The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-15-2018, 09:25 AM

Default Refret = Bigger Frets

In the vid below at 1:30 or so, the tech says that a refret "would mean bigger frets." Is it the case that when you refret you have use larger frets?

And by "larger," does he mean taller? Wider? Something else? He says bigger frets (and related changes) would change the "feel", but that could occur if wider or taller frets were used, I imagine.

If wider, is it because taking out the old fret is destructive to the board such that the same size (size of the base) fret would be too loose, so you now need a wider fret to get the grip?

I'd always assumed a refret meant a straight swap for the original size fret wire, so any info appreciated.

EDIT: Whoops - here's the video:

Last edited by ChrisN; 11-15-2018 at 09:52 AM.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:37 AM

I'm assuming you're talking about the newest stew mac video (There's no video linked in your post fyi)

Newer frets are taller because they haven't been worn down or worked much. A straight swap for new fretwire will change the feel too because you're putting in frets that haven't been worn.

Keep in mind too, in most cases (unless it's written down somewhere) it's impossible to know what size the fretwire was originally by looking at the frets that are 30 years old. How many times has it been levelled? How worn down are they? impossible to know unless you have a record.

He basically is just getting at the fact that ANY time you refret a guitar with new fretwire regardless of how big/small/original it is you will change the feel of the guitar, it's just how it works.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:38 AM

I don't see a video so I can't comment on that but I had one of my guitars refretted. They used the same size as the originals but since I was refretting due to the old ones wearing down, the new ones were bigger, relatively speaking. It did change the feel, obviously.

Maybe that's what they mean?

Edit: Sniped by Will Kirk.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

When you refret (completely) you can choose almost any size or kind of fret wire you want. Any refret will (should) give you more fret height, but you can choose wider if thats your preference, or, if you have a guitar with jumbo frets you can choose to use standard frets instead. Its worth discussing with your tech when the time comes - but whether they want to order a bunch of odd fret wire just for your guitar is another question -
Old 11-15-2018, 10:51 AM

I appreciate the responses, my question is: do you necessarily have to use a wider fretwire for a refret?

The tech in the video says if it needs a refret, he will "need" to use "bigger" frets, but it's not clear if he intends "bigger" to refer to "wider" or "taller."
Old 11-15-2018, 11:09 AM

Sometimes, it is necessary to use fret wire with a wider /thicker tang to hold properly. The slots can become wider by pulling the frets. In that case, the frets need to be glued in, rather than letting friction of the slot hold the fret. That may be what he is referring to......

I believe that Stew-Mac sells a crimping tool to put a scalloped shape into the tang portion of fret wire. Haven't watched the video, BTW.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:14 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
I appreciate the responses, my question is: do you necessarily have to use a wider fretwire for a refret?

The tech in the video says if it needs a refret, he will "need" to use "bigger" frets, but it's not clear if he intends "bigger" to refer to "wider" or "taller."
In a word, NO.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
In a word, NO.
Then that seems to confirm the tech meant "taller," as he referenced that alongside "change the feel." Thanks
Old 11-15-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Sometimes, it is necessary to use fret wire with a wider /thicker tang to hold properly. The slots can become wider by pulling the frets. In that case, the frets need to be glued in, rather than letting friction of the slot hold the fret. That may be what he is referring to......

I believe that Stew-Mac sells a crimping tool to put a scalloped shape into the tang portion of fret wire. Haven't watched the video, BTW.
That makes sense. I'm thinking now that he meant "taller," not wider. A wider tang wouldn't affect "feel," as either a taller and/or wider fret would.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
I don't see a video so I can't comment on that but I had one of my guitars refretted. They used the same size as the originals but since I was refretting due to the old ones wearing down, the new ones were bigger, relatively speaking. It did change the feel, obviously.

Maybe that's what they mean?

Edit: Sniped by Will Kirk.
I think that's it. Thanks
Old 11-15-2018, 01:57 PM

One thing that bugs me is when people refer to "shorter" frets (not that they have done so on this thread).

Or "shorter" saddles, for that matter.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
One thing that bugs me is when people refer to "shorter" frets (not that they have done so on this thread).

Or "shorter" saddles, for that matter.
How would you prefer that people describe that? Just curious.
Old 11-15-2018, 04:42 PM

My pleasure , Charles.

1. Fret crowns can be wider or narrower than some given width

2 Fret crowns can also be taller or lower than some given height ( NB "height" .... not "heighth" ). What they cannot be is "shorter" than some given height.

3. Saddles, similarly can be "taller" or "lower" than some given height.
They can also be thicker or thinner than some given thickness .

4. "Width" of a saddle is synonymous with "length" and is properly applied to the longitudinal dimension. So for example, ".Martin through saddles are invariably "wider " (or "longer" ) than drop- in saddles". Conversely, drop-in saddles are "shorter" than through saddles.

I trust this clarifies matters.
Old 11-15-2018, 05:16 PM

>> Fret crowns can also be taller or lower than ...

Murray,

Here in the US, we generally pair higher with lower, or taller with shorter. There may be exceptions, but I can't think of any.
Gibson ES-175 (1981)
Gibson ES-165 (1992)
Yamaha AEX-1500 (1996)
D'Angelico EXL-1DP (2005)
Peerless New York (2007)
Epiphone Elitist Byrdland (2008)
Old 11-15-2018, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
In the vid below at 1:30 or so, the tech says that a refret "would mean bigger frets." Is it the case that when you refret you have use larger frets?
If a fret slot is damaged during the fret removal on multiple fret locations, we typically fit a wider fret in to cover said damage

If a fret board is levelled we typically recut the fret slots, so a fret tang of a different height and or width may also be utilised

If a fret being changed is worn - typically it will feel taller with a new fret fitted, sometimes a tech will not have the exact same fret that was utilised during the manufacture, so a taller or shorter crown may be utilised

If a fret being changed is of a different material, it can add or subtract some stiffness in the neck.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair