The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-26-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
The Sunburst gear has smaller speakers and only 30 watts. Another Elite Acoustics box was about the same price, but physically larger.
Since they’re both ported 2-way systems, the difference btwn the Sunbursts 30w and the Boses 40w could easily be made up by system efficiency. In any event, it’s probably barely noticeable. What was the max spl spec on the Sunburst? Do they publish it?
Old 01-26-2018, 09:32 PM

I can’t find SPL ratings on either the EAE or Sunburst Gear models.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:45 PM

I'll check them out.. I know one of the girls at the booth here at NAMM
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 01-27-2018, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
I'll check them out.. I know one of the girls at the booth here at NAMM
We wont ask any questions, but do what you must to get the info we need.

Really looking forward to the D6-8 vs S1 review.
Old 01-27-2018, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotValid View Post
We wont ask any questions, but do what you must to get the info we need.

Really looking forward to the D6-8 vs S1 review.

I expect the speaker/amplifier sound will be very close in spite of the S1’s significantly smaller size. The D6-8’s mixer is really excellent though. If Bose built a T1 mixer into an S1 speaker, they could have an incredibly small product that would be comparable to the EAE D6-8 in sound and functionality.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
I expect the speaker/amplifier sound will be very close in spite of the S1’s significantly smaller size. The D6-8’s mixer is really excellent though. If Bose built a T1 mixer into an S1 speaker, they could have an incredibly small product that would be comparable to the EAE D6-8 in sound and functionality.
That’s been my take from the start. The Bose is not competitive with the EAE on any standard except price, RMS output power and size. It’s around $250-300 over what it should be and that’s not nothing.
Old 01-27-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
That’s been my take from the start. The Bose is not competitive with the EAE on any standard except price, RMS output power and size. It’s around $250-300 over what it should be and that’s not nothing.
I agree, nothing seems to be compete with EAE in terms of price/quality. If they came out with a more powerful unit while maintaining the studio monitor sound quality they would have a larger market share. Right now they are very niche but that niche is what I am in. If they had a direct audio interface they would kill the live/record market and many Zoom products as well. Sorry for any spelling/grammer mistakes, small phone keyboard, a bit tipsy....
Old 01-27-2018, 12:03 PM

I’m working up a solo set since my duo partner has a new boyfriend and wants to gig less. Anyway, Over the past few days I’ve been practicing quite a bit with the D6-8 and it really sounds fantastic!
Old 01-27-2018, 08:29 PM

104 SPL I was told
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 01-27-2018, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
104 SPL I was told
That's a whole 1 db louder thab the Bose S1 Pro, so obviously it's a lot better... ;-)
Old 01-27-2018, 09:49 PM

There was no way to tell much how loud and how good it can sound... the location they have at NAMM is too close to crazy loud other stuff going on....
Old 01-28-2018, 12:00 AM

Quote:
That's a whole 1 db louder thab the Bose S1 Pro, so obviously it's a lot better... ;-)
Funny thing, how all owners of the 104db spl capable EAE say that it’s taxed to its limit often when playing out and 103db spl Bose owners report no such problems. I do believe we need to wait for a bit to have this odd S1 honeymoon end because it’s pretty obvious that it’s underpowered for a good percentage of even coffee house gigs.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
Funny thing, how all owners of the 104db spl capable EAE say that it’s taxed to its limit often when playing out and 103db spl Bose owners report no such problems. I do believe we need to wait for a bit to have this odd S1 honeymoon end because it’s pretty obvious that it’s underpowered for a good percentage of even coffee house gigs.
The EAE will probably sound better with its monitor speaker design. Maybe the Bose will throw differently.

My shop dealer said Monitor speakers are optimised to make the best acoustic image at 1m... but do not throw sound the same as PA speakers

I guess in the case of monitor speakers also called "near field" speakers you want the sound to attenuate the fastest possible so you don't get reflection from the walls of your studio room, whereas PA speakers are meant to throw the further possible.

Don't ask me how they do that: I have no idea.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 01-28-2018, 02:21 AM

Here is some quote from gearslutz forum
Quote:
When you design a crossover you set your design goal. In case of a nearfield monitor it is flat frequency response on axis at 1-2 meters. For a home hi-fi speaker it could be smooth averaged power response where you take multiple measurement on and off axis of each component and design a crossover starting with a weighted composite of the measurements.
Components (woofers, midranges, tweeters) have progressively narrower Dispersion characteristics with rising frequency. Where you crossover and how steep of a slope you use will have an effect on the final Dispersion characteristics. Width of the front baffle will have an effect on Dispersion as well. By playing with crossover curves you can introduce desirable polar patterns, where you for example around crossover frequency have a lobe pointing straight out at your ears and a deep null pointing toward the console.
You can design multiple crossovers for the same speaker, each measuring flat on axis, but sounding very different in the room. It's a fairly deep area of expertise and there are very cool software packages that aid in loudspeaker design.
JBL pro has a very good paper on design of crossovers and listening to loudspeakers.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/show...03&postcount=4

Quote:
I will say this again. A skilled loudspeaker designer can make very different sounding speakers out of the same components in the same cabinet, by tweaking the crossover design. Crossover frequency and slope(s) can make for a really different presentation. I said slopes (plural) because they don't have to be textbook symmetrical. Mixed order designs exist that for example that roll off the tweeter at 18dB/oct while the woofer rolls off at 12dB/oct. This will result in non symmetrical polar patterns that could have more energy in certain frequencies going toward the ceiling than toward the floor. Consumer market is all about sweet and "revealing" sounding speakers. Studio monitors are about accuracy (at least for the serious studio monitor manufacturers).
Yes, some consumer oriented manufacturers have a "monitor" line of speakers that are designed like studio monitors . But they still have other lines that go for the euphonics over accuracy.

Show me the crossover boards in those speakers and I will be happy to point out the differences for you.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/show...3&postcount=22
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 01-28-2018, 02:36 AM

From this website:
audiojudgement.com/speaker-lobing-polar-response/

Here is an illustration of the crossover design on the vertical pattern:

For another crossover design

I still agree with Dannyg1, I don't believe in miracle... Bose do advertise a redesigned crossover for the Bose S1 pro. I guess they tried to take the most from the 3 angled speakers and their interaction with the 6" woofer on the back. to throw a bit better than usual 2 way systems.

Certainly a different strategy from EAE who claim to follow the studio monitor (near field) approach
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification