The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-17-2019, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Here is the link to the Mackie SRM Flex - Similar price point, similar design. So many options (Potential Bose L1 Compact alternatives)

https://mackie.com/blog/all-srm-flex...lumn-pa-system
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 11-28-2019, 07:08 AM

Anybody has tried these yet?

I've had a RCF Evox Jmix8 at home for trial, it was very good but a bit bulky and heavy. I see this one is slightly smaller and lighter, and should punch in the same league. Less inputs though, and less EQ options.
Old 11-28-2019, 08:28 PM

I just played through one at a local music store. Hard to make a judgment because I picked up a guitar off the rack that had a Fishman UST.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 12-03-2019, 05:06 PM

Sold my Bose L1C to help fund one. Stay tuned for a review...
Old 12-06-2019, 12:26 AM

Default Frmr STAGEPAS 1k owner

I bought 2 of them on Yamaha’s reputation and took them both back, and I’ve already sold my l1 compact to make room. They were a mess. So much potential.
Old 12-06-2019, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
My biggest beef is that they make them larger and more powerful but still offer limited inputs. I don't care about 1/8th ins. They should come with 4 quarter/xlr inputs to accommodate a duo without having to add a mixer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by necrome View Post
It feels like the manufacturers are somewhat out of touch with what people are using these products for. Every one of them has mixing boards that are lacking.
Here I am to join the chorus. At least 4 real, usable channels with an aim at allowing a duo to play with no need for an external mixer.

My Bose L1 Model II did it, but I was tired of hauling it around. HK Nano 608i gives me all kinds of input and mixing power and I don't see why everyone else can't get on the bandwagon with upgrading the mixers.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 12-06-2019, 03:26 AM

Did you try the RCF Evox jmix8 to compare ?
Old 12-06-2019, 10:24 AM

Default Frmr STAGEPAS 1k owner, Current Jmix8 Owner

To expand on my comment earlier: I have many PA systems because I suffer from chronic GAS. I have had many PA systems and sold them. My current arsenal is to use the Evox JMix8/J8s in larger venues and dollar-for-dollar there's nothing better in the world. They're punchy, really loud, excellent dispersion, the final Bose L1 model 2 killer with around 3X the power. I love my L1 Model 2, but the JMix 8 fits easily on a cart (is far less awkward than the L1) and collectively weighs less than the components of the L1. The mixer is just okay--the interface really lacks professional polish. A lot of times I plug my Soundcraft UI-16 into it, but the mixer sounds good and it does the job it's supposed to do.

The problems with the Stagepas 1ks were many: the gain is setup for a "speaker with bad mic technique" (this response from a Yamaha engineer in response to my inquiry about why I can't get my mic to stop clipping). When you play BT audio you get a nice full range, but not with the mixer--there's no low end for some reason, which also was said by Yamaha to be a feature and not a bug. That'd be okay if it responded in full-range to external mixer input, but it doesn't--still a very flat, lifeless sound which sounded bass-cut and had a susprisingly low volume. I had my UI-16 absolutely dimed on all three gains (channel, system, output knobs), and I was sitting six feet in front of it and it wasn't loud at all. I actually bought two of them and was going to sell everything else but my Evoxs. In the end, I wound up taking them both back, thinking that this was the first Yamaha product that I really didn't like. If they sounded as good as they looked...
Old 12-06-2019, 01:14 PM

How did you patch your mixer in? If you ran into the line inputs it should have been fine. If you used the link input, it would sound anemic as you describe.

A You Tuber had the same problem and I suggested he use the line in and it solved his problem. He was using both and had the link setup wrong.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:22 PM

Default STAGEPAS 1k

I tried it a number of different ways, using different configurations. I know my way around. But in the manual it actually says the link input Is for an external mixer. I spent hours with it—as I’d already sold my compact, I really needed to make it work.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renuzittostars View Post
I tried it a number of different ways, using different configurations. I know my way around. But in the manual it actually says the link input Is for an external mixer. I spent hours with it—as I’d already sold my compact, I really needed to make it work.
I tried the link, and while I'm able to get usable gain levels, I do have a really hot signal leaving the mixer. Using the line input, it's fine. Plenty of gain. Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification