The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-08-2017, 10:04 AM

Default TC Helicon Perform-VG

Interesting new box from the same folks that gave us the Play Acoustic.

Old 08-09-2017, 02:03 AM

That simplifies things. I have a Play Acoustic which does all this and then some. However, I have tried to use a switch 3 to turn on/off guitar effects like reverb and chorus, but there is no light on the switch 3 to say on/off on the unit's screen. I am assuming these surface lights on this Perform VG tell whether the effect is on or off?

I also like the guitar 1/4" out. I am hoping it has a pass through to maybe avoid some of the Bodyrez processing since not all my pickups require it.

I can't seem to find a manual online. This must have just come out.

Hey, thanks for posting it.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:25 PM

I am a great believer in TC Electronics and have used many of their products and still do. I have the Play Acoustic and have gigged with it after spending way too many hours trying to figure it all out and how to make it usable on stage. Then I decided to try the Boss VE-8 for the same purpose. Besides being much much more user friendly and easier to figure out there is one other difference that is significant to me and this new product makes me wonder if TC has fixed this problem. All of the TC products that provide harmony by plugging in the vocal and guitar have a slight delay from the time the guitar and vocal hit the hardware until the harmonized vocals come out through the PA or amp. Its made worse by finger picking since all the strings may not be picked at first. Its not a lot of gap but definitely noticeable to me and most others I have demo'd this for. The Boss VE-8 does not have that delay and it makes for a much better harmony vocal sound, in my opinion. On top of that my guitar tone is studio quality after much dialing in with all the behind the scenes tweeks on can make on the VE-8.
I am not endorsing one or the other and am not affiliated with one or the other. Both make great products we all use and love. Just wanted to mention for those interested this one difference that possible TC has corrected in this new product....at least the video seems to show a tighter harmony response to the melody than their other harmonizers.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 08-24-2017, 06:40 AM

Very nice unit at $199 price point.... Looks like late fall 2017 arrival according to some sites.

It's an Upgrade from the older Harmony GXT that I used for years ... But with the addition of the guitar effects and easier control over everything. Especially with the mic stand holder built-in... Just right for stage use.

I also see it has the Guitar Thru output on back (which the play acoustic does not). This allows to use the Guitar's input which is needed for vocals.. but can output the guitar signal separate to amp, mixer etc with no effects.

I think this will be a winner for a lot of folks. Simple, TC's great sound and with additional Foot Switch.. Very Gig ready.

We'll see in a little while when they hit the streets.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:58 PM

These are starting to hit the street..
I'm thinking of ordering.

Anyone here try yet? Any comments?
Old 09-13-2017, 08:55 PM

I actually like the idea because I'm not a fan of pedals. I like the idea of having the unit on a mic stand. However, I think you still need the foot switch for some of the features. Also, I don't think this unit includes the looper, if you need one.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:03 PM

Don't mean to rain on the parade but sounds incredibly piezo quacky to me. Could be just the way the guy has it set up, but still ...
Old 09-14-2017, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I actually like the idea because I'm not a fan of pedals. I like the idea of having the unit on a mic stand. However, I think you still need the foot switch for some of the features. Also, I don't think this unit includes the looper, if you need one.
Yes... I am interested in the VG for it's simplicity. Plus, I am hoping the vocals sounds as good as the VLP and other TC units. I have the Boss VE-8 and it's very versatile and guitar sound is awesome.. But after a month of using it.. I am not hugely satisfied with dialing in vocals and harmonies. It just sounds more "digital" (un-natural) to me. I remember the VLP ( I had briefly) sounded smoother.

Lastly, I'm a more plug and play guy... Especially when performing. I don't do a lot of "tap" dancing (through effects) and currently don't use a looper live. I tend to set things up and sing/play. But I like using Harmony on certain songs. So I think I'd need the Switch 3 at least... To turn on off the different Harmonies. That may be a simple and useful add on.

Again, I just need something to "enhance" my guitar and vocals.. Because my Maui5 PA doesn't have any effects. So this may just be just what I need.

SoooOo, I am thinking of grabbing a VG to test and still keep the VE8 to compare. Or Maybe use them together? ... Oh Well, that last idea throws the idea of simple out the window. But then again, I admit that I am a gear addict at times!
Old 09-14-2017, 07:44 AM

I guess the challenge I would have is that if I understand it correctly, if you want to run two independent channels, the guitar channel will need to be on the non-effects "THRU" output and that if you want guitar effects, both guitar and vocals are combined on the mic channel. Is that correct? The sound board guys in my situation would not go for that. They want individual control of everything at the board. The Play Acoustic provides two individual effected channels.

Hmm..

Last edited by Joe F; 09-14-2017 at 07:50 AM.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe F View Post
I guess the challenge I would have is that if I understand it correctly, if you want to run two independent channels, the guitar channel will need to be on the non-effects "THRU" output and that if you want guitar effects, everything is combined on the mic channel. Is that correct? The sound board guys in my situation would not go for that. They want individual control of everything at the board. The Play Acoustic provides two individual effected channels.

Hmm..
Yes Joe, That is correct. Similar to my old Harmony G-XT.

Interestingly, the Thru output is what's 'missing' for me on the Play Acoustic! I like being able to have option to utilize my other effects, or separate amp etc...

It seems this product's main aim is for the solo acoustic "grab and go" performer.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:25 AM

Default TC Helicon Perform-VG

Looking at the back of the unit, it appears that this was designed for smaller amplification setups. Whereas the Play Acoustic pedal is designed with 2 DIs, this uses one DI and a 1/4" guitar output, plus a "dry" thru. So, my assumption is that this product is designed to be plug and play with a conventional 2 channel acoustic amp, and the Play Acoustic is meant to be used with a mixer or powered speaker.

Last edited by martingitdave; 09-14-2017 at 09:27 AM.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
So, my assumption is that this product is designed to be plug and play with a conventional 2 channel acoustic amp, and the Play Acoustic is meant to be used with a mixer or powered speaker.
Agreed PnP all the way.. But not limited to an acoustic amp. I see no reason why this couldn't be used with mixer and/or powered speaker. Only as you mentioned, both the guitar and vocal signal will be togehter into 1 XLR output.
(in this case .. no need for 'thru')

It does have independent effects for both guitar and mic...

In addition, there is a MIX button and the big Knob works as a volume control for the mix for Guitar and/or Mic.. So you can take care of volume out and mix from the mic stand. Which is handy.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggg View Post
Don't mean to rain on the parade but sounds incredibly piezo quacky to me. Could be just the way the guy has it set up, but still ...
Yeah, even accounting for the cheap laptop computer speakers I heard that through, I thought the guitar sounded atrocious.

I agree with martingitdave's interest in having controls up on a mic stand when possible.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:23 AM

I confirmed with TC Helicon that the bod rez effect has controls like the pedal. For whatever reason, they used a poor pickup and settings in their demo video.

On of the criticisms of the Play Acoustic pedal was the lack of 1/4" output for acoustic amps. My suspicion is that the lower price point and simpler interface are targeted towards people who might otherwise plug into an acoustic amp. In theory, you could also take the 1/4" to the house, or send the mix via the one DI. My experience with the single DI was not so good. When working with a soundperson, I find that they need the signals separate so they can sub mix the auxes. So, if you regularly DI out the the house, the pedal is probably a better choice.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
I confirmed with TC Helicon that the bod rez effect has controls like the pedal. For whatever reason, they used a poor pickup and settings in their demo video.

On of the criticisms of the Play Acoustic pedal was the lack of 1/4" output for acoustic amps. My suspicion is that the lower price point and simpler interface are targeted towards people who might otherwise plug into an acoustic amp. In theory, you could also take the 1/4" to the house, or send the mix via the one DI. My experience with the single DI was not so good. When working with a soundperson, I find that they need the signals separate so they can sub mix the auxes. So, if you regularly DI out the the house, the pedal is probably a better choice.
So this has the same version Body Rez functions as the Play Pedal? That's cool..

This does look like a neat product for the base needs of a solo Singer Guitarists...Set up and go. So the 1 XLR output will be fine... But as Dave said the Thru is a welcome feature.

Although, I like the TC Play and the VE8 for the robust feature sets... They are more complicated and I don't need Looper. Plus I like the mic stand set up too. This VG with a Switch 3 or 6 would be great.

Hmm... I may have to get one and try!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification