The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-08-2019, 05:08 PM

Default Preamp pedals and Pure Mini

I’ve heard a lot of good things about the K&K Pure Mini. Gonna be getting a new Martin (OM or smaller) and want to install one.

a) Thoughts on that particular pickup?
b) I hear you need a preamp. Recommendations?
c) I still wanna hear B but anyone know much about either the Boss AD-2 or the Nux Stageman? I honestly like the pedal format and the fact you can plug them in. They any good? They’re pretty affordable, too.

Thank you!
Old 12-08-2019, 05:25 PM

I have Martin dreads with K&Ks and I find the K&K XLR preamp works best. Have also used Headway and Redeye but like the K&K best.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:08 PM

Funny. I've bought so many wiz bang boxes over the years. And the kk pure xlr
Is one I will never sell.
Works great with any 1mgohm input impedance pickup. I also use
The grace design felix. But its spendy.
Worth every penny. But the pure xlr
Is a great backup. And what I bring to
Open mics. Kk pure mini requires something between it and a board.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinplarson View Post
I’ve heard a lot of good things about the K&K Pure Mini. Gonna be getting a new Martin (OM or smaller) and want to install one.

c) I still wanna hear B but anyone know much about either the Boss AD-2 or the Nux Stageman? I honestly like the pedal format and the fact you can plug them in. They any good? They’re pretty affordable, too.

Thank you!
Pure Minis often sound just fine using only the amp or PA, it depends on the input structure of what you're feeding.

The best way to minimize that interaction is to use something that matches impedance, which is what the preamp does. The Pure Mini will always sound better if you run it into something that doesn't load the output. Most preamps satisfy that requirement, as well as many other pedal-type devices. Combo amps may or may not have a high impedance input for plugging piezo pickups into, check the manual.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

I've used a number of preamps with the K&K Pure Mini - all with good results. The K&K Pure or Pure XLR Preamps are great. the Red-Eye is great too - just lacks eq. I'm currently using a K&K in one of my guitars and running it through a LR Baggs Para Acoustic DI, and it sounds fantastic.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:41 AM

If you are looking at products greater than $300, then a ToneDexter is an obvious solution.

If you are in the less than $100 range, it is hard to beat a Behringer ADI21.

Between $100 and $300 there are loads of options, none of which will match a ToneDexter, or accomplish much more than the ADI21, unless there are effects or a tuner you are also looking for.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 12-09-2019, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Thank you!
Hi KP

I have K&K Pure Mini installed in all 4 of my acoustics. Great all around pickup…which is why I have them. While K&K pure mini can sound OK (and I'd say just OK) plugged straight into a system, they sound noticeably better with external preamps.

I have some more-than-20-yr-old preamps (Raven PMB) which work great (my most frequently used), but are showing their age. I'm in the process of switching from dual source rigs, to just the K&K Pure Mini with a ToneDexter.

The ToneDexter would be a great choice for your rig…one of the best, but not cheap ($400). And it is a pedal format, with a boost feature, notch for feedback, and amazing blend of digital/analog signals. It samples your guitar via mic and creates a voice for the pickup to simulate the sound of your guitar when using a microphone.

After using K&K for over 15 years in all my guitars, and having run sound for people with about every pickup on the planet, the K&K are great, solid, and very guitar-like pickups. We always smile when running sound when we ask what they have installed when they respond K&K.

I always carry spare preamps for the stage which also act as a Direct Box for linking both stage amps and PA into the loop simultaneously.

I find the K&K preamps adequate, overpriced, minimal in adjustment and lacking features (phase shift, ground lift, etc). I really like the Fishman Platinum Pro (since you want pedal). But at $300 you are only $100 from the ToneDexter, which is pretty amazing in capability to reproduce a sound which is very authentic acoustic-through-a-mic-sound/tone without creating the problems playing a mic on stage brings to the party.

Have fun on your journey!! Congrats on the new guitar!!!!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-09-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
If you are looking at products greater than $300, then a ToneDexter is an obvious solution.

If you are in the less than $100 range, it is hard to beat a Behringer ADI21.

Between $100 and $300 there are loads of options, none of which will match a ToneDexter, or accomplish much more than the ADI21, unless there are effects or a tuner you are also looking for.
Excellent answer Jon!
Old 12-09-2019, 04:46 PM

K&K pure XLR is a great preamp. Volume/gain/treb/mid/bass eq and most importantly for me a PHASE switch. I run 1/4 to amp and XLR out to house.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:12 PM

This is really helpful. Thanks, folks!
Old 12-09-2019, 11:15 PM

Dumb question maybe but.. do most pickups go through the endpin hole? Like the mini? Just wondering if I ever switched pickups. Don’t want a big hole in my guitar.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Dumb question maybe but.. do most pickups go through the endpin hole? Like the mini? Just wondering if I ever switched pickups. Don’t want a big hole in my guitar.
Nothing to fear, that is the standard. Also, there is the NoJak if you want to go back to pure acoustic.

https://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and...ak_Endpin.html
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 12-10-2019, 07:06 AM
Charter Member

I have an LR Baggs gig-pro belt clip pre amp. And I described the sound as "glorious" in a recent review.

It has a host of controls, including phase shift, gain , volume, bass and treble.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 12-10-2019, 08:11 AM

A few months ago I bought the Nux Stageman and was pleasantly surprised at how well it works with my K&K pup.

I haven't had it long enough yet to put it through its rigors so no recommendations one way or the other. I do like it though and have put together a pedal board specifically for this guitar with the Nux Stageman being the main pedal.

I've used it at a few gigs without any issues.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 12-10-2019, 10:06 AM

Not sure if the OP has settled on anything yet. But a word about the
Tonedexter just to clarify for them.
The TD requires a decent mic originally
To create the wav (ir) to use
When playing thru it. If you can't beg borrow or rent a decent mic to do the initial setup. Then you spend 400 on the TD and 300 -400 on a decent mic..
Just want the OP to be aware..
But for that price your up into the grace
Design or helix rhelm and I would do that
Over tonedexter anyday..just so much more bang for your buck with a helix stomp or a alix preamp..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification