect and did my best to listen to them and spend their money wisely….many wonderful experiences….I met and knew many great contractors of all types over the years…

…and yes I met and knew of the posers and garbage merchants too…it’s a shame they give the rest of us a bad rap…

..I’m really glad you found a contractor that you worked well with….they’re out there….due diligence as always…
Old 09-29-2022, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
I was a great contractor before I retired….I had a design/build business and built and generalled all the homes I designed….I treated every client with respect and did my best to listen to them and spend their money wisely….many wonderful experiences….I met and knew many great contractors of all types over the years…

…and yes I met and knew of the posers and garbage merchants too…it’s a shame they give the rest of us a bad rap…

..I’m really glad you found a contractor that you worked well with….they’re out there….due diligence as always…
I shouldn't have said "a rarity", I should have said, "it's been a while". We've had a recent run of issues but in the past have had some good experiences. These guys are just above and beyond. There are some good folks out there for sure.
Old 09-29-2022, 06:38 PM

I can do the small stuff, but the big jobs I need to hire out. A couple of my brothers own several properties, so they’ve used lots of contractors over the years - I usually use their referrals. So far so good, no complaints.
Old 09-29-2022, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

Just found out the son, who's been running the job and working with much older guys, is just 18. Really impressed with the kid, handles himself really well. So much more mature than i was at that age. He's going to do well!
Old 09-29-2022, 08:25 PM

a good contract is heaven sent

when our house fire happened and we needed to rebuild the guy we hired was a total rock star. the crap he did to get our house back to "livable" was nothing short of miraculous.

I've had other contractors that would literally screw up hanging some sheet rock... "Heck I could have done that!! I hired you so it wouldn't look like I did it!! but hey thanks anyway"

"cool! so be sure to refer me to all your family and friends!!"

Ya,,, -- no... buh bye..

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 09-30-2022, 01:06 AM
Charter Member

We own two attached houses (think duplex/townhouse, but bigger at 3400sf each) in Costa Rica, which were purchased in 2017 and 2019. For the last five years, our local property manager and contractor have managed several renovation projects via WhatsApp and iMessage... from 4000 miles away, and translated from Spanish to English (or vice-versa).

Our contractor is amazing. He's worked in nearly every room in the house, added a 3rd floor master bathroom in one house, renovating the 3rd floor master bathroom in the other house (right now), converted two studio rooms with kitchenettes into massive bedroom suites, replaced the roof on both houses (due to structural issues; last month), huge upgrades in both front courtyards (tile floors, landscaping, lighting, plants, etc.), same for the front street (huge curb appeal), added wrought iron and teak wood fences throughout both houses, built and installed a 5000 liter water tank that feeds both houses (in the event of a water shortage), etc. And most of this has been since Dec 2019, when we took ownership of both houses (and in between rental guests throughout 2021-present).

Tremendous respect and trust for our contractor (and our property manager).
Old 09-30-2022, 06:49 AM

We put an addition on our house about fifteen years ago using a local building contractor. He was rarely on the job but the two young men who did all the work were friendly, professional, good humored and excellent at their craft.

Alas, the boss contractor faded away but the one young man struck out on his own.

As a start up he had a few rough years. We threw as much work at him as possible-really little things you’d normally do yourself or give to a handyman.

He never balked at anything and seemed appreciative for the work.

He is now on of the best, most recognized builders in the area. He’s done work for a ton of our friends and we used him to remodel our beach house. He’s hard working, diligent, collaborative and creative. And he’s a great guy.

He still picks up the phone whenever I call and still jumps into our small stuff, albeit not quite as quickly due to how busy he is.

Oh, his work partner (though not his financial partner) is the other young man from 15 years ago.

Nice success story of a great craftsman who took a chance and has built a nice business.
Old 09-30-2022, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

I've had some very good contractors. Now that I think about it, I've had more good ones than bad ones. Then there are the "okay" contractors. I have a very good contractor carpeting my second floor as I speak. He's been great to work with. Thank God todays the last day though. I'm tired of moving furniture from room to room.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic