The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 10-26-2008, 10:45 AM

Default Bands were rude and conceited?

Last night I had friends play at a show at a local bar, this was a 4 band show. Each got to play a set. My friends band was up first, they played well, in my opinion they should have went last (what I would consider a Headline position). The band that went second, was sort of a Tool sounding band. They were good with good vocals. The band that went third was an awful sounding mash of sh*t. Kinda bad version of surf punk, The guitar player started the set with only 5 strings on his gtar and occasionally had to kick his amp to keep it working. The last band to play I also had a friend who was a member. They also played a good show. The friends that played in both bands, as well as I, made a point to stay and watch all the bands that played, and give a pat on the back to all of the performers that were there. I feel that is the right thing to do, this was a small/low paying venue (gas money and beer), the bands needed all the support they could, to keep the bar owner happy. band 2 stayed for half of band 3's set, and band 3 left right after their set. Am I being silly or Is this wrong?
Old 10-26-2008, 11:07 AM

I'm going to go with you're being silly,..............
Old 10-26-2008, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Stringer View Post
. . . The band that went third was an awful sounding mash of sh*t. Kinda bad version of surf punk, The guitar player started the set with only 5 strings on his gtar and occasionally had to kick his amp to keep it working. . .
Well, what do you expect from surfpunks, musical or otherwise?
They *had* to split to uphold their image of ennui
Old 10-26-2008, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlouie View Post
I'm going to go with you're being silly,..............
I'll go with that's wrong.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLDavid View Post
Well, what do you expect from surfpunks, musical or otherwise?
They *had* to split to uphold their image of ennui
true, very true
Old 10-26-2008, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Stringer View Post
Am I being silly or Is this wrong?
Another vote for being silly. I play a gig, get paid, and get outta Dodge. Unless the beer is exceptionally good, or the music exceptionally hot.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
Another vote for being silly. I play a gig, get paid, and get outta Dodge. Unless the beer is exceptionally good, or the music exceptionally hot.
Same here. On the other hand, at an open mic, I'll usually try and stay till the end or at least watch a few performers before I leave.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:35 PM

Most of the time I have to get to my day job by 6:00am so as soon as I get can get out to get to sleep I am gone! Not to mention I am not a huge fan of the bar scence. However if the music is good and the people in the bands are levelheaded I will hang for a song or two.

Too many to list & changes to fast to maintain.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:01 PM

Just a thought, I remember reading that Stevie Ray Vaughan's band would play at a venue, then hop in their veh and drive like mad to get to another venue to do another gig, so they may have done two to three gigs in one night. Not saying this is what happened, but it is a possibility to consider. They may have had a party to play or a rehearsal space that had to be used during a certain time period. There are lots of reasons to leave other than being rude. Most bands I've seen do hang around, have a beer or two, and BS, but some have other things to do.

Just something to consider.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:52 AM

I think this could have gone eitherway. They may have genuinely had somewhere else to be, for what ever reason, or they may have been rude and just not wanted to hang around and support the other band. You can't make people stay.

It could be likened to an open mic night. If you were first up, do you stay and support everyone else, or do you go? IMHO, if you stay and support other people, they will do the same for you when you play later in the night the next time.

I was at a jazz jam last night and went along to support my friend who was playing bass in the house trio. Not all the music or singing was to my taste but I stayed to the end to support my friend and also the other performers. One day I may pluck up the courage to perform myself (I am not a jazz player) and would like to think that others would stay to support me. The upshot was that I was glad I stayed, as one of the last performers was a wonderful soprano sax player.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:47 AM

I think it is good etiquette to stay for other bands' sets, but not required, and I wouldn't be offended if some bands didn't. When I play out, I try to stay at least for a while, but sometimes there are several bands, and how long can I be expected to hang out for?

For example, I'm playing in a 12-band showcase next month that goes from noon until 1am. Do I have to be there to watch the whole thing?
Old 10-27-2008, 09:46 AM

I would say if it is an open mic it is rude to leave before the show is over. You got your time now reciprocate and be a good audience..

If these are PAID bands they can leave when they are done. It is work and nothing more.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kak1154 View Post
. . . For example, I'm playing in a 12-band showcase next month that goes from noon until 1am. Do I have to be there to watch the whole thing?
Absolutely!
Old 10-27-2008, 06:34 PM
Charter Member

I think you showed tact and respect to the other bands by sticking around for their sets, but I wouldn't expect such behavior in return, unfortunately. Sadly, many folks out there are so self-centered that they are nearly thoughtless about these sort of courtesies. They probably wouldn't even get it if you explained it to them...
Old 10-27-2008, 06:50 PM

when i used to gig, i loved playing first, start the energy out right, and then get a beer and sit back and enjoy the show. big fan of bands perfoming, unless they were horrible or obnoxious. i dont dig mean music. but since we were a grunge type rock band playing originals, usually they'd group us with two other kind of similar acts. so it was always fun to stay after and watch the other other acts rock. them were some fun times.

i find at church now, i love all the praise and worship teams. lat night i had the chance to hear the youth band play. like a born again velvet underground. i was totally blown away. awesome!

'71 Guild D25
'83 Guild D35
'98 Guild F30r

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell