The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-03-2018, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Well said I be sayin'.
I knew I heard it somewhere.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I knew I heard it somewhere.

It seems you know stuff..

Maybe I should get some wood guitars so I can get rid of them.... you know...join the movement type thing.

McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-03-2018, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
It seems you know stuff..

Maybe I should get some wood guitars so I can get rid of them.... you know...join the movement type thing.

I could probably work out a trade with you... you know, so you can be part of the movement. I am thoughtful that way.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

I spent some time playing the 814 this morning. Nice guitar. The tobacco burst top is very classy looking. Love the curly maple binding. Sounds nice. Plays great. It really is a very nice guitar. Before calling it a wrap for the session, I swapped for the X20... no comparison. The X20 does all that other stuff AND just feels great. And doesn't care about the humidity level. I prefer the tone of the X20, as well.

I don't think I'll sell off the 814. Yet.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

No matter what you think of Taylors "tone", they make some of the most beautiful guitars out there, their bursts are perfect, and their high end woods are stunning, I love looking at them. Playing them....not so much, I find their tone to lack soul, just a bit sterile. I owned a bunch of them, so their must have been something I liked! Of course, the player may be lacking soul too. LOL Maybe you will sell when you order that X30 ??
Old 10-04-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I spent some time playing the 814 this morning. Nice guitar..... Before calling it a wrap for the session, I swapped for the X20... no comparison. The X20 does all that other stuff AND just feels great. And doesn't care about the humidity level. I prefer the tone of the X20, as well.

I don't think I'll sell off the 814. Yet.
Roger that, Captain. I enjoy playing and looking at my wood guitars, but switching to the X20 is just so......appealing, in every way. Player comfort. Racy looks. Playability. Tone. And comfort.

I will always retain my all-koa 424 LTD because I like koa so much, and maybe my 414ce mostly because I cannot sell it for what it is *really* worth as a player's guitar tonally. But if all I could ever own going forward was an X20, life would still be worth living.
Old 11-03-2018, 07:35 PM

So today, having come across some photos of me playing my Martin HD28e at my first open mic, and some other photos of that insanely beautiful myrtlewood Breedlove, I went back to the guitar shop and reclaimed my wood guitars.

So I'm a total hypocrite lol.

We'll see if I change my mind again. I really do love those guitars. That's why I got them, so will I really love 1/2 the cash value in my pocket as much as the beautiful, sonorous works of craftsmanship themselves?

Not today at least...

Last edited by byudzai; 11-03-2018 at 07:52 PM.
Old 11-03-2018, 08:11 PM
Charter Member

I think that was a good move, best not to rush into it. I recently just bought back a Martin 000-15sm that I had sold a friend in a moment of weakness. One of the few guitars I was sorry I had sold. It is my favorite go to at the moment. When I play the X20, it feels too long. There may be an X20 12 fret in my future. I hope. It's nice to have some variety.
Old 11-04-2018, 05:28 AM

The woodies are keepers and good to have variety ...for now...
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 11-04-2018, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

I posted about a month ago that the 'battle is over and the Martin lost' but since then I still find myself going to the Martin when I'm just playing unplugged in the house. The X20 still sounds better but there's just something about that super-lightweight build and tone that makes me grab the wood. The X7 is a month from finish (allegedly) so the real battle will happen when it arrives. I'm planning on taking the whole winter to make the decision!

Last edited by Methos1979; 11-04-2018 at 05:30 PM.
Old 11-04-2018, 05:02 PM

Not quite yet. I want to sell, but have not gotten around to formally listing them somewhere. Probably local CL first, then consign them in Arizona next spring if they have not sold by then. No hurry, except for another winter is coming and I will have to think about humidification - again. And it would be nice to get the closet space back.

The mental test I apply to anything on the bubble is: If this were destroyed or stolen, would I use the insurance money to replace it in kind?

It seems a shame to have such nice wood guitars sitting in a closet virtually unplayed over the year, but my CF guitars have totally displaced the wood ones. The Rainsong WS-1000 got played for an hour yesterday, and it was striking how much that non-beveled edge dug into my forearm after a while. Today will be X20 day......
Old 11-04-2018, 05:54 PM

I'm not ready to part with the beautiful voice of my Breedlove blond jumbo.

PC140478.jpg

BL Flame Maple.jpg
Breedlove Blond Jumbo
Yamaha Silent Steel String
Old 11-04-2018, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

Wow...that Breedlove is a beauty ! But I think it's against the rules to show such beautiful wood guitars in the CF forum. I can see why you want to keep that one, a work of art.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:12 PM

Holding that HD28e today in my hands, playing it felt..... just wonderful.

I think, if it were stolen, I would probably end up buying another one at some point.

I will definitely perform with it again one day. So earthy and authentic and part of the culture.

But all of that at the cost of storing it most of the time in between. Tricky question.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:25 PM
Charter Member

I have a Rainsong WS1000 and an Emerald X30 and neither would ever replace my Goodalls or other wood guitars I have. The CF guitars are great but nothing is quite like a great wood instrument!!!

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber