The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-02-2022, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

Default Gage Halland Brazilian German D-H Review

Howdy Folks, Its been REALLY fun getting to know my SMOKIN HOT off the press Halland I recently received... I'll attach a link below of its build thread for those who missed it...

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=634975

This is Gage's larger D-H model, Brazilian back and sides with German spruce top, 25.4 scale, 1 25/32 nut and 2 5/16 string spacing...

First crack of the case I was floored by the instruments precision appearance, it really captures the "new guitar" experience, stunning looking... The fret work looks like jewelry, lol... Same with the rosette....

I’m 100% on board with whatever building recipe Gage is doing, this guitar is a tonal masterpiece… I'm confident in my statement that this Halland is among the most sensitive and expressive guitars I've ever played, and bold volume too… There is a sustain, power, bloom and clarity that really defines the modern golden era of lutherie...

This guitar can articulate on a level you simply can't get out of a lesser guitar.. I find myself playing songs I've known for years and played 100 times in totally new ways, allowing for the blooms and sustain to shine through etc... playing slower and really allowing myself to listen... very captivating and inspiring tone...

Oh and its a really good strummer, which I found interesting, usually a very sensitive instrument does not excel in strumming in my experience, but yea, chords all day on this... The bigger D-H body carries a bold full bass that balances the articulate treble, so strumming really works.

Last important part of the equation, playability! I don't know how he does it, the guitar makes me question the set ups of the majority of my instruments I own, lol... Its almost too low, but it plays perfect with no issues, so no complaints, I can dig in and everything... I gotta break out some complex crazy finger style tab books and learn something mind boggling, I'll be able to navigate on this beauty like none other THANKS GAGE!

Old 07-02-2022, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

That's some madly beautiful work right there. Time for one of your videos!!
Old 07-02-2022, 03:49 PM

Amazing guitar! Enjoy!
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 07-02-2022, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

I agree about everything including the setup part...Its amazing that it still projects and activates the bridge so well with it being that comfortable, that guitar was such a breeze to demo at La Conner. Enjoy in good health, amigo!

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 07-02-2022, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

Congrats Dave…
Old 07-03-2022, 12:13 AM
Charter Member

Smile Halland

Congratulations Dave. What an absolute beauty!!! The woods and overall appearance are stunning.

If I was going to commission a build with a luthier other than Ray Kraut (who is my friend), it would definitely be Gage Halland.

Enjoy!!!!!

2020 Kraut 00, Swiss/Brazilian, build
2018 Eady EG Pro Electric, Redwood/Mahogany
2013 Baranik Meridian, Blue Spruce/Cocobolo, build
2008 Baranik CX, Blue Spruce/African Blackwood
2008 Breedlove A20 Masterclass 12-string, Adi/IRW
2003 Thames classical, Euro/Brazilian
Fodera Standard 4 Fretless bass, figured walnut
Old 07-03-2022, 03:32 AM

Outstanding looking guitar, Dave! This is a review I have been looking forward to reading for quite a while...there's only one thing that can make it even better, which is one of your video clips playing this D-H on the couch so that we can also get an idea of how good it sounds!
Old 07-03-2022, 03:39 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Congrats Dave. Sure is a beauty!
Old 07-03-2022, 06:24 PM
Charter Member

Amazing, Dave, congratulations.
Old 07-03-2022, 06:53 PM
Charter Member

Thanks a lot for all the views and comments, Have a great 4th....!!!

Couch video, totally, been planning to do so... I need to get in the right OCD mood and headspace, lol... I only have an iPhone, and its "very difficult" for me to come up with footage I'm content with... I record the same song played the same way 15 times in a row, and delete each video because it sounds bad, and then the 16th time I'll play and it sounds legit Its a real pain and i cant figure it out, I need some actual equipment one of these days....
Old 07-03-2022, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondave View Post
Thanks a lot for all the views and comments, Have a great 4th....!!!

Couch video, totally, been planning to do so... I need to get in the right OCD mood and headspace, lol... I only have an iPhone, and its "very difficult" for me to come up with footage I'm content with... I record the same song played the same way 15 times in a row, and delete each video because it sounds bad, and then the 16th time I'll play and it sounds legit Its a real pain and i cant figure it out, I need some actual equipment one of these days....
U r too hard on yourself Dave - from your previous couch videos you play more than well enough and i am sure even one of those less favoured clips will do nicely to give us an idea of the quality of tone you are experiencing! Now if we r talking about MY clips, what you said would be entirely correct and it would be a lot more than 16 clips hahaha
Old 07-04-2022, 12:53 AM
Charter Member

Dave,
I’m so happy to read this man. I know exactly what how you feel and agree with every sentiment. Congrats brother.

Did I tell you yet that my second Halland build is just around the corner?
Old 07-04-2022, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJI View Post
Dave,
I’m so happy to read this man. I know exactly what how you feel and agree with every sentiment. Congrats brother.

Did I tell you yet that my second Halland build is just around the corner?
That's excellent Josh. What model are you commissioning this time?
Old 07-04-2022, 05:46 AM
Charter Member

Default Halland D-H

Your new Halland D-H is a beauty Dave, congratulations. The German Spruce - Brazilian Rosewood combination was a great choice. I had the pleasure of hearing Dustin Furlow's demo performance of your guitar at La Conner and it has a beautiful voice, indeed. Enjoy!
Old 07-04-2022, 03:55 PM

I will echo everyone else, looks great. I really like the little flare at each end of the arm bevel, really nice touch.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop