The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-02-2022, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonesDT View Post

The action was too high - too much so to correct with just the truss rod. The bottom line is, these things definitely need a set-up out of the box (e.g. sanding of the saddle).

Hi Bones

Enya says that the action is adjusted by loosening the neck bolts, re-seating the neck, and tightening bolts to get a good string height.

Then adjust the truss rod to get the curvature/flatness you want.

Quote:

I was then trying to decide if I wanted to return for good or get a replacement. I really really wanted this guitar to work because I really really have a need for a climate-proof workhorse. But I just couldn't come to terms with the sound. I'm definitely far from having a trained ear, but I just couldn't help but prefer to play my $166 Orangewood Oliver rather than this one. It just sounded too weird to me (and it's very loud) and ... well ... non-wood'ish.
How does it sound with a regular pick or bare fingers instead of finger picks?

Cheers
2014 Fender Concert Pro (New Hartford) - red spruce, mahogany

Last edited by casualmusic; 03-02-2022 at 03:28 PM.
Old 03-02-2022, 05:43 PM

I forgot it had a bolt on neck. Thank you for clarifying.

I never use fingerpicks. I used bare fingers and some light pick strumming (I didn’t want to make any marks). I’m not very experienced and my only acoustic experience is with a $166 Orangewood, so what do I know. But it just didn’t make me smile. That’s as good as I can explain it. It definitely had to go back because of the defect on the top, so I didn’t want to mess with it any longer and just wanted to send it back ASAP. Maybe I’ll reorder it again. I think I need to test some guitars out at a store and get used to different sounds.
Old 03-02-2022, 05:55 PM

Sorry it didn’t work out for you. The sound of the guitar is midrangy with strong bass. Changing strings to elixir 80/20’s helped balance out the sound a bit for me. I like the sound but it is different from all solid wood guits. And it sounds very good plugged in which was important for me as a gigging guitar.

Mine was set up pretty well when I got it, just needing a bit of saddle shave and truss tweak. I was lucky and got to play a couple of them and pick the one I wanted - I live in Houston which is the home for Enya US distribution.

74 Guild D35 09 Larrivee L-03 Zebrano
94 Martin D35 08 Larrivee LV-10 Red Spr/Madag
95 Martin D1 08 Taylor 814ce
98 Martin 000-16SP Taylor GS Mini Koa
00 Martin D28 10 Taylor 414ce
06 Larrivee P-09BZ 18 Gibson Hummingbird
17 Pono Koa O-10 19 Yamaha LL-TA
Others....
Old 05-07-2022, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualmusic View Post
Hi Bones

Enya says that the action is adjusted by loosening the neck bolts, re-seating the neck, and tightening bolts to get a good string height.
Wait, can you clarify? I ordered it again and it is not a bolt on neck afterall.
Old 05-07-2022, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Wait, can you clarify? I ordered it again and it is not a bolt on neck afterall.
The neck bolts should be inside the body.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089

Last edited by mountainmaster; 05-07-2022 at 08:48 AM.
Old 05-09-2022, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmaster View Post
The neck bolts should be inside the body.
Found them, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualmusic View Post
So what exactly do you mean by "re-seating"? What I did was I loosed all the strings a lot, loosened the neck bolts and I RAISED the neck roughly about 1mm higher (effectively lowering the action) and tightened the bolts back down. You can notice a little 1mm gap in the neck heel because I raised it. Is this what you meant?

The Low E-String is now 2.0mm above the 12th fret, which is working well for me, but I just want to make sure I'm not causing damage by shifting the neck higher.
Old 06-06-2022, 12:02 PM

I have the KLOS full-sized all-CF guitar, along with an HD-28 and a J200. The KLOS is my favorite guitar to play, and its sound compares very favorably with the nice wood guitars. I bought it sight-unseen, and its the best $ I think I've ever spent. It doesn't care about the weather, and neither my dogs nor I have done any damage to it.
2020 KLOS Full-size Full Carbon Fiber
2022 Epiphone IBG J200
Old 06-06-2022, 12:49 PM

Cool. Congrats. I definitely had my eye on the Klos All-CF, but it's worth mentioning it's twice the price of the Enya X4 All-CF ($2k vs $900).

The Klos' Apollo looks good too, which is a carbon fiber neck electric (super strat style). It still has a (solid) wood body, but it's $1100. I don't think you have to be too concerned with solid wood bodies and weather as much, I think the CF neck is more important for weatherproofing.

Hopefully, CF will be getting more and more popular. I would love for Traveler Guitar to make a CF guitar. I have their Escape and I use it by far more than anything - it's the most practical guitar ever.
Old 06-12-2022, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Thank you for that - yes, that would be much more preferable than the OF. I overlooked that model because it's listed under "Ergonomic Touring and Student Guitars" on their website, which is confusing.

It's still a little smaller than I would like though.

The more I think about it the more then Enya X4 is ideally what I'm looking for. Full body, 25.5" scale, traditional shape, and $900. However, there is very little information about it. Anybody have any experience with it.
i have an RT660 and borrowed my friend's X4 for a bit. the Enya is a nice guitar, but some people don't like the 1-11/16" nut. it's bigger, heavier, and louder than the Journey, but some find that the neck feels cramped.
Old 08-05-2022, 08:54 AM

Hi guys, I thought I would just memorialize this here:

The X4 comes with Enya branded tuning machines, but they are equivalent to Gotoh SGL510-STD-GG-S5

That means they are Sealed Gear; L for middle sized with a 45-degree screw hole; 1:18 gear ratio; STD for non-locking; Gold Gloss; with a small color-matched Zinc button (unique Gotoh-style).

This should help if anyone is looking to swap in locking tuners of the same size and/or style.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber