The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-02-2018, 12:51 AM

Default Strumming and picking with index finger

Does anyone strum and pick with index finger only? I have tried picking with thumb and all three fingers, but I don't seem to be able to get the sound I like. I also find using a flatpick/plectrum unsatisfactory? I am interested to know about anybody else's experiences.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:21 AM

I've used my index finger nail to strum for over 50 years. It's not as supple as it used to be, so it tends to chip and wear down now. I do also use my thumb for up strokes, that nail has managed to hold up better. I too could never master a pick. I've tried picks, thumb picks, fingerpicks and never got on with any of them. I mostly finger pick with thumb nail and index nail (sometimes using middle finger and ring finger, if I concentrate) but I tend to pick out melodies with the flesh of my thumb. I don't think I'm odd, I'm uniquely talented.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodgers View Post
Does anyone strum and pick with index finger only? I have tried picking with thumb and all three fingers, but I don't seem to be able to get the sound I like. I also find using a flatpick/plectrum unsatisfactory? I am interested to know about anybody else's experiences.
Um.. obviously, when I play with a pick, which is my standard style, I hold it between thumb and index finger letting all the rest flop along behind.

When I finger pick I only use my thumb and index finger ...is that what you mean?
This is me finger picking :

This is me flat-picking :

Hope that helps.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:47 AM

Quote:
I do mainly use my index finger even for finger picking. I don't like the sound my middle/ring finger give as much. So for parts of the song where I do not need to pick more than 1 treble string at once, I do tend to use my index finger for it.

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 05-02-2018, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Does anyone strum and pick with index finger only?
I use my index finger as a flat pick, so to speak. I don't normally just "strum" but rather bounce around the strings a bit. Seems like I can be more "accurate" with a pick. And I can "dig in" more. Sounds different, of course.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 05-02-2018, 08:18 AM

Use whatever gives you pleasure and the sound you like. I use them all.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:12 PM

I use different combinations depending on the instrument and style of music.

- For flamenco I use all my fingers (rasqueado) and thumb to strum.
- On electric I usually use a pick, sometimes chicken pickin' with the middle and ring in combination with the pick. I very rarely ditch the pick on electric.
- For fingerstyle acoustic I use fingers only, and will often strum with the index or thumb since I am not typically holding a pick (I never use thumb picks)
- For "pluck and chuck" fingerstyle (John Mayer for example) I typically just use my thumb and index finger.
- For a pure strummer on acoustic I will go to the pick again.

I think it is great to practice all different types of styles and playing techniques. Even if you have a specific interest, forays outside the style can really help overall musicianship.

Later
Rob
Old 05-02-2018, 09:24 PM

I only started trying to fingerpick a couple of years ago. But during the previous fifty years, when I always used a flatpick, I sometimes dropped my middle finger down and let it do whatever it could. Now it seems that even with my rudimentary fingerpicking, I still use mostly the middle finger. Looking at this short video I shot of my right hand, I see the index finger moving but I am afraid it’s mostly grabbing air.

This is a ‘41 00-17, by the way. I am fond of it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0L8QH7iJk_8

Bourgeois, Collings, Eastman, Gibson, Martin
Old 05-03-2018, 04:54 PM

I have a medical problem with my right wrist which causes significant pain and have never been all that comfortable with a pick anyway. Despite that, I still use a pick but mess around here and there using my thumb and index finger. I really need to commit to making the switch permanently because it is better for my wrist but, whenever it becomes a challenge, I revert to using the pick rather than put in the effort to retrain myself.

When using my fingers, I use the thumb for downstrokes and the index finger for upstrokes, but do not stick strictly to alternate picking. I guess I use whatever is comfortable at the time.

If you watch the guy in this video, I pick like him except that I never put the fingers together to strum with (and I don't have guitars with whammy bars so do not do the whammy bar wanking that he does):

As I said, I really need to just bite the bullet and dedicate myself to learning how to play with thumb and index exclusively especially as I far prefer the tactile connection that I have with the guitar when using my fingers. Not only do I feel more connected, but I feel more musical (if that makes sense).
Old 05-04-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Does anyone strum and pick with index finger only?
Ukulele technique, yes?
Quote:
I have tried picking with thumb and all three fingers, but I don't seem to be able to get the sound I like. I also find using a flatpick/plectrum unsatisfactory? I am interested to know about anybody else's experiences.
If I don't have a pick handy, I'll often strum downwards with fingernails, but usually all of them, not just the index. Upstrokes are with the thumbnail. That way none of the nails catch on the strings. I.e., I hold my hand in much the same position as if I'm holding a pick (I usually hold it between tips of thumb, index and middle).

However, I really try to avoid this as much as I can, because I find the strings (if steel) wear down the corner of my nails, which ultimately leads to cracks or splits and I have to cut them right back - which means I can't play my usual fingerstyle. (I can strum just with the flesh of the thumb, up and down, at least if just rehearsing some chord changes - but the sound is much too soft or imprecise for live playing.)

So if strumming steel strings I always try to have a pick (or several) handy. (Nylon strings are not so much an issue.)

What do you find unsatisfactory? Have you tried different thicknesses and shapes? I go for .73 or less - I find heavier picks clumsy for strumming, and anything thinner is too thin for lead playing or flat-picked lines (because I'm often doing both in the same tune).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write