The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 08:28 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
Kind thought bro, much appreciated, but a bit of hyperbole.
I'm more like the old blind hog that eventually finds an acorn, than anything else. Give credit to Tom and his wife unit. They sketched this design, and sent it along for approval. And by the way, you would not believe how all of this has morphed over time. I believe we started off with an Olson rosette/fretboard flourish. Now here we are, miles away!

Steve
Massive kudos to BOTH Kinnaird brothers. You guys just have the lutherie gene.
In response to what you said, I think one of the things about guitar making that always keeps things interesting is that often, a project you are working on departs from the original concept, and morphs and changes along the way, and almost invents itself... And it's good to be doing work that has that kind of creative freedom built in.
The addition of those tiny shell dots in the rosette really did complete the composition.
Old 07-12-2015, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
Massive kudos to BOTH Kinnaird brothers. You guys just have the lutherie gene.
In response to what you said, I think one of the things about guitar making that always keeps things interesting is that often, a project you are working on departs from the original concept, and morphs and changes along the way, and almost invents itself... And it's good to be doing work that has that kind of creative freedom built in.
The addition of those tiny shell dots in the rosette really did complete the composition.
Thanks Steve,

What Steve K said was true about how far this has evolved from the original concept I had in my head. Funny, you think you know what you want and then when it comes right down to it, what you thought you liked, you may not. Kinnaird guitars aka Steve and Ryan, have been great to me, allowing me to help personalize the build while at the same time subtly talking me out of some of the more crazy stuff. Being able to change things as we go rather than being locked in from the beginning has been the best part. This is still evolving and there are still things we have to decide on, but for me at least, this becomes easier when I see the other parts in place.

Thanks again for you support on this thread! And yes, it is crazy to me how the addition of those dots, made such an impact on the overall look!

Tom
Old 07-12-2015, 06:58 AM

Default More build pics.

Steve has been hard at work finishing the main headstock work. Here are some pics of that process:

First, the "ears" have been glued and leveled giving the headstock the width and strength it needs. Ready for overlays and shaping.

Next that GREAT piece of BRW the boys cut from the left over back material is glued onto the front of the headstock:

Clamps out, headstock shaped, and peg holes drilled! Now that is a lovely piece of BRW if I do say so myself!!!

And for those of you who know my penchant for seeing things in grain patterns, look at that bald eagle sitting on top of the rock outcropping with the peghole for the B string through his midchest. I will just ignore the hole as it is a little foreboding for the eagle!

And finally, here is the BRW Steve picked out for the overlay on the back of the headstock. It has been bent to match the volute shape and is ready to be glued. Look closely at that stuff, crazy green colors and grain pattern!!!

Thanks, more to come soon!

Last edited by TomB'sox; 07-12-2015 at 07:38 AM.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

Bald eagle, eh? Love the piece for the back of the headstock--the greens and grain patterns are just crazy! The rosette really turned out beautifully, and the additional accent dots totally make it rock--such a small change, but with so much impact. The rosette has a native american feel to it for me--very awesome! Kudos to you and the missus on your creation...
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 07-12-2015, 11:06 AM

Thanks again Nemoman. It does sort of have that Native American feel, like a necklace of some sort, I have thought that as well. I do like that look a lot.

Here is the Eagle for you....hahaha... Tom

Old 07-12-2015, 02:58 PM
AGF Sponsor

Tom, I don't have the ability to draw on the picture (I could draw on the head itself, but will refrain) so perhaps you could do another...
That extra blob above the eagle makes it all look like one of the statues on Easter Island. Give that a whirl.
Thanks for the kind words,

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 07-12-2015, 06:46 PM

ok I tried, I think my eagle wins out, but whatever each person sees is fine by me, as long as we all agree, I am right

Old 07-13-2015, 08:29 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
ok I tried, I think my eagle wins out, but whatever each person sees is fine by me, as long as we all agree, I am right
Yup, in fact we think you are way cool.

SK

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 07-15-2015, 06:05 AM

Default Work continues

The headstock is routed and purfling is installed....

Old 07-15-2015, 06:08 AM

Default Top Bracing started

Here are a couple of pics of the top bracing being glued....

Thank you for watching.
Old 07-15-2015, 07:39 PM

Default Everyday brings more progress now!

Starting to shape the top braces...

Old 07-15-2015, 07:44 PM

Rim assembly glued up with head and tail blocks...

Old 07-16-2015, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Thanks again Nemoman. It does sort of have that Native American feel, like a necklace of some sort, I have thought that as well. I do like that look a lot.

Here is the Eagle for you....hahaha... Tom

I guess you know what headstock inlay you're going for now!! I really had a good laugh when I saw this, kudos to you and your artistic vision Tom.

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 07-16-2015, 10:10 AM

Artistic vision.....maybe, psychotic issues, probably....
Old 07-16-2015, 10:21 AM

Default Work on arm bevel

I did not know how much work went into the bevels that we never see. Here is a series with Ryan preparing redwood strips, bending them one by one, laminating all 7 layers together and then sanding them into the shape needed to be glued as part of the lining, then to be mostly sanded away in the end anyway!!!!

Done:

Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop