The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-11-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHJim View Post
I will often play Western Swing tunes with all closed chords. Thay're not all barre chords, but there are no open strings. ...
I think that this is an extremely useful distinction. By all means, practice barre chords. But at some point, you might want to explore closed chords. Fewer notes can provide more interesting voicings and progressions between chords.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJJax View Post
I think that this is an extremely useful distinction. By all means, practice barre chords. But at some point, you might want to explore closed chords. Fewer notes can provide more interesting voicings and progressions between chords.
Some of the tougher barre chords can be easily played as closed chords with five or six strings if you're willing to use your thumb for the bass strings. Rev. Davis often played the G, C, and D shapes with his thumb on the bass; he also used the thumb for the E and A shapes, freeing up extra fingers to play melody notes on the treble strings. Pretty cool stuff.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
IBG Epiphone J-200 Aged Antique
Old 04-29-2018, 12:02 AM

I have played with a fellow who plays a D7 as 554535. He puts his pinky on the 1st string, index on the 2nd, ring on the 3rd, bird on the 4th and plays the 5th and 6th with his thumb. I can make this chord but not in the context of a song and I'd rather stick to X5453X. Often I'll alternate between that and 5X453X if I'm playing bass notes.
Old 04-29-2018, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHJim View Post
I have played with a fellow who plays a D7 as 554535. He puts his pinky on the 1st string, index on the 2nd, ring on the 3rd, bird on the 4th and plays the 5th and 6th with his thumb. I can make this chord but not in the context of a song and I'd rather stick to X5453X. Often I'll alternate between that and 5X453X if I'm playing bass notes.
Holy thread resurrection Batman.

Only 8 years old.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 04-29-2018, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
Holy thread resurrection Batman.

Only 8 years old.
You think nobody is playing barre chords any more?
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 04-29-2018, 04:09 AM

Default All Barre Chords All The Time

I think using barre (and closed) chords develops naturally as your skills and repertoire improve. As you get more comfortable with them I feel like you use them more and more either because you prefer a particular voicing for a song, or because you are combining with a fill or solo down the fretboard—at least that’s what I’m finding.
So I would say there’s no need to move your practice to 100% barre chords. Just as long as your not avoiding them I think they’ll come along pretty naturally for most people (?)
Old 04-29-2018, 05:40 AM

Played in a band for a bit where our lead vocalist lived in B and Bb. I developed the hand conditioning to play several songs consecutively that were mainly barre chords.

It was very good training at the time.

Having a broad vocabulary of barre chords certainly helps to round out your skills as a player.

Another option is studying the CAGED approach. It is useful. A quick google search can get you started.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:14 AM

I'm sure he's not the only one to do it but the guitar player in the 1990's pop band 10,000 Maniacs tuned his guitars to an open minor chord. He played a barre with his index and dropped his middle finger down to hit the major 3rd. Can't say it didn't work in the context of the songs they played.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:10 AM
Charter Member

Just to build strength I started playing Lay Lady Lay a few times every day which has really helped.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:12 AM

As a "reformed" electric player, barre' chords have been a part of me for fifty years. The AGF seems to be dominated by finger style guys and other types...At least those who post most often.
For me at least, there are a lot of songs in my repertoire that require Barre chords for arpeggios. They are also useful for working from for fills and solos in our duet.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 04-29-2018, 07:44 AM

My method of learning barre chords is really the best: start young on a crappy guitar with strings 1 inch from the fretboard.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Smith View Post
Some of the tougher barre chords can be easily played as closed chords with five or six strings if you're willing to use your thumb for the bass strings. Rev. Davis often played the G, C, and D shapes with his thumb on the bass; he also used the thumb for the E and A shapes, freeing up extra fingers to play melody notes on the treble strings. Pretty cool stuff.
Quite willing but completely unable to. Sucks to have small hands and combined with an old injury that keeps me from flexing the joint on my thumb fully means I simply can't do that. Really sucks, but it is what it is.
Old 04-29-2018, 08:13 AM

I don't remember how I did it as it was 50 years ago, but you are correct, sir. The only way to get good at something is to do it a lot. If you don't have a pressing need to be proficient in the next three weeks I wouldn't drive myself crazy. Do a bunch, play something you enjoy, do another bunch, etc.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 04-29-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
As a "reformed" electric player, barre' chords have been a part of me for fifty years. The AGF seems to be dominated by finger style guys and other types...At least those who post most often.
For me at least, there are a lot of songs in my repertoire that require Barre chords for arpeggios. They are also useful for working from for fills and solos in our duet.
Same here; I learned most chords about the same time (also the 50 year mark), but I almost always use barre chords (certainly more) when playing electric, for both basic rhythm and rhythm/lead playing. On acoustic guitar, I use them significantly less; I love the sound of open strings on an acoustic and mostly only use barre chords for different voicings, or when more practical (an F#, say).

Honestly, I can't imagine not using barre chords when I need them, so, yeah - the OP should definitely get comfortable with them. That said, no need to sabotage your playing substituting all chords with barre chords - it would probably be more useful to practice alternating them, when needed - say, going from first position Am to Bm, barred, then back to first position, or over to F#m, etc.
Old 04-29-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwayne View Post
My method of learning barre chords is really the best: start young on a crappy guitar with strings 1 inch from the fretboard.
This was also the way I learned. I simply plowed through them. Of course needing the Vulcan Death Grip to play a poor quality guitar later caused tendonitis but hey, it was the price we paid!

However, like many here have said, once I learned about setups and had one done, things were suddenly a whole lot easier!

And let's not forget the adage, "Practice makes PERMANENT. PERFECT practice makes perfect!" Well, that's what my HS coach always told us.

Best,
PJ

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write