The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-04-2022, 05:57 AM

Default set up

Hi , just bought a new Larrivee OM model .i had it set up by a someone i never used before. i told him i like the action real low ! anyway ; it's not. seems high at the nut. do they sell a set of nut files ?
Old 07-04-2022, 06:05 AM
Charter Member

There's several different sets out there, Stewmac makes a real nice set. Torch cleaners work too if you're only doing g one.

Proceed with caution, go very slow. It's extremely easy to make too low; don't ask me how I know.
Old 07-04-2022, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
Hi , just bought a new Larrivee OM model .i had it set up by a someone i never used before. i told him i like the action real low ! anyway ; it's not. seems high at the nut. do they sell a set of nut files ?
My favorites are the MusicNomad diamond file sets (as sold by Sweetwater and other retailers) but they are not cheap.

You'll often hear the torch tip cleaners recommended but be aware that if you are working on a bone nut or other similar material that it's very easy to chip the slot edges when torch tip cleaners are used. The torch tip cleaners don't have a "set" to the remedial cutting edges, so it's easy for them to bind in the slot.

Old 07-04-2022, 08:01 AM

How about going back to the tech and discuss the unsatisfactory action? As mentioned nut files ain't cheap and using them on one guitar is awfully expensive and they're easy to misuse.
Old 07-04-2022, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
How about going back to the tech and discuss the unsatisfactory action? As mentioned nut files ain't cheap and using them on one guitar is awfully expensive and they're easy to misuse.
yes ;thats my best bet ,thanks guys!
Old 07-04-2022, 08:14 AM

I would be hesitant on going back.

Filing nut slots is like the first thing that the setup should include.

If that was neglected, I'd have to wonder why, it's such a critical point of the setup.

A set of files is a buy once cry once thing, if you have multiple guitars, it's maybe worth the investment. just learn how to do it on a beater first.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 07-04-2022, 09:05 AM

If you are only doing the occasional set up and only lowering existing slots then a set of torch tip cleaners <$10 will do the job, slowly, which can be an advantage if you are inexperienced. Going slow can keep you from going too low.

If you are making several new nuts or doing lots of setups then look at dedicated nut files from Lee Valley, Grizzly or Luthier supply houses like LMI

https://www.grizzly.com/products/uo-...et-of-8/t25458

The Grizzly and Lee Valley are high quality Uo Chiko brand.
Old 07-20-2022, 09:50 AM

I use feeler gauges of the right thickness wrapped in 220 sandpaper - works fine
Old 07-20-2022, 12:36 PM

You can get a set of needle files for less than $10 bucks. Before 'nut files' luthiers used needle files for hundreds of years, some still do.

But I would still take it back to the tech who set it up in the first place. Most repair techs want to make sure you are satisfied.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair