The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-15-2013, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackmoresNight View Post
How much did the chimaera cost you? I'm tempted to sell my 1967 Gibson ES-335 to get one of those.

I've always wanted a doubleneck guitar, and since I'm a primarily acoustic player an acoustic doubleneck would be much more practical. However, they often have to be overbuilt to withstand the extra string pressure and, as a result, lack tonally compared to their single neck counterparts. Some time ago it occurred to me carbon fiber would be for a doubleneck acoustic, and when I heard Emerald was making one it wouldn't be farfetched to say I got a little giddy.
Hey I have a 1967 Gibson J45, one of my Gibson dream guitars is a matching ES-335!! Though My desires does not influence me here. Alistairs brilliance with this guitar includes the price. I don't think I am supposed to discuss price on these posts but for what you get it is a tremendous value. I frankly do not see how he does it at that level. I have played a lot of Carbon guitars and this one is just a gem, that simple. Your biggest concern should be he will raise prices cause orders dictate it. No one does what he does here and sooner or later the world will find out. This guitar is the "practical doubleneck" it is my working guitar. Steve
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom

Last edited by Doubleneck; 04-16-2013 at 05:26 AM.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:30 PM

AGF changed the rule about price talk a while back; it's now okay to discuss guitar pricing. I don't know what the price is for the base version of the Chimaera, but here's what Alistair had to say when he introduced this model on the MacNichol.com forums:

Quote:
We still have to finalise the pickup system and that will dictate the final price but yes it will most likely be a sub 2K guitar.
So, the goal was to be under $2000 for the base model. Don't know where it stands now.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:27 PM

Yes I believe that the goal still is a base model under $2000 but just email Alistair he will tell you what he can do. He is great to work with. Steve
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
Old 04-18-2013, 08:08 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Well, she landed safely at my winter home in Florida a couple of days ago, and I've been spending time getting to know her. I'm overwhelmed on a number of levels.

First, she looks as good as in the pics. As has been reported, the weave/color isn't as pronounced as all the pics of Emeralds seem to indicate when taken in a studio-like environment/quality, but this isn't a bad thing. When the light hits it on certain angles, the color glistens...very beautiful. Steve has mentioned that since the weave sits below a thick layer of clear (or a clear that contains the color), it almost has a 3D effect. I'd agree with that. Pretty cool. The gloss black b&s is fantastic. I love it.

Unlike Steve (Doubleneck) who has a lot of experience with doublenecks, I couldn't have anticipated how the guitar would feel ergonomically in my lap. I had wondered...would it be heavy and awkward ('tho it was reportedly under 5 lbs.)?...Would it be neck heavy? Would the body width feel cumbersome and unwieldy? The answers are no, no and no. It is very light, rivalling any light, standard size 6 string. It is not neck heavy at all...feels quite balanced. Of course, the body is a little wider, but possibly because of its thinness (3.5"), it fits my torso like a glove.

Adjusting to the levels of the necks in relation to that of a standard 6 string first feels strange, but really isn't a problem. Will just take some getting used to. Of course, the 6 neck sits lower than one expects, the 12 higher, with the space in between the two obviously being where you'd expect a neck to be...but isn't. I haven't yet tried playing it standing up, but it shouldn't be an issue. The action is low and spot-on.

It plays real nice. The 6 is smooth and easy. It's not as bright a tone as I thought it might be, which I'm very pleased about. Having very little experience with 12s, its going to take me some time to learn to get the most out of it, and even more time to figure-out how I'll use both necks in some songs. The in-song neck changes are going to be tricky and I'm really fumbling in my playing because of it, but I'm hopeful that practice will take care of that. At this early stage, one thing I have noticed (and so has my wife), is how much more beautiful one particular song I play, an original titled "Fly To The Heavens", sounds when playing part of it on the 12, other parts on the 6 (still nowhere near seamless in the neck changes). It becomes almost angelic in tone. I'm in awe about that, a function that isn't possible on anything other than a doubleneck, and I'm looking forward to experimenting with an instrument that offers a whole other dimension to playing.

Sorry, but I'm not in a position to record anything, at least for the short-term.

As has been said about this guitar and is warranted to repeat yet again, this one is a game-changer in the world of doublenecks.

Last edited by Acousticado; 04-18-2013 at 08:51 AM.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:22 AM

Sounds awesome Tom! If you are ever in the GTA I would love to check it out!
Old 04-18-2013, 10:25 AM

Wow, I am so happy for you! Your comments are so right on, so I know we have the same guitar. As you say the tone is not bright like many of the Emeralds, much woodier. You will find in a month that the necks will feel totally natural. I would recommend a NeckUp it really helped me to play this without a stap and position the necks just right. You can already appreciate that thin body "fitting like a glove". Very cool to already have one song to go between necks! My great frustration are all the people that dismiss this as a novelty. They just never did what you just did. Very Cool. Pictures!! Can't get enough. Steve
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
Old 04-18-2013, 10:40 AM

Tom, this is great! I'll be joining you with the doubleneck in hand within a few weeks or so! Very exciting. Glad to hear your initial report is as positive as that of Steve. Pretty sure whoever gets one of these is going to be very satisfied... Enjoy!
Old 04-18-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownguitaris View Post
Tom, this is great! I'll be joining you with the doubleneck in hand within a few weeks or so! Very exciting. Glad to hear your initial report is as positive as that of Steve. Pretty sure whoever gets one of these is going to be very satisfied... Enjoy!
It will be awesome to hear your thoughts as well, it was so gratifying for me to read Toms words, cause I know that he is experiencing what I did. So difficult to totally put into words but you can tell when someone else is having the same experience.
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
Old 04-18-2013, 01:52 PM

Sure, make me want one more.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackmoresNight View Post
Sure, make me want one more.
Yes... The Doubleneck Chiamera is calling to my soul...still waiting on the Chrome prototype to get to Alistair...
Tom...I felt the joy in your post and think you have your guitar soul mate!!!
Unknown...I am almost as anxious as you are for the arrival of your baby!!!
Steve... Thanks for commissioning ole #1 and getting the Chiaemera ball rolling!!!
Old 04-19-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytone View Post
Yes... The Doubleneck Chiamera is calling to my soul...still waiting on the Chrome prototype to get to Alistair...
Tom...I felt the joy in your post and think you have your guitar soul mate!!!
Unknown...I am almost as anxious as you are for the arrival of your baby!!!
Steve... Thanks for commissioning ole #1 and getting the Chiaemera ball rolling!!!
I didn't commission #1 just ended up with it! A fact that will make me eternally grateful to a Mr. Alistair Hay!
Steve
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson

Last edited by Doubleneck; 04-20-2013 at 06:34 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber