The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-27-2012, 12:15 PM

Default Taylor nylon string guitars?

I just noticed Taylor no longer classifies their nylon string guitars sepparately, but includes them as members of the other, standard guitar series. The "new" nylons do look different, has there been any significant change to the way the Taylor nylons are built, or is all consmetic?
Old 07-28-2012, 12:09 PM

Not sure about the new model designations but most of the Taylor Nylons I've seen seem to be way over priced.

Never use metronomes; they screw up my timing!
Old 07-30-2012, 08:20 AM

Yes. This year Taylor rolled the Nylons into the regular numbered series of guitars. They did, I think in the previous year or so before that included a separate--kind of an add-on--as a 200 series nylon string guitar that is very affordable. The construction is similar to previously introduced Nylons from Taylor. I own an NS32ce (Grand Concert-size, 12-frets clear of the body, Sapele b/s, spruce top) and the latest 214ce Nylon. The 214ce Nylon is a Grand Auditorium body, 14-frets clear of the body, rosewood laminate, with white binding, white fret marker dots. It is under $(USD)1,000. It sounds great, plays great, and a blast to play.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gostwriter View Post
Not sure about the new model designations but most of the Taylor Nylons I've seen seem to be way over priced.
So all Taylor guitars are overpriced? Or should nylon strings be priced lower than their steel-string counterpart?
Old 07-31-2012, 05:19 PM

Taylor nylon string guitars are best when plugged in...otherwise fairly weak tone (IMO) acoustically...and thus perhaps the overpriced comment.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:24 PM

Hey Tennjed - I don't think there have been any structural changes to the nylon series. They rolled them up in the standard acoustic series numbering scheme. I don't think there have been any bracing changes or anything like that.

Are you interested in getting one?
Old 07-31-2012, 06:32 PM

Cool

10-4 on rolled into the "regular" numbering system...with the addition of "N" tag on the end

Alvarez Yairi CY-127-CE
Alvarez Yairi CY-140-CE
Old 07-31-2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazzelectro View Post
Taylor nylon string guitars are best when plugged in...otherwise fairly weak tone (IMO) acoustically...and thus perhaps the overpriced comment.
I don't agree about the weak tone but of course it's all very subjective. I would say thst unplugged it's a tight sound (although my low E is a monster) that would not appeal to everyone. Plugged in, it outshines every guitar I've owned and as someone who plays live. 2-3 times a week, that's exactly what I was looking for
Old 08-03-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodi_55 View Post
I don't agree about the weak tone but of course it's all very subjective. I would say thst unplugged it's a tight sound (although my low E is a monster) that would not appeal to everyone. Plugged in, it outshines every guitar I've owned and as someone who plays live. 2-3 times a week, that's exactly what I was looking for
I guess I don't agree either...
I have had my NS32ce for a few days now and play it next to my Martin 000c16sgtne. While it lacks a little bottom end volume in comparison, it is still has a great acoustic voice. The neck is a little bit easier to play...just a little bit thinner up the neck.
The build quality is equal to the Martin, at the least.
The 12 fret Taylor feels a little smaller in my hands than my other guitar. I'm very happy with it. They are not overpriced.
LoPrinzi model A baritone uke
Kerry Bannister mahogany nui (big baritone) uke
Kerry Bannister mahogany baritone uke
Harmony baritone uke
Old 08-03-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hey Tennjed - I don't think there have been any structural changes to the nylon series. They rolled them up in the standard acoustic series numbering scheme. I don't think there have been any bracing changes or anything like that.

Are you interested in getting one?
I have been for several years now. The only models I have had an opportunity to play have been the 200 series model and one 700 series model. The 700 was, quite frankly, one of the most unimpressive sounding nylon string guitars I have played. As far as the 200 series guitars go, it is a struggle laying out a grand for one. They are pretty, and they do not sound bad, but...................

Now that Martin is coming out with that 000c, it makes the purchase of a 200 series Taylor that much harder.

BTW, thanks for the response.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:25 PM

"I don't agree about the weak tone but of course it's all very subjective."

How is it subjective at all? A Taylor nylon string has about 1/2 to 3/4 the volume of even an inexpensive classical guitar.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woa_horsey View Post
"I don't agree about the weak tone but of course it's all very subjective."

How is it subjective at all? A Taylor nylon string has about 1/2 to 3/4 the volume of even an inexpensive classical guitar.
Hmm..so low volume equals weak tone?
Old 08-04-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Not at all. I have heard concert classicals that were absolute CANNONS but tonally, they were not pleasant.

"Tone" is SO subjective, that said, put me in the camp that the Taylor Nylons are not that good, acoustically (I am speaking of the old NS series). I had a NS62 for a couple of years, and it was merely OK (my Parlor classical absolutely blew it away, tonally). I don't know about the new ones (are they braced differently than the old NS guitars?)

Another thing I'm curious about is the pickup being used in the new Taylor Nylons. My NS62 had a Fishman UST/Mic combo, the new ones have a Taylor system which I think is just an UST. Anyone have one of the new ones and how does it sound plugged in?

Jimmy
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor
Old 08-04-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
I'm assuming that's what the original poster was referring to, don't you think?

At any rate, the tone is no better than the volume in my opinion. Play a good Ramirez with that driving bass and then pick up a Taylor. There's simply no comparison. I view the Taylors as something along the lines of a bosa-nova guitar. They're good enough for South American dance music and some jazz, but I wouldn't play classical music on one. And there are much better choices to play South American dance music on for much less money too. Of course, if you just like the feel of the neck and you're satisified with the plugged-in sound, then it may serve you well. I've got a Taylor steel string, but the nylons aren't for me. I hear they may be coming out with a proper classical guitar before long though, and I'll certainly give those a try.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:47 PM

In fairness, Taylor was very upfront about the NS series NOT being classical guitars, they would not sound like them, etc.

That said, I was playing guitar with a friend the other day at the house (we were not plugged in, my Hippner has no pickup), he has a NS72 and I was playing my Hippner Torres, 10 minutes in, he made the comment that there was literally no comparison between the 2, the Hippner being a VERY good classical and the Taylor sounded just OK. The interesting thing is that once you get into the higher ranges of Taylor nylons, you can buy something like a Hippner.

Jimmy
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical