The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-02-2015, 01:13 PM
Guest 928

Patch;

Thank you. I'd not seen this instrument; another obscure piece of CF history. someone needs to write a book.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:16 PM

Really interesting. The Adamas Q was pretty close to 100% CF. I had no idea they ventured into CF and had never heard of this before.

Did some reading on the Adamas fan club site and read that they retailed for about $6000 each and that only a dozen or so were ever made before it ended. They are surely collector items now. Love to hear how one sounded. NOTHING found on Youtube or Google.

Makes me even more amazed at the CF companies that have been able to stay the course and continue on building and innovating.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:35 AM

Based on the nice reviews and comments about the Adamas guitars, I looked around the internet and saw that there are some issues (more than one 12 string Adamas guitar) where the bridge started to lift (more a glue issue than a warping guitar top issue).

Having wanted to avoid warp and crack issues that are often caused by humidity, I jumped into the carbon fiber world.

Were these isolated incidents or did Adamas have bridge and other quality issues?
Old 11-03-2015, 04:36 PM

I was excited to hear they're back, and with some former employees. Very cool. And wow, they're only aiming to build 300 guitars between now and March?! When I got into guitar, Ovations were everywhere!
I wonder if Adamas will be priced as prohibitively sky-high as before, or even moreso...I think Adamas are beautiful/ugly, in the best way.

I've always had an obsession with Ovation, but also mixed feelings.

My first few quality / USA guitars were Ovations (two 90s Elites, a late 80s Balladeer)...probably what made me more accepting of composites. The tone of a deep-bowl is pretty great.

But what might've been state-of-the-art in the 80s...there are lots of great on-board pickup systems now, and Ovations don't really compare to what's going on in the composite world now: Emerald, Rainsong, Blackbird...and all generally more affordable than Adamas. (Maybe it's unfair to compare them them to those companies.)

I was really impressed with the Ovation factory tour vid and the amount of work that goes into those guitars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by talonmm View Post
Based on the nice reviews and comments about the Adamas guitars, I looked around the internet and saw that there are some issues (more than one 12 string Adamas guitar) where the bridge started to lift (more a glue issue than a warping guitar top issue).

Having wanted to avoid warp and crack issues that are often caused by humidity, I jumped into the carbon fiber world.

Were these isolated incidents or did Adamas have bridge and other quality issues?
I don't think Ovation solves many stability issues. I had to have my Balladeer's neck reset, and I've seen just as many Ovations with sunken tops, lifted bridges, and in need of neck resets (compared to all-wood). The design keeps the most stability-risk parts: neck, bridge, top.

I've also heard the hypothesis that joining wood (which expands and contracts) directly to composite material (which doesn't at all) is more likely to create stability cracks and lifts, whereas wood-to-wood joints expand and contract a bit more "together." That seems plausible to me, but even if untrue, I think it's safe to say that Ovations are about equally as likely to have issues as all-wood guitars. (Though you wont have issues with the side or back!!! )

So what's the benefit? The Adamas aesthetic and design (suspended top, soundholes, and graphic-sandwiched wood tops) are interesting and innovative and lend to a unique sound. They've also got a pretty electric feel/playability. But IMO they need some design work to become state-of-the-art...otherwise, (again, IMO) Adamas remains a cool-but-expensive throwback oddity.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:27 PM
Guest 928

Tommy;

What a great review! I'm with you. I think Ovation has done a lot of really neat exploration, and fallen short in a lot of critical areas. It's hard being a first scout.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyld View Post
I was excited to hear they're back, and with some former employees. Very cool. And wow, they're only aiming to build 300 guitars between now and March?! When I got into guitar, Ovations were everywhere!
I wonder if Adamas will be priced as prohibitively sky-high as before, or even moreso...I think Adamas are beautiful/ugly, in the best way.

I've always had an obsession with Ovation, but also mixed feelings.

My first few quality / USA guitars were Ovations (two 90s Elites, a late 80s Balladeer)...probably what made me more accepting of composites. The tone of a deep-bowl is pretty great.

But what might've been state-of-the-art in the 80s...there are lots of great on-board pickup systems now, and Ovations don't really compare to what's going on in the composite world now: Emerald, Rainsong, Blackbird...and all generally more affordable than Adamas. (Maybe it's unfair to compare them them to those companies.)

I was really impressed with the Ovation factory tour vid and the amount of work that goes into those guitars!

I don't think Ovation solves many stability issues. I had to have my Balladeer's neck reset, and I've seen just as many Ovations with sunken tops, lifted bridges, and in need of neck resets (compared to all-wood). The design keeps the most stability-risk parts: neck, bridge, top.

I've also heard the hypothesis that joining wood (which expands and contracts) directly to composite material (which doesn't at all) is more likely to create stability cracks and lifts, whereas wood-to-wood joints expand and contract a bit more "together." That seems plausible to me, but even if untrue, I think it's safe to say that Ovations are about equally as likely to have issues as all-wood guitars. (Though you wont have issues with the side or back!!! )

So what's the benefit? The Adamas aesthetic and design (suspended top, soundholes, and graphic-sandwiched wood tops) are interesting and innovative and lend to a unique sound. They've also got a pretty electric feel/playability. But IMO they need some design work to become state-of-the-art...otherwise, (again, IMO) Adamas remains a cool-but-expensive throwback oddity.

Thank you, I appreciate your help and insights!
Old 11-06-2015, 06:23 PM

I can't speak generally, but I own four Ovations and only one of them has any structural issues at all.

Three of them are 29 years old or more:

(1) An Adamas II 1581 built in 1986, now 29 years old, with zero structural or cosmetic issues (could pass for brand new, although it's been played a lot)

(2) A 1978-1981 Anniversary Model 1157-7 Ovation, at least 34 years old, mint condition, could pass for brand new, zero structural or cosmetic issues

(3) A 1976 Patriot, needs a neck reset but otherwise in good condition.

I own a Rainsong Bluegrass Model which I like quite a bit. It is definitely lighter than the Ovations. But for sound and playability it is no match for my Adamas, and I would probably take the 1157-7 over the Rainsong too soundwise.

Ovations are unlikely to be as indestructible as a Rainsong, but my limited experience indicates that they are well-built guitars that last a long time with minimal care.
Old 11-06-2015, 07:30 PM
Guest 928

Geof;

What a great collection of guitars! It sounds as if you found what suits you and have stuck with it--that's rare and pretty neat.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof S. View Post
Ovations are unlikely to be as indestructible as a Rainsong, but my limited experience indicates that they are well-built guitars that last a long time with minimal care.
I agree that they're well-built. I don't think I've ever seen a poorly built USA Ovation. Fine workmanship.
Old 11-13-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
Negative to me now is the weight, heavy compared to carbon.
The weight of Ovations had been significantly reduced in the mid 2000 with their LX series compared to their 80s and 90s models. They replaced the heavy aluminum K-bar in the neck with two carbon rods, added glass spheres to the bodies, and shaved the braces of the tops. These changes made a huge difference and was quite the Whoa! moment when I lifted my LX out of it's case the first time, after being used to the old style for many years. I think that the new US models all have the light necks, and also hand laid fiberglass bowls that may even be thinner and lighter than previous ones. We will see ...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber