The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-16-2018, 10:11 AM

Default Is a single mic the only thing going on here?

Am I missing something, or are they all just in a room with a single mic?

https://youtu.be/x668-BgXDMM

Really a sweet sound the Machine had going back then, would love to replicate the very simple setup (depending of course on venue).

Thoughts?
Old 11-16-2018, 10:28 AM

looks like a single Shure SM57... which is pretty astounding if they're getting that sound - you'd expect a more traditional bluegrass LDC style setup.

I know when Gillian Welch and Dave Rawling play as 'Gillian Welch' they mic their guitars with SM57s and I read somewhere they have something like 10 different ones which are all slightly different sounding and they choose them depending on the venues sonics...
Old 11-16-2018, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyBehindTheGuy View Post
Am I missing something, or are they all just in a room with a single mic?

https://youtu.be/x668-BgXDMM

Really a sweet sound the Machine had going back then, would love to replicate the very simple setup (depending of course on venue).

Thoughts?
HI GBTG

First of all, Hello and Welcome to the Forum!

I've engineered recordings for bluegrass groups and small folk ensembles with a single mic - though not a uni-directional mic like an SM-57, but a higher end Large Diaphragm mic (full 1" diaphragm) set on omni-directional pattern.

If it was a group who practiced 'acoustically' and listened to each other for balance, it worked well.

I usually recorded them without headphones so they could just listen to one another and adjust (made my job easy).

Live, the things which have to change (over a radio studio) is the main speakers have to be 10-15 feet in front of the performers, and monitors (if any) would have to be in-ear. And if they had a string bass, it usually had an additional mic on it.

Makes for nice quiet stages, but the feedback possibility is a reality if the PA or sound-tech is substandard.

As to the recording you linked, even in a radio station isolated room, the tone is not great with an SM-57, but since everybody was off axis, the tone was equally deficient. Nice effect…but if there had been no video I'd not have listened for more than 20 seconds or so.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-16-2018, 11:39 AM

Cool, thanks guys. If 2 guitars and a separate vocalist (no bass or fiddle), could this setup work running through a basic PA system in a small space? I'd need to check on the PA we'd be working with here.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
HI GBTG

First of all, Hello and Welcome to the Forum!

I've engineered recordings for bluegrass groups and small folk ensembles with a single mic - though not a uni-directional mic like an SM-57, but a higher end Large Diaphragm mic (full 1" diaphragm) set on omni-directional pattern.

If it was a group who practiced 'acoustically' and listened to each other for balance, it worked well.

I usually recorded them without headphones so they could just listen to one another and adjust (made my job easy).

Live, the things which have to change (over a radio studio) is the main speakers have to be 10-15 feet in front of the performers, and monitors (if any) would have to be in-ear. And if they had a string bass, it usually had an additional mic on it.

Makes for nice quiet stages, but the feedback possibility is a reality if the PA or sound-tech is substandard.

As to the recording you linked, even in a radio station isolated room, the tone is not great with an SM-57, but since everybody was off axis, the tone was equally deficient. Nice effect…but if there had been no video I'd not have listened for more than 20 seconds or so.

That's how a lot of the original recordings back back in the day were done, though I believe with figure 8 pattern ribbon mics. Mixing would be done by arranging people around the mics in certain ways.

The single mic thing is still done by a lot of bluegrass people. Though like ljguitar said not usually with an SM-57 though. Though like ljguitar mentioned live there's a bit of problems you have to get around to do it effectively.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Cool, thanks guys. If 2 guitars and a separate vocalist (no bass or fiddle), could this setup work running through a basic PA system in a small space? I'd need to check on the PA we'd be working with here.
Hey Guy, short answer to your question is Yes. My band (currently 5 piece) plays using a variation on the one-mic approach. If you are interested, send me a PM with your contact info and I'll be happy to chat about it. It's a really fun way to play.
Old 11-16-2018, 03:28 PM

They sound great and most likely would sound excellent in any setting. Very nice.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 11-16-2018, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Orion View Post
looks like a single Shure SM57...
I know when Gillian Welch and Dave Rawling play as 'Gillian Welch' they mic their guitars with SM57s and I read somewhere they have something like 10 different ones which are all slightly different sounding and they choose them depending on the venues sonics...
Bingo.

While some will forever poo-poo the SM57, it's probably mic'ed and recorded more guitars than any other single mic in history. They will be found with Rawlings, David Lindley, Ry Cooder and on and on and on.

Rawlings also uses a 19.95 Kyser capo on that little Epiphone quite often, but if you spend much time on Forums you'd think they were un-usable.

Sometimes it's best to concentrate on the actual notes and not get hung up on the gear.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg

Last edited by Kerbie; 11-20-2018 at 06:08 AM. Reason: Rule #1
Old 11-17-2018, 03:11 AM

Was at a concert last sunday with different acoustic acts. What I took with me home was that there really is no reason not to have a mic in the guitar in 2018.
It doesn't get more authentic because you dress up like it's 1937 ...
Old 11-17-2018, 10:36 AM

That works ... in a controlled stage volume setting. With that kind of mic the gain needs to be quite high in order to pick up the ambient sound, which in this case is the other instruments. On a live stage it might be difficult. If there was audience noise or other ambient noises that too would be picked up to some degree, as would the output of FOH and monitors. At high gain and volume levels that could create feedback. In short, it's all about gain before feedback. There's nothing wrong with a SM57, great mics for the right applications, which is why they've been around for 50 years.

The video is obviously shot in a sound studio. No FOH, no monitors, perfect scenario.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
The Milk Carton Kids have done that quite a bit and it works fine for them.

Couch Standards

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification