The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-18-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
I don’t think this will work. You could make a MAP without the plug and then use the plug live though (I never like those things).
It works beautifully.

Adding a soundhole plug to the guitar playing via a wavemap created without the plug is not like adding a soundhole plug to the unamplified guitar. And that's a problem, at least for me. There is a response difference and "wrong" liveliness.
Old 11-18-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
It works beautifully.

Adding a soundhole plug to the guitar playing via a wavemap created without the plug is not like adding a soundhole plug to the unamplified guitar. And that's a problem, at least for me. There is a response difference and "wrong" liveliness.
That's very interesting. I wouldn't think that you would get a true representation of the guitar by recording with the soundhole plug still in the sound hole. I would have assumed that the wavemap would be thin sounding. I stopped using those plugs long ago but this is interesting.
Old 11-18-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
That's very interesting. I wouldn't think that you would get a true representation of the guitar by recording with the soundhole plug still in the sound hole. I would have assumed that the wavemap would be thin sounding. I stopped using those plugs long ago but this is interesting.
It's the disconnection created by the "incorrect" wavemap that is disconcerting.

What I've found is that the Tonedexter is amazingly accurate. This accuracy is wonderful and it's undoing. At medium and medium-low stage volumes, where I can hear the guitar itself and it's reaction, yet hear a different (and feel) a different thing through the monitors makes the Tonedexter "less".

Training with the plug installed smooths that over.

I recognize that this aspect of the Tonedexter is pretty subtle. But that's the problem with hyper-accurate audio gear, right?
Old 11-19-2018, 05:58 AM

That makes sense. If you were making your wave map without the plug and then played WITH the plug, the TD would be over-correcting your guitar.
AND, BW here has the benefit of actually making the wave map that way and using it live.
Can't argue with experience!
Great tip- thanks!

Just another aside - my TD tone sounds excellent with the BOSE S1.
Old 11-25-2018, 09:38 PM

I have an autoharp with a cheap, and cheap sounding, piezo contact mic attached to the back with double-stick foam tape. I just created a wave map for it, and surprise! It sounds like a mic'd autoharp! I centered the pickup on the back and, playing Appalachian style (the autoharp cradled in my left arm in front of my chest) I pointed the mic above my picking hand which is above the chord bars.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 11-27-2018, 10:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcopper View Post
That makes sense. If you were making your wave map without the plug and then played WITH the plug, the TD would be over-correcting your guitar.
AND, BW here has the benefit of actually making the wave map that way and using it live.
Can't argue with experience!
Great tip- thanks!

Just another aside - my TD tone sounds excellent with the BOSE S1.
Except I don't like the guitar acoustically with a rubber plug in the soundhole. If I'm playing in a heavy monitor situation I put the rubber plug in and run my TD program made without the plug. Works fine for me.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:48 AM

Interesting - again it is hard to argue with someone’s experience. What is your amplification source? PA or amp or powered cab?
Old 05-09-2019, 02:04 PM

Default Why not more Tonedexter content

Interesting Tonedexter review from Sweetwater with audio samples of three-piece band all going through the TD.
From 5:40 to 5:56 of the video, they switch between Tonedexterized instruments and a direct signal and the band sounds like it's been professionally mixed as opposed to listening to raw tracks.

Old 05-09-2019, 02:14 PM

Good for Audio Sprockets to get the ToneDexter into Sweetwater!

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 05-09-2019, 02:40 PM

I started this thread before my TD purchase. Even without an expensive mic and using an SM57, my tone is dramatically better with the TD. The only feature I am not as crazy about is the tuner, but I can live with it.

Thanks for reviving this and the video from Sweetwater.
Congrats to Audio Sprockets.
Old 05-09-2019, 05:15 PM

Quote:
The only feature I am not as crazy about is the tuner, but I can live with it.
I've never actually tried the tuner, since I use one clamped to my head stock.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 05-09-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Even without an expensive mic and using an SM57, my tone is dramatically better with the TD. The only feature I am not as crazy about is the tuner, but I can live with it.
Nicely timed, folks. I spent the day TDing a guitar I've just fitted a new UST to (Crafter dread and a Fishman Matrix infinity).

The P/U is pretty good but a bit "pingy" in this setup. the tone control is more use than I thought it would be.

I tend to play fairly loud so was keen to see how hard I could push before feedback kicks in, I normally use a soundhole plug on a Tak ef360s.

I made some wavemaps with an Audix sdc, a Shure sm57 and a Senn e935, mainly because they were what I had to hand. All are very different but all are quite useful once an acceptable mic/position can be found. I made the W/Ms with the plug out and played with it in and out, I didn't think to use the plug when TDing.

There is only a minor difference in tone between in/out when amped but I found the feedback threshold to be significantly improved between in/out when using the TD compared to my previous setup, a Yamaha ag stomp. Looks like the wavemap produces more pronounced peaks in the sound as part of the more organic, less linear response, hence greater susceptibility to feedback. I think the SHP made enough improvement to make the system viable on a loud stage, will know for sure this weekend.

I'm currently running the TD with the Yamaha in the FX loop. Great combo.

I find the tuner very useable, it did take a little getting used to but my clip on died a while back and I was obliged to make the step - no problem.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:03 PM

+1 what those Sweetwater guys said...
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 05-10-2019, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsum View Post
Interesting Tonedexter review from Sweetwater with audio samples of three-piece band all going through the TD.
From 5:40 to 5:56 of the video, they switch between Tonedexterized instruments and a direct signal and the band sounds like it's been professionally mixed as opposed to listening to raw tracks.

It's interesting that they would use the M1 pickup for this demo. I feel it would have been more helpful to hear the change from a standard UST to the Tondexter wavemap.

I find the TD to be interesting in that yes it makes a far more natural tone but at the same time, as soon as they switched from the pickup to the wavemap, the tone lost attack, became a bit hollow/bass heavy and the instruments did not sound as "in your face" as you would want at a live show. Not knocking it at all as I have it and really like it. I have just been saying for a while that too much blend is often not that desirable. I even like a 50/50 blend. I think it depends on if you play solo or in a band though.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsum View Post

Wow. They are using an LR Baggs M1 pickup. I thought Tonedexter says it's not supposed to work with magnetic pickups.

What's up? ? ?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification