The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-06-2019, 10:06 AM

Default How low can one go?

I will try to keep this one short.....😜. I know that Ovations are not held in high regard here, but I am going to share my story anyway.
I ran across a very good deal on a guitar at GC short time back. It was a Glen Campbell Ovation (Korean) that was new for $600. I played a bit at the store, thought about it overnight, did some research ( some here) and brought it home. my thought was to leave my Taylor 810 at home and take a different guitar out for gigs. But, alas, I could not get the sound I wanted out of it. So I took it back and ordered a different model Ovation from another GC that was in excellent condition for a bit more $ (always, right?). It looked as new and had the best action I have played in many years and it sounded decent, but the electronics were wacky, as in defective. Back it goes. Back to the internet and found yet another Ovation, a 2778 LX (US made) in natural with the contour back, also in excellent condition. The action was a bit high so I had a friend that deals with these things look at it. I did not want to play the Taylor as I was thinking I would be disappointed with the Ovation, but it was out of my hands for a week. I broke down and went back to the 810 for an evening.....
The Ovation came back the next day and had decided that if I could not live with it I would return it once again (never once did the person at GC seem negative thru this process but encouraged me to get what I wanted) and start the search again.
Well, the Ovation is tremendous! The action and tone is very nice. My luthier friend mentioned that he thought it was a nice instrument and well worth the cost ($900). Then trio that I play with really thought it sounded nice. The more I play it the more I like it. I am thinking I like this Ovation as well as the Taylor. Unplugged as well.
What is wrong with me? At 71 have I went around the bend? Should I trade out the 810 for carbon fiber guitar? Or turn myself in for an attitude adjustment?
But it DOES sound nice.
And thanks for listening, feel better already 😅
Old 05-06-2019, 10:17 AM

The other members of the trio owe you money, right?

Just Kidding!

You like the guitar. The band lets you play it. What's not to like?
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 05-06-2019, 10:25 AM

There is a reason that Ovation has been around for all these years.
The tone isn't as much of a factor as the general materials used and the all around looks of an Ovation that keeps the purist guitar players from liking them.
For me, the bowl back is not comfortable when sitting. I play 100% sitting.

Good to see that you found a guitar that you like.
Hope it keeps you happy for many years.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Ovation has been around a long time for a reason. They make good, solid, road worthy guitars. They may not be to everyone's liking, but then not all people are Taylor (or insert other manufacturer here) lovers either.

While I no longer own an Ovation, I have always liked them.
Wish you the best with yours.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

I remember around 69 when they came out. They had colorful rosettes and wild dyed tops. And those bowls.
I was firmly in the $30, cut your fingers on it, guitar camp but boy do I remember that rack of them on the wall.

So many greats loved em. They are on recordings a mile long.
They are like the Hi Hat of acoustic rhythm playing. That sweet crisp low sustain attack.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:31 PM

I love my Ovations and keep coming back to them. If I ever will reduce the number of guitars to just one 6 string and one 12 string, then it will be the two Ovations.
Old 05-06-2019, 02:34 PM

I like Ovations a lot but cannot play their narrow necks. I hope one day Ovation will introduce an Asian made model with a 1.75 mut width!
Old 05-06-2019, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

Ovation Balladeer Special.....solid guitar. Wish I had never sold it..USA made, shallow bowl...did everything.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:27 PM

I don't like how the Ovation slides off my lap, but I'll never fault them for sound. The romantic in me can't stand that this guitar with the artificial back and sides can sound just as good as an all wood guitar.

I would imagine that Ovations are popular among cruise ship musicians as that bowl back makes a great flotation device.

In fact, I heard about a cruise ship that sunk, and the guitarist floated to shore holding onto his Ovation while his talented wife accompanied him on the piano.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:36 PM

In my opinion it is great for band use plugged in and standing. Not so sitting and playing acoustically. They have a place though in certain situations. And no you dont need an attitude adjustment.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:47 PM

There's nothing "wrong" with you, we just have different ears.

And mine, shouldn't mean one thing to you so I'll save my opinion. It isn't relevant.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 05-06-2019, 04:30 PM

Like jricc said. They’ve been played by professionals from America to Zepplin. The U.S. Custom Balladeers were tremendous.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:50 PM

My Ovation is the least expensive guitar I own but it's my gig guitar for band gigs. I love it plugged in and don't worry about it. I've owned several and now down to a super shallow and easy to play. When I started playing I'd never consider Ovation that changed over time.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 05-06-2019, 04:59 PM

I had a legend years ago -was my playout guitar -should not of gotten rid of it
Old 05-06-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippy5 View Post
I remember around 69 when they came out. They had colorful rosettes and wild dyed tops. And those bowls.
I was firmly in the $30, cut your fingers on it, guitar camp but boy do I remember that rack of them on the wall.

So many greats loved em. They are on recordings a mile long.
They are like the Hi Hat of acoustic rhythm playing. That sweet crisp low sustain attack.
I remember when they came out also. Everyone used them on The Midnight Special and on the road because there was nothing better for live use. I never heard of ANYONE recording with one, because the acoustic sound was not good.
Now there are many alternatives to Ovation for live use. Even modestly priced guitars have decent sound systems in them, so that’s why vintage Ovations are cheap.
1979 Alvarez CY 115, #226 of 600
1977 Giannini Craviola 12 String
1997 Martin CEO-1R
1970s C.F. Mountain OOO-18
1968 Standel/Harptone E6-N
1969-70 Harptone Maple Lark L6-NC (Katrina guitar)
Supreme A-12
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Esteban Antonio Brown Model

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion