The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-30-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
Man oh man, this thread is making me impatient for the McJam. Can I come live in the shack for a month? I'm sure my wife and kids won't miss me!
Son, you just privileges by calling the Lone Cone a "shack." For shame!

Besides, I've two weeks left in my summer course and then I may very well make an early pilgrimage to Greater Metropolitan Morral to play those Hot Totties myself.

Looking forward to seeing you, Neil, and everyone else at the McJam upcoming, but especially eager to hold those new model guitars (and, of course, hang out in the wood room, aka Heaven on Earth).
Old 05-31-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eire View Post
Son, you just privileges by calling the Lone Cone a "shack." For shame!

Besides, I've two weeks left in my summer course and then I may very well make an early pilgrimage to Greater Metropolitan Morral to play those Hot Totties myself.

Looking forward to seeing you, Neil, and everyone else at the McJam upcoming, but especially eager to hold those new model guitars (and, of course, hang out in the wood room, aka Heaven on Earth).
My mistake. Did you reserve it? I’m not certain if I signed up for loft security in time. I may have to sleep in my van. Those Morral hotels are big getaway destinations every graduation season and fill up fast!

As for Hot Totties you do realize that Mary has a strict policy on alcohol, hmm?
Old 05-31-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
So, Tim, the professor in me wants to know how you arrived at this body shape. What you've CAD-produced looks significantly wider in the lower bout and narrower in the upper bout than the 1840s Martin with which you started. Just curious of dimensions (which don't appear on your page yet) and the "why" and the "how" of your mad-engineering genius in getting there. And a second question, if you'd be kind enough: How do you sense the Tottie being different from the Skeeter and Deacon, in particular, besides the lighter weight and single sides? I'd love to know your R&D process on this one.

Or is this one of those questions I ask of you where you'd have to kill me if you told me, as you've threatened on so many other occasions?!?
I think Tim chose to interpret the design and put his own flair for it. I’m trying to do something similar with an OM mold I’m trying to make but my bandsaw did the interpreting for me!
Old 05-31-2019, 11:38 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
So, Tim, the professor in me wants to know how you arrived at this body shape. What you've CAD-produced looks significantly wider in the lower bout and narrower in the upper bout than the 1840s Martin with which you started. Just curious of dimensions (which don't appear on your page yet) and the "why" and the "how" of your mad-engineering genius in getting there. And a second question, if you'd be kind enough: How do you sense the Tottie being different from the Skeeter and Deacon, in particular, besides the lighter weight and single sides? I'd love to know your R&D process on this one.

Or is this one of those questions I ask of you where you'd have to kill me if you told me, as you've threatened on so many other occasions?!?
Good afternoon Prof. I didn’t have the original 1845 Martin in hand to take a direct tracing from. All I had were a few pictures to work from and I doubt they were to proper perspective scale. I rendered my body shape basically by hand (mouse) in CAD and just confirmed upper bout, waist and lower bout widths and overall length dimensions were correct. The pictures we’ve posted probably don’t appear the proper perspective shape either so some may look a bit unbalanced in shape on your monitor. In real life the guitar “looks” properly balanced both by my eye and tactile feel.

Tottie differs from a Deacon and Skeeter in overall size in it being much smaller than its two larger siblings. I’ve heard recordings of the original Martin and I think I’ve nailed the voice on the repro model as close as humanly possible working with new woods. The new model has more sustain and oomph plus a hint more modern sound but overall I was thrilled with the first one and couldn’t wait to get back into the shop and build more.

These tiny guitars intrigue me in the sheer power they have for their size. It just brings a smile to my face every time I picked up #1. Besides the unique sound they are EXTREMELY comfortable to play. Granted they don’t have the depth of sound that a larger dred has because it’s just physically (physics) impossible ... but ... the fun factor is off the charts.

Tottie #2 and #3 differ from #1 in body woods and soundboard so it won’t be a fair comparison to #1. We also decided to build the latter two with EIR and Cedar, to keep costs down and with the main differences being an added cutaway and different scale lengths. Why? Just because I can

I decided to build these two with single sides too because it’s been years since I’ve used single sides and to keep the weight down to a target of 3lb.

Keep the questions coming without fear of your life. I’ve turned over a new leaf or two.
Old 05-31-2019, 02:00 PM

I will be bringing my 1890's adi/braz Thompson & Odell to McJam for size comparisons [emoji16]

I just got to visit Gruhn's Guitars in Nashville last Saturday and got to play some amazing early 0-45's from the 1920's. They couldn't have tipped 3lbs. and they absolutely rocked the house!

All this parlor talk...argh!! (que the wimpering wallet sounds)

Question for Tim, have any tottie's been built with a double top? This would have a 2-fold affect for volume and weight, right?
Old 06-01-2019, 03:52 PM
AGF Sponsor

Neil and Kurt - I'll email you two about Loft and Lone Cone sleeping arrangements

Pete, somewhat local, was just 15 when he decided to buy a his first McKnight. He has another ordered for the future. He is bringing his cousin,Charlie, but only on Saturday. This will be their first time attending the McJam.

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:37 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteybabes View Post
Question for Tim, have any tottie's been built with a double top? This would have a 2-fold affect for volume and weight, right?
Hi Peter,
No, not yet but its certainly a possibility. Hmm, I may have to build one and let you test drive it
Old 06-04-2019, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
Hi Peter,

No, not yet but its certainly a possibility. Hmm, I may have to build one and let you test drive it
I'm liking the sound of that!
Old 06-04-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary View Post
Neil and Kurt - I'll email you two about Loft and Lone Cone sleeping arrangements

Pete, somewhat local, was just 15 when he decided to buy a his first McKnight. He has another ordered for the future. He is bringing his cousin,Charlie, but only on Saturday. This will be their first time attending the McJam.
Kurt, I am not thumb wrestling you for it. You're much too lean and athletic compared to my pudgy dad bod. You can have the Lone Cone lol!

BTW Mary, can Tim check my homework? Please hide the burn barrel though. it took me 7 years to get where I am on it! I promise to recycle any failures. John Kitchen has a nice flower planter because I once bent two left sides on his Fox bender. This one has the potential to make a nice birdhouse since I already closed the box!
Old 06-05-2019, 06:28 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
BTW Mary, can Tim check my homework? Please hide the burn barrel though. it took me 7 years to get where I am on it!
Hey Neil,
I would be glad to review your progress and answer any questions that you might have. Please bring it along and I promise to lock up the wood stove in the interim.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:24 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
If you show up early don’t be surprised if I put you to work setting up guitars I hope to spray my last coats of finish in the morning. Yikes, talk about working down to the wire... reminds me of the pre-Healdsburg fiasco you helped bail me out of a few years ago
Old 06-05-2019, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
If you show up early don’t be surprised if I put you to work setting up guitars I hope to spray my last coats of finish in the morning. Yikes, talk about working down to the wire... reminds me of the pre-Healdsburg fiasco you helped bail me out of a few years ago
Setting up a guitar is always preferable to stripping off the finish out of necessity.

See ya soon, boss.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:20 AM
AGF Sponsor

Here is a tip for those who use tape when attaching bindings to the sides of a guitar. I use this simple tool in conjunction with binding tape:

Its just a screwdriver which I've cut off the steel blade end.

Binding a guitar is one of those difficult tasks that often separates the men from the boys. Its a task that has no margin for error because there aren't any ways to "hide" a mistake or gap between the binding and body.

When you use tape, to attach bindings, you pull the tape tight in an attempt to pull the binding tight against the body to prevent those unsightly gaps between those two surfaces. Do you ever break the tape when you pull the tape too tight? I don't know about your experience but I often do so I came up with this simple tool to assist me and save the frustration of breaking tape at the most frustrating of times.

I simply attach one end of the tape to the side of the body. Then I position the tool over the top of the tape and push the binding tight against the guitar body. While I hold the tool firmly in place, I stretch the tape taught and seal it down on the back or top of the body. All the while I am doing this, the opposite end of the guitar body is positioned against my stomach so I have a firm support while pushing inward with the screw driver handle.

It certainly would help to have washboard abs or an 8-pack but my 1-pack seems to work just fine

Its difficult to describe my process in words so I hope these pictures will allow you to see what I am attempting to say and do?
Old 06-13-2019, 02:11 PM
AGF Sponsor

Impressive Tim. Steve hired me (I’m pretty sure) just to do the job of your screwdriver. Binding is definitely a core workout. It will be the coup-de-gras of the Sweatin’ with the Luthiers video I plan on putting out.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 06-17-2019, 05:54 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
Impressive Tim. Steve hired me (I’m pretty sure) just to do the job of your screwdriver. Binding is definitely a core workout. It will be the coup-de-gras of the Sweatin’ with the Luthiers video I plan on putting out.
I look forward to reviewing y'alls video Ryan. Just don't tell me you and Steve are going with the curly perm and hot pants theme though. That might be pushing it a bit

Another binding tip is to use cauls, for each unique body, to clamp the bindings tight against the waist area. It seems this is one of those pesky areas that are difficult to get enough clamping force with tape. We also clamp the ends at the same time too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop