The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-11-2017, 11:55 PM

The Fender Super Champ X2 may be a good amp for both you and your son - it has a tube output section that sounds better than the Mustang (the X2's clean is approaching Princeton quality).

The clean channel 1 has that signature Fender tone, plus it takes pedals very well - as is demonstrated in this Gilmour sound YouTube clip - and channel 2 has some decent Marshall & Vox tones and other voicings, too.

Old 12-12-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
It’s a Boss multi-effects pedal.
he was talking about a fender gt40 so i....never mind. ha!

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 12-12-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomaynor View Post
The Fender Super Champ X2 may be a good amp for both you and your son - it has a tube output section that sounds better than the Mustang (the X2's clean is approaching Princeton quality).

The clean channel 1 has that signature Fender tone, plus it takes pedals very well - as is demonstrated in this Gilmour sound YouTube clip - and channel 2 has some decent Marshall & Vox tones and other voicings, too.

I'd second the Super Champ. I have one that I use exclusively for Bedroom use...although it does get quite loud.

Clean channel is superb for the money, the reverb is pretty good, and even though i only use the digital channels sparingly, 3-4 of them sound plenty good for my needs.
Old 12-12-2017, 04:46 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
he was talking about a fender gt40 so i....never mind. ha!

play music!
Yeah, see my post above. Sorry 'bout that.

The GT40 and GT100 are Mustangs. I've never heard of a Mustang called anything other than "Mustang", so the term GT-100 by itself immediately made me think of the GT-100 stompbox Boss has had out forever. I even Googled "GT-100" and nothing came up except the floor effects unit. It's only when you add the word "amp" to "GT-100" that the Mustang GT-100 comes up.

Oh well, I think I've sufficiently beaten that dead horse.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulp1960 View Post
It most certainly is not all analogue.
Correct, not all analogue....the fx are digital....thanks for correcting.
Old 12-13-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Correct, not all analogue....the fx are digital....thanks for correcting.
For better or worse it would seem to be a digital modelling amp to me despite Roland's attempts to keep mentioning the word analog.
From Roland web site:

"Tube Logic is the driving technology behind Blues Cube amplifiers, and is in itself, the reason these amplifiers are able to deliver dynamic, powerful tube tone found in the most coveted vintage guitar amplifiers.

The Blues Cube engineers understand what every seasoned guitar player knows: The guitar amplifier is as much an instrument as a guitar itself. They have succeeded in making an amplifier that players can fall in love with. An amplifier whose notes bloom, sag, breathe, and roar in perfect response to the player’s touch.

The Tube Logic journey began with Roland’s engineers dismantling and carefully examining a late 50’s tweed amplifier (regarded by many as the quintessential holy grail of guitar tone) in order to truly understand its circuitry. Through exhaustive playing, measuring and testing the minute electrical interactions within the amplifier, the engineers worked tirelessly to fully understand the physics and behaviour of these classic amps. Everything was analysed, from the input jack to the filter capacitors, rectifier, the phase inverter and all in between.

The final result was Tube Logic – a marriage of solid-state analog technology and DSP that goes way beyond modelling, and enables the creation of amplifiers that exhibit the precise behaviour and tone of a vintage tube amplifier using modern, reliable, lightweight technology."
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 12-13-2017, 04:27 PM

Have you tried the Blues Jr or is it too heavy or loud for you? Stellar cleans. a Blues machine.

The Super Champ x2 is pretty good, but not as good as the Junior IMO.

The Roland Blues Cube sounds good in every clip I have seen too.

I just picked up a Fender Frontman 25R from Craigslist for 40 bucks. The cleans are surprisingly good. Plenty of volume too. I will gig it, for sure.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 12-13-2017, 06:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulp1960 View Post
For better or worse it would seem to be a digital modelling amp to me despite Roland's attempts to keep mentioning the word analog.
From Roland web site:

"Tube Logic is the driving technology behind Blues Cube amplifiers, and is in itself, the reason these amplifiers are able to deliver dynamic, powerful tube tone found in the most coveted vintage guitar amplifiers.

The Blues Cube engineers understand what every seasoned guitar player knows: The guitar amplifier is as much an instrument as a guitar itself. They have succeeded in making an amplifier that players can fall in love with. An amplifier whose notes bloom, sag, breathe, and roar in perfect response to the player’s touch.

The Tube Logic journey began with Roland’s engineers dismantling and carefully examining a late 50’s tweed amplifier (regarded by many as the quintessential holy grail of guitar tone) in order to truly understand its circuitry. Through exhaustive playing, measuring and testing the minute electrical interactions within the amplifier, the engineers worked tirelessly to fully understand the physics and behaviour of these classic amps. Everything was analysed, from the input jack to the filter capacitors, rectifier, the phase inverter and all in between.

The final result was Tube Logic – a marriage of solid-state analog technology and DSP that goes way beyond modelling, and enables the creation of amplifiers that exhibit the precise behaviour and tone of a vintage tube amplifier using modern, reliable, lightweight technology."
I definitely don't know more than Roland, I can only go by what they write...
I can say the Blues Cube has a very tube-like oomph, that low "feel it in the chest" sound. I never heard/felt this with any other solid state amp. Just my opinion.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:21 PM

Hey All,

Hmmm... I do need to look at Roland blues cube I have heard good things about them.

That said the sound quality from the super champ vid was really good. It turns out my son is going to Victoria bc - 60 miles from me tomorrow and he can try one as they have one of the only two in bc in this chain store. Ill see what he has to say.

I mentioned my son has a laney ironheart and when he traded a Jackson and another guitar for it I didn't pay attention to its specs or anything. I did notice how it made me say wow that sounds great. Well it turns out it is a 30 watt 1x12 multi channel tube amp (heavy as neck) using 2 6l6 output tubes an 3 or 4 great sounding preamp tubes (ecc83 something). Its 30 tube watts attenuated down to one watt if you want. It is a fender by another mother.

So I trust what he thinks of the super champ. Ill get something I like eventually. It still fascinates me that really bottom line you need to pay just as much maybe more attention to your amp as it really is another instrument an the last thing that influences your sound before a human ear. How many beginner to intermediate guitarists really get this fact. How many guitarists can really tell the difference between true fender tone an vox tone an Marshall tone? I'm tone sensitive whether guitar or amp - blessing or curse?

I do thank everyone again for their responses.

-Ed-

from Blaine Larsen's Song "If Merle Would Sing My Song"
Old 12-14-2017, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Have you tried the Blues Jr or is it too heavy or loud for you? Stellar cleans. a Blues machine.

The Super Champ x2 is pretty good, but not as good as the Junior IMO.

The Roland Blues Cube sounds good in every clip I have seen too.

I just picked up a Fender Frontman 25R from Craigslist for 40 bucks. The cleans are surprisingly good. Plenty of volume too. I will gig it, for sure.
This when it comes to the Fender Blues Junior.

I'm a big fan of this amp.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:55 AM

Hey All,

So the super champ x2 in Victoria was a bust. The amp snap crackle pop like rice krispies dimed. Maybe just needed tubes reset who knows.

So I was trying to decide if I have the store bring in the only other one in their chain of stores in BC to try. So four days later I go in the store to probably order it versus just buying a Princeton an not buying some wrangler jeep accessories. I go in the amp room an lo an behold there is a little black amp that says super champ x2 on it.

Store took it in trade day before an on the shelf 4 or 5 hours before I got there. It is very lightly used as just a few small scuff marks. I tried it an it sounds great on the clean channel an the modeling side has some good tones as well. Effects work an I bought it. Looks like I'm going to play with fender fuse. Paid about 40 percent of new. This will be fun I'm a happy camper. My grandfather used to say - even a blind pig finds an acorn every once in a while. :-)

-Ed-

from Blaine Larsen's Song "If Merle Would Sing My Song"
Old 12-20-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyEd View Post
Hey All,

So the super champ x2 in Victoria was a bust. The amp snap crackle pop like rice krispies dimed. Maybe just needed tubes reset who knows.

So I was trying to decide if I have the store bring in the only other one in their chain of stores in BC to try. So four days later I go in the store to probably order it versus just buying a Princeton an not buying some wrangler jeep accessories. I go in the amp room an lo an behold there is a little black amp that says super champ x2 on it.

Store took it in trade day before an on the shelf 4 or 5 hours before I got there. It is very lightly used as just a few small scuff marks. I tried it an it sounds great on the clean channel an the modeling side has some good tones as well. Effects work an I bought it. Looks like I'm going to play with fender fuse. Paid about 40 percent of new. This will be fun I'm a happy camper. My grandfather used to say - even a blind pig finds an acorn every once in a while. :-)

-Ed-
Congrats. That's an excellent choice and sounds like you got a killer bargain on it to boot! Enjoy

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars