The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 12-15-2004, 10:57 PM

Default Websites

Hi,

I am looking for good websites that will show the proper chords to play for songs,

I have looked at Harmony-central but they are just chords that have been sent in by players, is there any sites that have the true chord changes?

thanks
Old 12-15-2004, 11:59 PM

Buy the book, or use your ears!
Old 12-16-2004, 12:28 AM

Its not just for one band so havent got the money to buy a book for each group

Im only learning to play the guitar so cant really use my ears
Old 12-16-2004, 12:45 AM

The problem is that books are really the only way to get accurate transcriptions of songs. The reason the databases such as Harmony-Central are free is for the very reason why all of their content is user submitted. There is a website at www.sheetmusicdirect.com that allows you to print out songs for a cost of around 1 to 4 dollars each right from your computer - great if you don't feel like purchasing nine other songs just to get the music for the one you want to play. I've used this site several times. A lot better than the sites like HC since the sheet music sold are official transcriptions.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:11 PM

First, what type of music? Jazz? Also, do you like the "Fakebook" format?

I ran into a site with a lot of high quality jazz transcriptions with nice chord progressions that some dude posts on his site. The address is at home, but if interest in jazz I will shoot the address to you.

Hamer Korina Artist
Hamer Daytona
Martin 000-28EC
Cordoba 1a Flamenco
Fender American Vintage Tele 52 RI

DIY Home
Old 12-16-2004, 12:41 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Trying to decipher what you are looking for here.
Am I correct that you are just starting to learn to play the guitar, are sitting in with some other folks ("bands") who are trying to play specific songs, and you are looking for the "chords" that make up the songs you are trying to play?
As much as I agree with playing with other people as a way of improving your playing, it kind of sounds, if you are just starting out, like you are attempting the equivalent of learning how to swim and working as a life guard.

If you REALLY are serious about learning how to play the guitar AND playing in a band at the same time (I assume they are also starting out?) the best thing to do is to actually get the sheet music for what you are trying to play. You can just make copies of it for the other players, or write down the chord changes for others to follow.
NOw if those folks are playing those songs in different keys, you are shafted re; the specific chords, but not the chord progressions (as long as you know what the I, IV, V, 7th chords, etc. chords are in those keys.) You don't need a book to figure those out, just simple knowledge of how chords are numbered in each different key and how to finger them, ie a little bit of basic guitar theory. For a great series of books on guitar theory I suggest "The Skeptical Guitarist" series. Easy to follow, well written, funny. One of the books is on Jazz and Blues theory-I would not start there if this is all new to you, but with the first book and work your way up.

http://www.skepticalguitarist.com/

If you REALLY want to advance your playing, take some lessons form a GOOD instructor (almost impossible to find) and/or get some learning material from the multitude of books/CD/DVD/Video lessons available. Just strumming I/IV/V combinations all day long gets boring REALLY fast.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,

Last edited by Jeff M; 12-16-2004 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12-16-2004, 01:35 PM

Hi

sorry for the vague question

I am into bands like Oasis, Neil Young, Beatles, Bob Dylan.

The reason I want to learn guitar is for me to sit down with my guitar and basically work through a book of songs, I bought a "Big acoustic song book" and showed it to my tutor who told me that the books chords were taking from a Piano.

So I dont really want to spend another 30 euros on another book.
Old 12-16-2004, 02:49 PM

If you buy a piano/guitar book combo, which sounds like what you did, it will almost always just have the chords from the piano notation, which sucks to say the least. If you buy a guitar book, make sure it doesn't include a piano arrangement.
Old 12-16-2004, 02:50 PM

If you are just looking for chords:
http://chordfind.com/

If you are looking for decent Tab sites:
http://www.fretplay.com/
http://www.all-good-tabs.com/guitar-tabs.html
http://www.guitaretab.com/
http://www.olga.net/

If you are looking for good acoustic songs to learn:
http://www.letme.connectfree.co.uk/Acousticranked.htm
Old 12-16-2004, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzinthebox
If you buy a piano/guitar book combo, which sounds like what you did, it will almost always just have the chords from the piano notation, which sucks to say the least. If you buy a guitar book, make sure it doesn't include a piano arrangement.
Yeah thats what my tutor said. Its just a con. I know how to play Oasis - Wonderwall and when I looked in the book at that song, there were so many chord changes it was unbeliveable, near enough impossible to get the song to sound like it should do.

Do you know if Band ever release guitar chord books for their albums as ive seen in HMV and Amazon that bands like Oasis, Paul Weller and The Beatles have books with guitar chords for their albums, just wondering if they would be piano based or would they be guitar only based
Old 12-16-2004, 03:19 PM

Just try to find books that say they include guitar tablature. These certainly will be the actual transcriptions of the music without a piano arrangement.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell