The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-20-2019, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

Default JBL EON Compact Unboxing/Initial Review

Here you go!

Old 11-20-2019, 07:39 PM

Just finished watching it, thanks a lot for the hard work! Does it sound any better or worse than the Bose S1 so far in your opinion?
Old 11-20-2019, 07:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrome View Post
Just finished watching it, thanks a lot for the hard work! Does it sound any better or worse than the Bose S1 so far in your opinion?
Initial impressions are that it sounds better and of course it has more processing options.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:33 PM

Hi Aaron. I watched your review and subscribed. Very good info demo on the JBL. I have been thinking about getting the Bose s1 pro, but now I am not sure. The JBL eon one compact seems mighty tempting. I am curious about the horizontal sound dispersion of the JBL. When you do your comparison video, maybe you can compare both units with the speakers angled off side of you and compare what you hear. Thank you for being the guinea pig test subject for all of us acoustic nerds who are scared to lead the way.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

Great review! Very thorough and informative. I'm thinking of selling my Loudbox Mini and applying the funds to this. It seems like a pretty good unit from what I can tell.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
Great review! Very thorough and informative. I'm thinking of selling my Loudbox Mini and applying the funds to this. It seems like a pretty good unit from what I can tell.
I've been holding off to choose between this, a Loudbox Mini or QSC k8.2 for practice and maybe playing out. Difficult to choose!

Loudbox Mini - controls on the front, guitar sounds nice, seems 'small' when playing bluetooth. Haven't done vocals through one yet. Inexpensive.

JBL - addresses all my problems with the S1 (limited eq, hard to reach controls) Having to use an app could be a blessing and or a curse

QSC - overkill but absolute power and fidelity? probably need a mixer.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:46 PM

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for this great video! When you were using the K&K into channel 3, the gain-volume pot was set at +5dB ... when you were using the preamp into channel 1, it was set to -5dB. So it means that your preamp only added +10dB. Since the JBL app allows to go up to +26dB. Do you think, going into the Hi-Z channel 3 and maxing out the volume pot would enable the user to be loud enough?

For me the problem is the fixed gain.

On a proper mixer, you can tune the gain so that your just above clipping, in this case your volume pot needs to be around 0dB. Then your volume pot enable to fine tune the volume by attenuating between -80dB to 0dB.

In the JBL case, since the fixed gain is weak, the volume pot usable range should be in the very top of its “course” (french word). What I mean is the usable range of the JBL pot is between 5dB and +26dB. If one is able to clip in this range it means an external preamp is not needed.... however the pot is then only usable in the upper part of its range which makes fine tuning more difficult.

So do you think the JBL could hi-Z channel 3 input can be clipped when the gain/volume pot is pushed to 26dB?
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 11-20-2019, 09:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredmaster007 View Post
I've been holding off to choose between this, a Loudbox Mini or QSC k8.2 for practice and maybe playing out. Difficult to choose!

Loudbox Mini - controls on the front, guitar sounds nice, seems 'small' when playing bluetooth. Haven't done vocals through one yet. Inexpensive.

JBL - addresses all my problems with the S1 (limited eq, hard to reach controls) Having to use an app could be a blessing and or a curse

QSC - overkill but absolute power and fidelity? probably need a mixer.
It's a tough call. I'm actually thinking I may keep the Loudbox mini (charge) and buy the JBL too. Probably wouldn't get nearly enough for the Mini anyway.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:49 PM
Charter Member

Anyone heard if they plan to come out with a pack or bag for carrying this, similar to the Bose backpack? Even my Loudbox mini has a case/bag with a strap.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
Anyone heard if they plan to come out with a pack or bag for carrying this, similar to the Bose backpack? Even my Loudbox mini has a case/bag with a strap.
Yes it’s in the user guide but the Bose S1 bag looks better. I love that top compartment it has.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Hi Aaron,

Thanks for this great video! When you were using the K&K into channel 3, the gain-volume pot was set at +5dB ... when you were using the preamp into channel 1, it was set to -5dB. So it means that your preamp only added +10dB. Since the JBL app allows to go up to +26dB. Do you think, going into the Hi-Z channel 3 and maxing out the volume pot would enable the user to be loud enough?

For me the problem is the fixed gain.

On a proper mixer, you can tune the gain so that your just above clipping, in this case your volume pot needs to be around 0dB. Then your volume pot enable to fine tune the volume by attenuating between -80dB to 0dB.

In the JBL case, since the fixed gain is weak, the volume pot usable range should be in the very top of its “course” (french word). What I mean is the usable range of the JBL pot is between 5dB and +26dB. If one is able to clip in this range it means an external preamp is not needed.... however the pot is then only usable in the upper part of its range which makes fine tuning more difficult.

So do you think the JBL could hi-Z channel 3 input can be clipped when the gain/volume pot is pushed to 26dB?
Initial impressions are that channel 3 does not have enough gain. I don’t know why they did this. It sets the impedance but does not add gain. The best way around this is to use a wireless system into the mic setting but why didn’t they add more gain to the hi-z channel? It’s so good in every other way. It’s a shame.
Old 11-21-2019, 01:32 AM

If the mic setting is just gainy enough for K&K (which is pretty hot pickup), it might not be enough for a weak dynamic mic... Did you try a SM-58? Is it weak?
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 11-21-2019, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
Yes it’s in the user guide but the Bose S1 bag looks better. I love that top compartment it has.
The backpack in the guide doesn't look terribly impressive! Wonder if there are other options out there, maybe a small haversack or something

Last edited by necrome; 11-21-2019 at 02:02 AM.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
Initial impressions are that channel 3 does not have enough gain. I don’t know why they did this. It sets the impedance but does not add gain. The best way around this is to use a wireless system into the mic setting but why didn’t they add more gain to the hi-z channel? It’s so good in every other way. It’s a shame.
I'm clueless about electrical issues, but would using a 1/4-to-XLR adapter into a Mic channel solve the gain problem if one didn't go wireless?
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 11-21-2019, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
If the mic setting is just gainy enough for K&K (which is pretty hot pickup), it might not be enough for a weak dynamic mic... Did you try a SM-58? Is it weak?
This would concern me, too, as my SM58 into my SA220 requires a pretty high gain setting. And I just sold my Cloudliftermic preamp because wanted to reduce gear to haul.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification